[How To] Camping-The Basics - What do I need?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm happy with my REI Half Dome 2+ tent, but it would sure be nice if it had an extra 6" of height.

Oh, I am getting faster. I put it up in under ten minutes the last time. I'll get it down to five minutes easy.

Husker

Bike
Red 2010 NT700V
That's a good list . The boy scout in me requires that I have some stout rope for clothes line or for whatever. I find it comes in handy for a lot of stuff and doesn't take up a lot of room.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
That's a good list . The boy scout in me requires that I have some stout rope for clothes line or for whatever. I find it comes in handy for a lot of stuff and doesn't take up a lot of room.
Yes sir, great idea.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Stout rope? I ALWAYS carry a bundle of parachute cord with me. Learned about it as a cadet and have kept some around ever since.

Only caution is when stringing it up around camp, the OD color blends in, so make sure the lines are marked so a visitor in your camp doesn't trip/choke themselves.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I have some bright orange cord I keep on the bike, never used it but hard to lose.. LOL

elizilla

I am pretty awkward and the biggest struggles in motorcycling, for me, come when I'm climbing on and off the bike, and maneuvering at parking lot speeds. Especially when I am tired, which I nearly always am by the time I get to a campground. And a lot of campgrounds have dicey surfaces to maneuver on, which makes all this even harder. If I have a lotta junk strapped on my passenger seat, it adds to the struggle of getting on and off the bike. And extra weight strapped high up, means more low speed handling difficulties.

Therefore I am all about getting a tent with a small enough pack size, that I can carry it inside a case. Preferably a side case! I like to have a nearly empty top case, which I can put my helmet in, groceries, an occasional six pack - but nothing that has to go in there for the entire trip. Keep the weight down for better low speed handling!

But I agree that a larger tent is more comfortable. So I am always on the prowl for a tent that will pack smaller and set up larger. That's why I decided to try the Morpho airbeam tent, even though it was spendy. I don't think I gained as much as I hoped, though - with my Eureka tents I have always been easily able to pack them smaller than the specs claimed, but it's a major struggle to pack the Morpho down to the size the specs claimed. You can't compare the Eureka specs to the Morpho specs. I did reduce my pack size a little, but nearly as much as I had hoped.

Since the Ural has a completely different type of awkwardness than the Super10 does, and that awkwardness has nothing to do with how much I carry, I am shopping for a much larger tent to carry when I travel on the Ural. Like a five or six person dome, with a high roof.

I have a Eureka Timeberlite 3 that I use for camping when I camp with another person. This tent doesn't seem to be made any more, and it's a little more complicated than most. But it has the best ratio of pack size to set-up size, of any tent I have ever found. It fits in a side case and it's tolerable for two people.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I am shopping for a much larger tent to carry when I travel on the Ural. Like a five or six person dome, with a high roof.
With the cargo capacity of your Ural, and as easily as it can be set up to pull a center mount trailer, I suggest shopping where Barnum & Bailey does...:D If my wife and I decide to go "camping" we are also looking at six person high domes like the Marmot Limestone 6P or the Halo 6P.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I am pretty much ready for Spearfish, Got a Wolfman 26" waterproof duffel that holds the tent, air matress,sleeping bag, LED Camp Lantern,etc With the large panniers and top case, that should do the job. All I need now is the lightweight fleece underwear, a couple pair of the lightweight pants with the zip off pant legs, and a couple pair of cheap bicycle shorts. The duffel straps nicely to the bike.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I am pretty much ready for Spearfish, Got a Wolfman 26" waterproof duffel that holds the tent, air matress,sleeping bag, LED Camp Lantern,etc With the large panniers and top case, that should do the job. All I need now is the lightweight fleece underwear, a couple pair of the lightweight pants with the zip off pant legs, and a couple pair of cheap bicycle shorts. The duffel straps nicely to the bike.
Sounds good Alex. One thing I try to do is not put anything like stoves/gas canisters/lanterns in my duffel, doesn't take much vibration to wear a hole in a bag. I try to keep that stuff in the side or top box.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Thanks, Joe. I guess that would also apply to the tent poles and stakes even if they are in cases, I was thinking that clothes, my mesh MC Jacket and soft stuff would go in the duffel all packed in Zip Locs. Tool bag shop manual tent poles and stakes would go in the right pannier, while the notebook computer, boat shoes, extra gloves, and toiletries would go in the top case. The left pannier would hold my Icon riding pants and a pair of sliders. I'll be wearing the other pair of sliders when I ride. I don't like to carry fuel containers in an enclosed space, I'm looking toward finding a spot where I can mount a bicycle water bottle holder to carry a small LPG Cylinder. Once I have everything assembled, I'll practice packing in the most efficient and balanced fashion keeping heavier stuff low. The tank bag will hold the camera, cell phone, maps,paperwork like passport and MC registration and insurance, a water bottle, and stuff I need often. Anything I forget, I am sure can be bought on the road.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I like to keep my sunblock, chapstick, and bug repellent handy. I also keep reading glasses, a cleaning kit for my face shield, and a cork screw for the merlot bottle in my fairing pocket.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I always pack the "hard" stuff separate from the "soft" stuff. Things like stove, tent poles, pegs, pots, etc all go in a separate bag (mine is canvas and not waterproof). Tent, air mattress and sleeping bag go in dry bag. (if it is raining/wet when packing I put wet stuff in plastic garbage bag before stuffing in the dry bag). Clothes and such go in a separate dry bag (or in hard luggage compartment). Other soft stuff (food, layered clothing, etc) go int their own compartments/bags.

The objective is to be able to set up camp without needing to unload anything else. Get to my clothes by picking up one bag (or getting in one compartment). Toiletries in another. Food in another, etc, etc. Stuff for riding during the day goes in the tank bag.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
The objective is to be able to set up camp without needing to unload anything else.
Yup, that's how I organize things... One bag is my tent setup.

Another bag is my inside-the-tent sleeping gear. So, I can pack and un-pack that inside the tent in case it's raining. Everything else is just extra stuff in the bike.

Bike
Honda NT700V
Re: the tankbag, the only thing of value that goes in is my camera. Things like my passport (especially), bike papers and phone go in pockets in my jacket. Everything else of value except for my camping gear is locked in the panniers or top case. That way, when I walk away from the bike, I don't need to worry about something being ripped off.

Since everyone approaches the bike from the left, it's natural to pack the stuff you need ready access to in the left pannier. The problem is that when you're parked on the side stand and open the pannier, all your crap falls on the ground. I now put the stuff I need least often in the left pannier. The stuff I'm going to carry into a motel every night goes in a bag in the right pannier or in the top box. Makes it easier to load and unload the bike.

edit: Oh, yeah, and experience has taught me that zip lock bags tend not to last long, so it's a good idea to carry extras or use something else.

further edit: I used to carry my clothes in 2 gallon zip locks. Put the pile of clothes in the bag, sit on it and zip it up. Squeezes out the air and saves space (and keeps stuff dry). It's cheap and it works for awhile, but those heavy clothing storage bags work better.

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I agree somewhat. I never leave ID or phone on the bike. Things like my tablet are in a locked compartment.

My camera is stowed on or in the side pocket of the tank bag for easy access while riding (yes I take pictures while riding). It is not expensive enough to bother me if it is stolen. And it is on a tether to the bike so it takes a good 20 seconds to steal instead of just 5 :)

I use a large tank bag on trips. Rain gear and a sweatshirt will fit in there, along with a hat, rags, first aid kit, drugs, pocket knife and/or leatherman and maybe a candy bar or something similar).

I agree about the left and right pannier. I am tempted to put a harley muffler on so I can open the right side lid more than I can now (large lids do have that one drawback).

When stopping for the night I try to find a place to put the bike on the center stand (yes, if it is really windy I will stake it down with a couple ropes). Much easier to load and unload. The benefit to the Guzzi is the ammo cans I use for panniers also double as "tables" when it is on the center stand :)

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Sounds good Alex. One thing I try to do is not put anything like stoves/gas canisters/lanterns in my duffel, doesn't take much vibration to wear a hole in a bag. I try to keep that stuff in the side or top box.
Yes to that. BTW,if you ever see any of these aluminum boxes/aka pots that Coleman made for its Peak one stove, its very handy for storeing the new generations Primus stoves. I like Mountain House Freeze dried food so I can boil water in a jiffy with this
kit. Two pots together measure 5 in by 5 in by 6 inches and include a pot holder. I also put in a spare stove the size of a pack of playing cards that cost less than 8 bucks but really works well...Nicole got one too.
Look at the ratings it has gotten.
http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpacking-Canister-Stove-Ignition/dp/B004U8CP88/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366745041&sr=8-1&keywords=backpacking+stove

See stove kit packed in this pic. Note that white bag contains everything I need to camp ...book, hammer, flashlights, stakes, fire, utensiles, knife, bug juice, lattern, electric airmatress pump and spare batteries. And sundries!

Last edited:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Chris,
Thanks for the Heads Up on that stove and the Coleman utensils. I think I will get the stove from Amazon and look for the Coleman utensils at Wal Mart---or find something similar at LL Bean or Cabelas.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
As Spearfish approaches there are more and more questions as to what gear to buy and how to pack it. I have all of my gear either at hand or waiting for arrival by UPS. I still need to practice pitching the tent and figuring out the best way to pack. I have the Bestem Pannier liners which I plan to pack. I also have a Wolfman 26" duffel that fits on the pillion. With my medium size top case and my large pannier lids, I should be fine. I still need to figure out what to take in clothes. Like, should I pack my Icon ARC overpants and my two pair of Sliders Kevlar Jeans. I ride with the Sliders most of the time. The ARCs are waterproof and windproof and quite comfortable. In the summer I wear them with just bicycle shorts underneath. I think that I will leave my black leather jacket at home, and wear my Tourmaster Raven jacket. That can handle the worst cold. I'll pack my Rocket Mesh jacket with the zip in waterproof lining for the warmer days. I am still debating if I should wear my Rocket Meteor Boots--which are low cut, or my Rocket Sonic Boots, which are 10". Both are exceptionally comfortable. I am leaning toward the Sonics, and taking a pair of boat shoes for land navigation. I am now at the piont where I need to practice pitching the tent and finding the best spot to stow things. I do plan to take a bike cover with me. I will have to find a compression sack to fit it in.---will try LL Bean or Cabelas. Overall I am set. All I have to deal with is The Blessing of the Motorcycles and the annual Triethalon for which I am the Head Wrench. I can take almost all of July off only having to be back on the 24th to prep for our annual Pig Roast on the 27th. I may even leave toward the end of June to give me more time.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
The clothes you'll want depends on where you will ride. Last year on the way to Spearfish it was 106 degrees when I pulled into Pierre SD on the way out. On the way back I took the scenic route which took me over the Beartooth pass and it was snowing there. And from Red Lodge east it rained hard for 100 miles. Those were the extremes. The high country can be pretty cool in mid summer, and the plains can be real hot with lots of wind and little shade. So you need to be prepared for 100 + degrees on the flats to the 30's in the mountains. The amount of clothes you want to bring will depend on if you want to avoid stopping at a laundry during your trip.

For me, I take one pair of riding pants (Darian), one pair of riding jeans, one pair of regular jeans, one pair of shorts, one riding jacket (Darian), electric vest, sweatshirts, tee shirts, swimming trunks, riding boots, loafing or shower shoes, and hat.

Tent, air matress, sleeping bag, and pillow go in a dry bag on pillion. Clothes, towel, and toiletries go in Ortlieb duffel on pillion (I added a small luggage rack). Camping stuff (like stove, pots, utensils, and new this year a chair) and my tools go in the panniers and just stays there if I camp in a motel. I often put a stretch net over the stuff on the pillion just to have a handy place to stuff something in a hurry without opening something up. ROK straps hold the two bags on the pillion. If the tent is wet I don't put it in the dry bag because it just turns it into a fermentation bag.

At a campsite almost everything comes off the bike. But at a motel I just unhook the ROK straps and carry in the two bags from the pillion and my tank bag. The rest of the stuff stays in the panniers. That's the distinction I make when packing the bike. I've been trying for years to cut down on what I bring, but I consistently bring too much, while at the same time forgetting something every trip. Planning is good, but obsessing about it takes all the fun out of it.

Try a local overnighter if you've never moto-camped before. It might give you some confidence and ideas.

I can't wait to get going.

Top Bottom