16,000 Miles service coming up

CSMRider

I will be there unless the MG changes my mind. Will probably opt for the 4WD Sierra rather than ride the NT down.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I just got my bike back today from the 16,000 mile service. Guess I got my money's worth out of the service deal I got when the bike was new. The dealership charged $300 for 3 years of regular services. I'm at 1 year and 3 months now.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I just got my bike back today from the 16,000 mile service. Guess I got my money's worth out of the service deal I got when the bike was new. The dealership charged $300 for 3 years of regular services. I'm at 1 year and 3 months now.
Well, your dealer lost money on that deal. Using the labor rate of 95 dollars an hour. (which is the local rate at the shops here) Three and a half hours used up your 300 dollars for just one service, not counting parts and materials. I have more than three hours in my service and I have not even checked/adjusted the valves yet or put the bikes plastic back together. It took me almost and hour to get the oil filter off the bike as I must have put it on too tight last time. Followed the torque specs and it was still too tight. Took me a couple of hours to change and bleed the brake fluid. Took almost a half hour to replace the plugs and the plastic was already off. Make sure they checked the valves, as that is the most labor intensive task. Not saying they did not. Trust but verify. If I had a deal like that and I could be sure it was all done correctly, then the bike would be in the shop today.Of course I do take my time and over check myself and I only pull the NT down about once a year or so. Have to relearn all the shot cuts and how to's.
Glad you got a deal and it works for you.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Wish I could be there, too, but I'm in Wichita for Joanne's 50th reunion. Had a good ride and enjoyed camping at Kanopolis State Park last night. I'll post a ride report and pictures will follow.

Tom, just 'splain to the MG that you're busy with important motorcycle business and can't do anything for him tomorrow. I'm sure he'd understand. :)

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Got back home this evening, so I will try to be there tomorrow, if I get up early enough!

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Good morning all. I looked out the window and figured that those that are coming to my place today will be bring there cage. Weather is a bit wet & white this morning.See you all at 9.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Well today was a success. Tracker from the Springs, CSM Rider from Cheyenne, and Red Bird from Lyons, showed up to observe the valve check and help with the removal of the rear wheel. I want to thank them for there help. And thank the SMG for lunch. I am going to change the tire tomorrow, and then spend a couple of days putting the bike all back together. The valves were a bit on the tight side but still with in the spec range, so no adjustments were done. I suspect at the next 24k mile service they will need to be adjusted. Cyl 1 left intake .006, Cyl 1 right intake .006, Cyl 1 left exh .007, Cyl 1 right exh .007, Cyl 2 left intake .005, Cyl 2 right intake .005, Cyl 2 left exh .007, Cyl 2 right exh. .007, inches. Pulled the rear wheel and inspected the splines. Was surprised that the molly past from last tire change (9500 mile ago) was all dried up and it looked like some water had gotten in. Reddish color. Cleaned it all up and re-lubed with Honda Molly 60. The splines are showing very slight wear. Can't get a picture of it. I am going to post a thread about the three O rings that every body forgets about, during a tire change. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

CSMRider

I had fun today Chuck & learned allot from you. I also learned Kens laugh is kind of infectious. It's a hearty laugh, kind of like a little Santa. It was my pleasure to buy you lunch, it was the least I could do for all the training I received. Love your house you live like a king. I want to be like you when I grow up.

With Respect,
CSMRider/Tom

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Hey, Tom, I guess you did make it down to Aurora. Ignore my question in the previous post. :)

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
16,000 miles service is completed to include a rear tire change. No extra hardware, No shorts of hardware, all fasteners went back where they were suppose to. hardest part was the installation of the rear wheel and the exhaust system, doing it by my self. An extra body would be very helpful when doing those tasks. Good for another year and then will have to do it all over again. Of course it is now snowing and very cold outside so I cant go test ride it. Guess that will have to wait until next week.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
How much snow have you gotten, Chuck? It spit a bit of rain here in Wichita earlier today and is supposed to get down to 30F tonight. Tomorrow I ride south a few miles and the, toward the end of the day, I'll head west on 160.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
How much snow have you gotten, Chuck? It spit a bit of rain here in Wichita earlier today and is supposed to get down to 30F tonight. Tomorrow I ride south a few miles and the, toward the end of the day, I'll head west on 160.
Just spitting small flakes/rain. They are not sticking and will be gone in the morning. The cold is worse.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
I'll sure second the idea that the cold is worse! We went from low 80s during the day to below freezing during the day. I'll be glad when fall comes back this coming week.
Thank you Chuck! I appreciete the invitation and I'm glad I made it home in time to attend (though I was a half hour late). I got a review of the valve check, and a first hand -- and hands on -- look at what it takes to remove the rear tire. It reminded me that I need to order the 3 o-rings and some exaust gaskets as a precaution. I'm sure your test ride will confirm that everything was done correctly.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Did any of the valves need to be adjusted, Chuck?
The valves were a bit on the tight side but still with in the spec range, so no adjustments were done. I suspect at the next 24k mile service they will need to be adjusted. Cyl 1 left intake .006, Cyl 1 right intake .006, Cyl 1 left exh .007, Cyl 1 right exh .007, Cyl 2 left intake .005, Cyl 2 right intake .005, Cyl 2 left exh .007, Cyl 2 right exh. .007, inches.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Mine's going in for a 30,000 mile (48,000 kilometre) 36 month service at my local Honda dealer in France. Valves, the works - plus fork oil service, rear brake pads and a new front tyre. I've been quoted $970 (750 euros) .

Top Bottom