Possible solution to the pannier latch issue

slider

Yep saw that video long ago and from day one (it's day 3) I gingerly shut them with two hands right where the latches are. Works for 3 days anyway. :D

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm guessing I'm missing a spring on the back latch on the right side. The metal plate that's not visible when the latch is open properly is sitting right there in the middle of opening and I can't push it out of the way. My right bag has nothing in it and the back latch striker has been removed and taped to the inside of the bag. I'll get it in to Sun Honda in the next couple of weeks and see if I can get it all fixed under warranty.

I'd gone a long time with no trouble, but now, in addition to that, the piece of plastic that the strikers attach to has cracked for about 8-9" right where it joins the bag on my right side big lid.

:-(

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Well, slider, I am a noob here, but old military habits die hard. It is less of a mistake to assume that someone doesn't know something than to assume they do.

Bike
Honda NT700V
I gingerly shut them with two hands right where the latches are
It's also helpful to press in on the lid gently when opening it. That takes the load off the mechanism, particularly when there's stuff inside pressing against the lid.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I use my latches at least four time a day and I treat them very gently but after reading so many reports on broken and cracked parts it appears I may have to face the inevitable latch problem. I hope when it happens I am close to home.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
As long as you don't slam the lids shut, and, don't overload them, they should last for the life of the bike. That 11lb limit is on there for a reason. But, I have found I can overstuff them with light things, like layers of insulated riding gear, and stress the latches.

Tabascokid

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but did you ever get around to doing that pictorial, BobAgain? I've just received two new interior saddlebags for my NT and I want to reinforce the area before I fit them over the weekend. Some tips and experience would be really appreciated! Cheers!

Top Bottom