[How To] Installing Honda Wind Deflectors Set 08P70-MEW-100

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The instructions Honda provides are pretty good but I found a couple of tricks to make it easier.

This is what the Wind Deflector kit contained:

Here is how I installed them:

1. Remove the mirrors. Note: You will need a Torx T-40 to remove the screws holding on the mirrors.

2. Test fit the part and see how it fits on the bottom half against the fairing.

3. Clean the areas where the 3M Tape will be sticking to the fairing.

4. Remove the red tape backing on the bottom half of the unit and install it lightly. It is designed to fit snugly and is fairly easy to align. Don't press it down hard yet, just use enough pressure to get it to stay in place.

5. Test fit the top and see how it fits on the fairing and most importantly how it aligns with the screw holes.

6. Once it aligns remove the red tape backing from the top half of the unit. Install it making sure it aligns with the screw holes as well as aligning on the fairing. Once again don't press it down hard yet, just enough pressure to hold it in alignment.

It should look like this:

7. Next insert the supplied spacers in the "pocket" in the Wind Deflector above the mirror mounting screws.

8. Install the mirror using the supplied 6MM Hex screws. Don't tighten them yet, just get everything lined up.

9. Now if all the parts are in alignment press down the tape firmly on the top and bottom halves and tighten your mirrors down.

Finished!

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I used Wayne's pictures and instructions when I put mine on about a month ago. I ride year around. They work very well with heated grips to keep my hands comfortable. Yes, pricey, bot functional and wrath. I love the way they frame the turn signal lights at night.

CoolNT

Spraying some WD40 and letting it sit for a bit would have done it. If that wouldn't have, then a bit of light couple taps and turn.

fastwally

One thing I did to help locate were the top of the wing goes is to put one of the spacers on a screw and screw it in to the mirror mount. It give you a way to locate where the top of the wing goes before the tape touches.

Bike
2014 Black Yamaha Bolt
Okay Wayne I followed directions and the install was easy. Not waiting 24 hours like they say to take a ride though, only about 18 hours. Hope they don't fall off. They do look cool.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My right wind deflector came untaped when my bike blew off its sidestand last fall. I didn't want it flopping around so I stopped at the first parts store I saw and bought a roll of the Scotch trim tape (identical to what came with the deflectors), taped 'em on on a coolish (mid-40s) day, and rode away immediately. They're still sitting there through wind and rain and sub-freezing temperature. They probably haven't been warmer than about 60 since then, so they may fall off on the first hot day. I think 18 hours will work just fine.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I was fortunate, I got my deflectors thru my dealer and paid $135 out the door. Special price for buying the bike from them.

Tiger 650

Accessoriesforbikes.com has OEM for $115.46 plus shipping of I think $12.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Installing Honda Wind Deflectors

Picked up the Air Deflectors from Honda. The installation was fairly straightforward. The temperature in the shop was 60F so I needed to use a hair dryer to warm things up for the tape.

What struck me was how soft the metal was for the two 4mm bolts that hold the mirror to the fairing. You really need to be super-careful not to strip them out. Honda calls for a torque spec of 10 Newton Meters. I can assure you, that Honda never adhered to that. Those bolts were torqued in by a Sumo Wrestler--but since the bike was made in Spain--maybe a musclebouend Matador.

I got them out without destroying them. The bolts Honda supplied with the kit looked more substantial, so I used them--at least this time. I am partial to bolts made in the USA.

I also ordered four pannier strikers. You would think that they would supply the screws for $27? I'll get some stainless ones from my friend who has a Fastener Supply business---USA and UK only fasteners.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Did you order the pannier strikers just so you wouldn't have to change them over if you changed from your big lids to your little lids?

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Did you order the pannier strikers just so you wouldn't have to change them over if you changed from your big lids to your little lids?
Exactly. Screwing and unscrewing into plastic really weakens the bond. I will probably put the red ones back on for everyday use and use the large black ones for touring.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Phil, Good Luck. Take your time, and remember that several light coats are better than a couple of heavy ones. Allow sufficient time between coats.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Alex, I'm going to try your "drink a beer" method of timing between coats. Don't have any beer in the house, so it may have to be coffee. :)

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
i love the wind deflectors, was one of my earliest farkles. in 35-40 degree weather on the highway i still use my summer mesh gloves. so long as the air temp isn't too cold for my hands, it is fine on the bike as the deflectors do such a good job. have some ski gloves in the topcase, but haven't felt the need to use them yet.

and yes, for what they are, they're ridiculously overpriced, i agree. same with the tank pad. but yet we all bought 'em, didn't we!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
i love the wind deflectors, was one of my earliest farkles. in 35-40 degree weather on the highway i still use my summer mesh gloves. so long as the air temp isn't too cold for my hands, it is fine on the bike as the deflectors do such a good job. have some ski gloves in the topcase, but haven't felt the need to use them yet.

and yes, for what they are, they're ridiculously overpriced, i agree. same with the tank pad. but yet we all bought 'em, didn't we!
I did buy the wind deflectors but not the tank pad. I am thinking about getting some of that clear plastic film for the tank.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Well I'm impressed by all of your reports and comments so I'm thinking these will be on my short list of farkles. From the sound of it I get the impression I can get by without adding heated grips? To date I've installed 4 sets of Hot Grips and figured I'd have to follow suit with the NT but maybe not and that would be a substantial savings.
Yaaay! :run1:

Thanks guys,

LL75 :D

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Well I'm impressed by all of your reports and comments so I'm thinking these will be on my short list of farkles. From the sound of it I get the impression I can get by without adding heated grips? To date I've installed 4 sets of Hot Grips and figured I'd have to follow suit with the NT but maybe not and that would be a substantial savings.
Yaaay! :run1:

Thanks guys,

LL75 :D
I live in Nashville and I have the heated grips, wind deflectors and winter gloves and my hands still get cold at times.

Top Bottom