washing wheels

HAT

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I made the same jump in March, skymaster337; traded the NT700 for a new 2015 Trophy SE.

Wish I could have kept the NT700 as well since I really, really liked it during the entire 26,000+ miles I put on it. It was a bomb-proof performer and a great all-around ride. Wife said only one bike in the garage at a time, and while we did quite a bit of two-up riding and trips with the NT, she likes the Trophy much better. The Trophy is a nice bike - agreed it is a top-heavy beast and a little tall for my short legs (when combined with top heaviness) so I am installing lowering kit dog bones to drop it just a wee bit so I feel more stable while stopped. Loved the NT700 and all of the great info and friendly atmosphere on the forum - intend to lurk for awhile longer.

(Will be posting some NT items for sale soon - shop manual, Bestem pannier liner bags, First Gear Onyx magnetic tank bag, if anybody's looking for these items.)

I spend a bit more money I suppose......I buy "Bike Bright" to use when I wash my bike. It works really nicely on wheels, and it rinses off well and isn't hard on the plating, paint or polished bits.

I use the Bike Bright on the tough parts I need to clean (engine, wheels, hubs), and then I rinse it off well....then I proceed to wash the painted items with a good automotive carwash soap. I then use my leaf blower to get as much water off as I can, then towel dry the paint. Then I take the bike for a ride to blow out the trapped water and dry things out (never put a bike away until it is thoroughly dry...if you shove a wet bike into a closed garage with no air flow....the water can stay on the bike a long time and cause rust/corrode things).

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I also take a short ride around the neighborhood after washing the bike. I like getting a little heat and wind to finish drying it off.
I also do the same with my truck but more important on the bike with all it's crevices. Of course this is not really needed (what about riding in the rain?) but it makes me feel better.

Brad

HAT

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Got off track with my earlier post and forgot to include: S100 seems to work OK, but would rather spend time riding - only really clean the wheels maybe two or three times a year.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Hi Charlie,

I see that you wish the NT had 20 more hp and 6 speeds.

Well, I hate to say it, but a week ago I traded in my NT for a 2014 Triumph Trophy SE. The NT simply wasn't able to handle the riding that I do and provide the comfort that I desire. If I were able to own two bikes, the NT would be one of them, but it simply doesn't compare to the Triumph.

Now I have a 1215cc bike with a 6 speed transmission. The Trophy turns 4K at 70, the NT was 5K. Poor motor was screaming for a 6th. AND, the Trophy gets the same mileage as the NT. Creature comforts of the Trophy overwhelm the NT. I have a cruise control, Stock heated grips, amazing audio system with multiple inputs, adjustable windshield, detachable stock trunk and saddle bags and a plethora of other amenities.

I'm a daily rider and needed more capability. I do miss my NT700 but don't regret the trade-in at all. If you're toying with the idea of a much better machine, I highly recommend the Triumph Trophy SE.2014 Trophy.jpg
I also made a bike switch. In late November I acquired a bright blue 2009 Goldwing with 11,669 miles on it. I had coveted the Goldwing since seeing a GL1200 Aspencade at Fort Jackson SC back in 1980. I am short, 5' 6", 28 inch inseam, and find the Goldwing easier to handle at stops than the NT.

Check out Two Wheeled Texans and come to some Pie Runs. The next one I make will be July in Nacogdoches.

Bike
2011 NT, 2014 FJR
S100 cleaner- the foaming version in the tall red aerosol can. I spray it on and follow that with a car wash mitt and a bucket of hot soapy water. Melts off any goo on the wheels. The S100 is amazing stuff. Spray it on the entire bike and just hose it off.
Where can you get the S100 stuff? Not at my local WalMart.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[Car wash soap, a bucket, and a microfiber glove...You can do the entire bike with it. Just remember rinse the glove often...]

To avoid scratching the paint, I purposely use a different cloth or brush to do the wheels and always do them last after all the paint & brightwork is clean.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I wash the entire bike with car wash--including the wheels. After rinsing the bike, I spray the wheels with "Clean Shower", wait a few minutes and rinse. Seems to do the job nicely. I dry the bike with a leaf blower.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
No amount of washing is going to help my NT. Its plastic is all grey, the badges have fallen off the large lids, a persistent coolant leak has sprayed green drops all along the right side cases and the wheels are a solid gray/black color. A real road warrior.

Bike
Black NT700VA-8 ABS
Check for leaks on the seals on the little external tube connecting the cylinder barrels deep in the 'V'. May also show up when bike is on sidestand. Couple of o rings (and possibly tube) might need replacing, not expensive but fiddly - but can be done without removing the engine!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
My leak is coming from the radiator hose that connects to the radiator on the top right. You can only get to it to tighten the clamp by removing the plastic. Is seems to only leak when it gets real cold. It does not leak in the summer although I am sure it will get worse over time. These things seldom fix themselves. Fortunately the leak is slow enough I only have to add coolant to the overflow bottle about once a month. When I take in in to the dealer in the spring to have the valves checked I will have them tighten the clamp.

Last edited:
Top Bottom