Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Camping-The Basics - What do I need?

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Re: Camping-The Basics - What do I need?

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Chris View Post
    ref: Just be careful with the food issue. In all my camping the only time I've heard of a bear nearby was in a residential looking campground in Lake Tahoe where a bear went through the trash containers about 100 ft away.
    Very good point. I have never been to a south west lake Tahoe campground where the bears DIDNT roam around at night looking for food. Many campgounds with bear issues, like the exquisit Colter Bay campground on Jackson lake in the Tetons (where there is a camping section for bicyclists and motorcyclists) have steel food containers. Dont leave anything that smells good in or on the bike....
    this raven got my gooey roll at Old Faithful!
    Those birds are smart out there. I was at Norris Geyser Basin in Yellowstone last June and one got my Raven Bag (go figure) open and was pulling out crackers and a few other items within 3 minutes after I walked away. As I ran for the bike he took off with the cheese I had put in there for the days snack. LOL. Had to put bungie nets over everything to keep them from stealing me blind while I was walking the Basin. Could see where they had tried every zipper when I got back.

› Site Search for: Camping-The Basics - What do I need?
    Duane

It's all about the Journey....... Not a Destination !

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Emergency Blanket or Bivy;
    I read through a bunch of these however didn't see one thing I will mention. Last year the first week of June we made our way to the Tetons and Yellowstone before heading back into Montana, Wyoming and SD. I took a 40 degree bag and a liner and have been good down into the 30's with that. Well that was fine for all but three nights in the Tetons and Yellowstone when temps surprised us and dropped into the low 20's with a good wind. I had my underarmor tights, top, fleece pullover, socks etc on and was still having difficulty staying warm so I dug out my trusty, go with me everywhere, cheap emergency blanket and wrapped it around my other bag. Instant relief ! ! I used that emergency blanket three nights till we got back into warmer temps in Wyoming and SD. I have always carried one while hiking, camping, bicycle touring, etc. and am soo glad I had one with me on that trip. Just something easy to carry and could keep you warm or even save your life in an emergency.

My Gallery

And they pack small enough that I carry two of them in my tank bag.
    2010 Honda NT (sold), 1984 Moto Guzzi 850T5
    2009 Dodge 3/4T diesel, 2011 Honda Element
    "I wish the NT had 20 more hp and 6 speeds..."

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

is the emergency blanket something you could use in lieu of a real blanket?

Administrator
    (Threadstarter)
    2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

I carry a 15 degree sleeping bag and exped mattress, I have camped in a 40 degree bad and same mattress before in the 20's and was fine. Insulating from the ground is key in my opinion.

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by RedNigel View Post
    is the emergency blanket something you could use in lieu of a real blanket?
    Well, not really. It doesn't provide any insulation. It's Mylar, so it it reflects heat and is windproof. You wrap it shiny side in to reflect your own heat back to you or shiny side out to protect you from heat.
    George

My Gallery

Camping-The Basics - What do I need?

Can anyone measure the internal dimensions of the side bags and pass through? I'm going Memorial Day sale shopping tonight for gear and have 1 hour after work to get to EMS or REI before close.

Also where can I buy Mylar? Home Depot or do the aforementioned stores carry it?
    Last edited by Ride; 05-13-2015 at 09:56 PM.

My Gallery

The Mylar things are called Space Blankets or emergency blankets.

http://www.rei.com/product/407104/sp...rgency-blanket

My Gallery

I was never planning to camp out with my motorcycle, but your post sure makes it an attractive idea. Thanks, Mello. You're an expert in my book.

+ New Posts
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011