washing wheels

skiper

just wondering what folks are doing to wash nt wheels , i'm using sponge because manual said don't use brush. believe it could be extra caution so paint doesn't come off alloy rim. would like to use soft nylon brush - hot soapy water, but why experiment - what youze guys doin and anyone chip the paint yet ? ralph

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
just wondering what folks are doing to wash nt wheels , i'm using sponge because manual said don't use brush. believe it could be extra caution so paint doesn't come off alloy rim. would like to use soft nylon brush - hot soapy water, but why experiment - what youze guys doin and anyone chip the paint yet ? ralph
I've used soapy water and a rag to wipe the wheels.
I've used Simple Green and a rag to wipe the wheels.
I've used Windex and a rag to wipe the wheels.
I've used a toothbrush and the above cleaners to get into the crevices.

No chipping or damage has resulted. :)

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
I use regular car wash diluted in a bucket with water and a rag. For the stubborn stains try Tuff Stuff cleaner in the spray can, works very good for that and for vinyl, rubber, etc...

Bike
2010 NT700V
Car wash soap, a bucket, and a microfiber glove. It has micro fiber strings hanging off of it and looks like a Chewbakka. They sell for under $10. You can do the entire bike with it. Just remember rinse the glove often.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I spray on simple green and let it soak for a few minutes and then rinse it off with a sponge and warm water. If you read the UK list you will see some members talking about the paint flaking off and having to repaint the wheels. These might be much older models than ours however.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I gave up on cleaning the wheels. As soon asthey're clean, they're dirty again!

skymaster337

I read several comments about using Simple Green. In my experience, it does only an adequate job of cleaning the wheels.

A MUCH better cleaner is the old standby, Formula 409. The stuff is like magic!

Give it a try and I'm sure you'll be convinced.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Simple Green works better when diluted to roughly 50/50
A toothbrush on the textured area will do the trick if you haven't waited too long

Skymaster where are you in TX? Richardson here

silshooter

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Simple Green should not be used on aluminum.
RedNigel, if you are out and about in the morning I will be at Dallas Pistol Club...Will be on my NT.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have switched from Simple Green mixed with water to Lestoil mixed with water. I put it in a spray bottle to spray it on then rinse it off with a sponge and clean water. I find it breaks up the grease and brake dust better.

silshooter

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Look at the Simple Green faq's, using it on aluminum has some restrictions. It will exacerbate oxidation on aluminum without proper usage and cleaning.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The Simple Green prohibition on alum is aimed at untreated/unpainted aluminum.

skymaster337

Hi Charlie,

I see that you wish the NT had 20 more hp and 6 speeds.

Well, I hate to say it, but a week ago I traded in my NT for a 2014 Triumph Trophy SE. The NT simply wasn't able to handle the riding that I do and provide the comfort that I desire. If I were able to own two bikes, the NT would be one of them, but it simply doesn't compare to the Triumph.

Now I have a 1215cc bike with a 6 speed transmission. The Trophy turns 4K at 70, the NT was 5K. Poor motor was screaming for a 6th. AND, the Trophy gets the same mileage as the NT. Creature comforts of the Trophy overwhelm the NT. I have a cruise control, Stock heated grips, amazing audio system with multiple inputs, adjustable windshield, detachable stock trunk and saddle bags and a plethora of other amenities.

I'm a daily rider and needed more capability. I do miss my NT700 but don't regret the trade-in at all. If you're toying with the idea of a much better machine, I highly recommend the Triumph Trophy SE.2014 Trophy.jpg

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Congratulations on the Triumph, Skymaster! They’re great machines and I’ve heard great things about them. But they’re too heavy for me and my decrepit knees. Enjoy!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Hi Charlie,

I see that you wish the NT had 20 more hp and 6 speeds.

Well, I hate to say it, but a week ago I traded in my NT for a 2014 Triumph Trophy SE. The NT simply wasn't able to handle the riding that I do and provide the comfort that I desire. If I were able to own two bikes, the NT would be one of them, but it simply doesn't compare to the Triumph.

Now I have a 1215cc bike with a 6 speed transmission. The Trophy turns 4K at 70, the NT was 5K. Poor motor was screaming for a 6th. AND, the Trophy gets the same mileage as the NT. Creature comforts of the Trophy overwhelm the NT. I have a cruise control, Stock heated grips, amazing audio system with multiple inputs, adjustable windshield, detachable stock trunk and saddle bags and a plethora of other amenities.

I'm a daily rider and needed more capability. I do miss my NT700 but don't regret the trade-in at all. If you're toying with the idea of a much better machine, I highly recommend the Triumph Trophy SE.2014 Trophy.jpg
Nice choice.

Yes, when I was looking for another bike I considered the Trophy as well as the Sprint, and the FJR, BMW RT, Honda ST, Connie and MG Norge (all used, not new). I finally came to the conclusion that I like my MG T5 the way it is. The rest all have too much power or too much weight or both (or in the Norge case just too many issues and no cruise control). The BMW F800GT is actually what comes closest to my ideal touring bike. The F800ST version was too buzzy and the new price on the GT is astronomical (IMHO). I may have to try a used one in a couple of years when the T5 gets a bit more weary.

Top Bottom