Dont scold me: I'm just asking!!!

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I have 8300 miles on the NT and I fully intend to have the 8K service done this week or next.
I do have a question for the gearheads;
What is the potential downside to omitting the valve check at 8K???

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Your guess is as good as mine. I skipped it with no ill effects. Do you know if it was done at 600 miles?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've done them every 8K but I'm at this stage, I'm going to double that interval.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Do you know if it was done at 600 miles?
Rich
I had it done at 900 miles and they did do some small adjustments
My only thing is now that I know the 8K is up, I hear the top end more than I used to, and I dont know if it's for real or just my guilty conscience...
The bike is running better than ever; in fact, it seems like its just now coming into its own, and I am starting to understand how it wants to be ridden
???

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
tough decision!

if the 600 mile required adjustment that could have just been an error from its manufacture. if it was caused by normal use, then they could be out of spec again.

if it were me, i'd take the plunge and have them checked. if they are within spec, then you could consider skipping the next one, knowing the original 600 mile check was likely the original culprit.

p.s. i'm NOT a gearhead - so what i'm saying may not even be worthy of consideration!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I guess it depends on how bad you need the $400. I would have the valve check done because the result of not having it done could end up being a damaged engine. I don't think its worth the risk. Perhaps when you have done several of them and they never change then it might be worth skipping them.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
When they are on the loose side they make more noise and you can loose some power. Tight and you can burn the valves up due to a lack of cooling among other problems and you get to pay for fixing it all...Ask Jimmy the Greek about the odds of getting into trouble I don't know. Honda recommends it to be safe. Better Safe than sorry in this case for my odds book.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Mine had the 600 and I checked them at about 8300 and no adjustment was needed. So I have skipped the next one and am going to check them in the next month or so as I now have over 22,000 on it. I hear a bit of a tick so likely a little loose. As a prior mechanic, I would do the 8000 like others mentioned and then skip the next one if they do not require any adjustments. If you just need to skip it for a short time, it shouldn't hurt to run over the 8000 if you are hearing a little ticking. That's always better than being quiet truthfully. As a prior Honda mechanic, if mine didn't get a little noisey before next service I would get concerned. Too much clearence (ticking) is way better than not enough, which could keep a valve from seating and cause valve damage. Too loose will just cause some noise and lousy performance.

DJ

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
As a prior Honda mechanic, if mine didn't get a little noisey before next service I would get concerned. Too much clearence (ticking) is way better than not enough, which could keep a valve from seating and cause valve damage. Too loose will just cause some noise and lousy performance.

DJ
DJ, does wear normally cause valves to get looser or tighter?

Bike
75 Honda CB360/Buell P3
I'm dropping it off as soon as I get off work today!
Then I won't have to worry about it.
Ahhh, peace of mind...that's what motorcycling is all about. The best rides are when the rider is confident in his/her bike (one with motorcycle).

A word of advice:
Ask the mechanic to write down what the current valves tappet measurements are. This is important if you want to estimate whether or not your next visit is in +8k or say +12-16k miles if you catch my drift. (but don't go telling the mechanic that;))

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I bought a service contract and a four year warranty. The bike goes in for scheduled service and I don't touch it.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I had mine done at 8000 and not ever since. Like stated above, normal wear will make them noisier but little else. Unless a locknut comes loose they should be good for 50k or more. There just isn't that much wear on a valve train on an engine as lightly stressed as the NT.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Just as an asside, valves that are too loose, I am told, do produce more wear were the cam wacks the rocker.
Screw ajusters are funny things. I have owned many bikes with them and they seldom change much, but I am real slow and methodical when I set them.
For instance, I am careful to set both valves on one forked rocker as close to the same as possible and I kept records on my connie over the last 9 years. Once, there was
an interesting un-explained 2 thou. change on two valves at the 8,000 mile check. Then no change at all on any valve on the next check.
My Honda CRV, which does 2900 rpm at 60 mph (manual tranny) needs its first adjustment at 110,000 miles "unless they are making noise".
I am going to have Honda do the 8,000 mile check on my NT and then do the rest of them. If I find nothing amiss at 16,000 , I will probably go longer, especially if it looks like I could hurt a sensor, etc.
One thing I found out on my last C10 valve ajustment was I wasnt worth crap at estimating screw nut torque. I was so shocked I tried two torque wrenches.....from now on, I use a torque wrench on the nuts.
BTW, what is the torque on the NT nuts?

Some day some I will have the valves checked but at 26k+ I still have not had it done and get 50+mpg and nothing weird going on yet. Call it a little experiment.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Sam
Thanks for that info about high revs
I dont ride my bike hard, but when I travel I spend most of my time well above 5 grand, so I can see needing to at least check them when Honda sez to.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
no kidding!
I am always amazed at how violent the internal combustion process is and how much of that these little engines endure without a whimper

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I hadn't thought about it in those terms, Sam. That means that mine is well over 212 million revolutions! Figuring that when it's in any lower gear it's turning more than 4250 revolutions per mile, it's probably up in the 230-240 million revolution range.

Engine reliability is amazing and for, that matter, so is lubrication technology!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris,
on page 9-3 of the Honda Service Manual -
Valve adjusting screw lock nut torque value = 23 N?m (2.3 kgf?m, 17 lbf?ft)
Thanks, Mike!
I have to agree with Phil. Over the last 50 years, There have been really remarkable increases in metalurgy, manufacturing processes, lubricants, electronics, and general design that make our bikes and cars live a whole lot longer with a whole lot less maintenance. I bet my NT will outlast any Chevy Vega still out there! :)

Top Bottom