Moly paste... And Tire changing?

Bike
2010 NT700V
The service manual list the use of honda moly 60 paste for the rear tire assembly to the gear box. What are you guys using?

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I also use the moly 60. It is easy to get from Honda and a tube will last a long time.
I have read somewhere that it is very important to use the right stuff on the Honda splines to prevent damage.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
It sounds like everyone on the Forum survived Sandy without the turmoil and destruction that those close to the shore suffered. We're glad of that even as we pray for them ... and contribute to their recovery. We'll be taking offerings for assistance to Sandy's victims for the next few weeks.

BTW, to put this thread back on topic for just a second, back when I had my Concours, most of us used Honda Moly 60 to lube our splines. It's the best.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I use some moly paste grease I got from the Triumph dealer that gets my tires for me.

bicyclist

BMW has supplied several spline lube products over the years, but all the old timers use Honda Moly 60 on their BMWs. It works.

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
We all used Honda moly 60 on our Vulcan 750s. Wear rubber gloves....

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Honda moly 60 paste costs $12 delivered on Amazon...I wonder what the dealers are asking?

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Honda moly 60 paste costs $12 delivered on Amazon...I wonder what the dealers are asking?
I just bought a Tube today to replace my 3 year old tube that I used up yesterday on my ST13. My dealer price was $10.39, but I get a 10% discount so my price was $9.35. If you are just using it for your NT. It should last a good 5 years or longer. That is at a rate of one tire change a year or so. A Little bit goes a long-way, but do be liberal when applying it.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks! I will check with my dealer when I take the front wheel in, hopefully tomarrow. There is a spline and a coupler on the Kawasaki ZG1000 that I use Moly on, but I just did that last year when I put on a new rear tire....

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The cost of Moly 60 is insignificant when you consider that a single tube lasted me more than 10 years. Yes, you could probably find cheaper grease that claims a moly content but why?

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Quoting my reply in the "3 O-rings" thread:

The BikeBandit part numbers given by Michael (thanks Michael!) have what look like metric sizes associated with them, which are:

PN: 91302-MA-003 bikebandit PN: 730641, 61X2
PN: 91358-MB0-000 bikebandit PN: 731179, 46.5X3.5
PN: 91356-MB0-005 bikebandit PN: 731157, 35.2X2.4

The problem is, none of these sizes are "standard." Can anyone verify these sizes? The reason I ask is that the Honda prices are outrageous (as usual) and I would like to buy at least ten of each to have on hand, and standard sizes are available which I feel would work in each case. I plan on having this bike for a while!

Another question related to finding an equivalent "standard" size: from the pictures provided by Chuck it looks like all the o-rings are "static" rather than "dynamic" in that they are not required to provide a sliding seal . . . is this correct?
Billy, those are standard metric O-rings.

One of the pieces of equipment that I work on over here is a HEMTT (mil-speak for a BFT - Big Freakin' Truck) with a metric HIAB crane. "Standard" O-rings will not work on the crane. They are either a tiny bit too big or a tiny bit too small.

The Honda rear wheel is not a critical app because you are not trying to seal oil under pressure.

Google "metric O-rings" and you will find plenty of places to order O-rings at industrial, meaning "generic", prices. It's like ordering bearings from a bearing supply place instead of a dealer.
One site I looked at had the 61 mm O-ring for 50 cents. I have no idea what kind of minimum quantities you would need to order.

Last edited:

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Top Bottom