[How To] Installing Honda Wind Deflectors Set 08P70-MEW-100

theo

Hi, I have ordered a set from Motosport over there in the States and they were extremely expensive, i have not received it yet but its very good to hear such positive feedback. I have been riding a BMW R1150Rt for the last 10years which had extremely good weather protection , so my goal is to get my NT to the same comfort levels.... :eek:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Theo, the OEM undercowl (which I bought from David Silver Spares) also helps increase the level of weather protection.

Tourguy

Got mine from local Honda dealer and they went on easy last week with the good suggestions found here [especially the idea of putting the mirror screws on with just the supplied posts]. BUT the new longer screws are allen head and one of them would not even take the 10 nm torque specified before starting to "ream out" where the tool is inserted into the head. I think the larger torx head was much preferable and the screws need to be a harder steel. I've also had trouble with soft screws when taking off the intake funnels so started putting anti-seize lube on threads of things. I had quite a time getting those funnel screws out once . . . lucky for me i did not mess up the threads where they fit into the intake.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
FYI for those interested: I just bought a set of OEM deflectors from Amazon Prime for $120 with free shipping
It was the last set but the site says they are getting more

Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
Ordered a set of these deflectors from local Honda dealer. They were price competive with online sellers. I picked them up yesterday. Temps this weekend are predicted to be in the mid 90's with very high humidity. Not sure I want to venture out to the garage even for the 20 or 30 minutes it would take to install them.
Will post again when I do install them.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I think they make the bike look more complete, don't you?

Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
I think they make the bike look more complete, don't you?
Yes, the bike does look more "complete" with the air deflectors on. Honda should have made them standard equipment.
Rode the bike today for first time since installation. In warm weather, I don't really feel much difference.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
Mine is yet unfarkled and it looks perfectly complete in showroom condition. ;)

EDIT:
Actually, I should put it this way:

If Honda had never made the wind deflectors accessories, no one would have said that the bike looked unfinished.

Personally, I think they look like obvious add-ons. Tacky, obvious add-ons. I'd only add them if the wind protection was a benefit functionally. Otherwise, the bike looks cleaner without them.

Last edited:
Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
One of the reasons bike companies are successful is offering "farkles", so that we may all have the same bike, yet different than others. What one person likes, someone else may not like.
I like the color red over all others, yet you may like black over all others. It would be a very boring world if we all had/liked the same things.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
When riding its hard to notice what they do. I have been able to see the results however. I also have had guards installed on my NT for winter riding which I leave on in the summer as well. From a frontal view you can see the hand guards sticking out in the air stream. When I do my long weekend rides, after I return the front of my NT is covered with bug splatter. The hand guards however might only have one or two on them. I believe the wind deflectors are directing the airflow out around the hand guards which makes me wonder if I even need them. I also notice in the rain I will often get to work and notice my gloves are still quite dry while my riding suit is pretty wet. Not a scientific study, just my observation.

Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
I will probably appreciate them more when I make my annual late February ride from Michigan to Florida. I will also install heated grips before then. I do have heated gloves and a heated jacket liner. Past experience has taught me that the heated grips are VERY important when the temps are in the teens or 20's for extended periods of time.

Golfnutk2

Thank you, RedLdr1 for posting the wind deflector installation guide. Installation went flawlessly. I might be able to wait two hours before taking flight.
Have a great holiday weekend.

Golfnut

These deflectors look really good...with my heated gloves and the larger windscreen should make for good cool weather riding which is what I intend with this bike

Maybe someone could post up a couple of good sized pics from different angles of a red NT with them. thanks. more interested in the look from a distance than detail.

Like so with the deflectors installed.

Also - how difficult or easy to install the lower cowling?

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
MacDoc, the OEM undercowl isn't really too hard to install. The instructions suck and the radiator hoses touch the support bar, but that's not an issue. The most anxiety producing part for me was drilling the hole in the lower cowling.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I also avoided drilling a hole by using velcro (after reading about that option on this forum) and it has not been a problem for me either

Seagrass

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Well, as far as I can remember, I didn't have the wisdom and experience of the Forum when I installed my undercowl. Best I can remember, I was the first person to put the stock undercowl on. And I'm not bright enough to think of Velcro as an alternative to a hole and the Honda rubber expander.

I have no regrets about drilling the hole. I don't think I'll ever take off the undercowl. On the off chance that I buy a replacement NT, I'll spring for the a new undercowl from David Silver Spares.

Top Bottom