Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing Honda Wind Deflectors Set 08P70-MEW-100

My Gallery

Installing Honda Wind Deflectors Set 08P70-MEW-100

The instructions Honda provides are pretty good but I found a couple of tricks to make it easier.

This is what the Wind Deflector kit contained:

Here is how I installed them:

1. Remove the mirrors. Note: You will need a Torx T-40 to remove the screws holding on the mirrors.

2. Test fit the part and see how it fits on the bottom half against the fairing.

3. Clean the areas where the 3M Tape will be sticking to the fairing.

4. Remove the red tape backing on the bottom half of the unit and install it lightly. It is designed to fit snugly and is fairly easy to align. Don't press it down hard yet, just use enough pressure to get it to stay in place.

5. Test fit the top and see how it fits on the fairing and most importantly how it aligns with the screw holes.

6. Once it aligns remove the red tape backing from the top half of the unit. Install it making sure it aligns with the screw holes as well as aligning on the fairing. Once again don't press it down hard yet, just enough pressure to hold it in alignment.

It should look like this:

7. Next insert the supplied spacers in the "pocket" in the Wind Deflector above the mirror mounting screws.

8. Install the mirror using the supplied 6MM Hex screws. Don't tighten them yet, just get everything lined up.

9. Now if all the parts are in alignment press down the tape firmly on the top and bottom halves and tighten your mirrors down.

Finished!
    Wayne
    1987 Yamaha FJ1200
    AMA Life Member

Seabrook, Texas, between Houston and Galveston.
    My Gallery
    Thanks to these instructions I was able to do my install on Saturday, very easy. I had to use th T-30 and my new nolts were 4 mm hex. The difference with the Torx size could have had something to do with my tring first with an alternate method, bad idea. the replacement bolts were 4 mm for sure, it could be they have changed a bit as I just got munie a couple of weeks ago.
    I rode to work this morning, temp around 38 F, ther was a difference. I had to move my hand off the bar to the side to feel the wind flow. They work, but better yet, I think they look good.

My Gallery
    Wayne,
    Thanks for reposting the instructions. I am still considering adding the wind deflectors.
    Paul

Seabrook, Texas, between Houston and Galveston.
    My Gallery
    Paul, They are a bit overpriced for what they are, but they do work. I'm glad I went ahead and got them.
    Eric
    2010 NT700V abs
    2008 Sv 650N

My Gallery
    I used Wayne's pictures and instructions when I put mine on about a month ago. I ride year around. They work very well with heated grips to keep my hands comfortable. Yes, pricey, bot functional and wrath. I love the way they frame the turn signal lights at night.
    Herb
    Huntington, NY

My Gallery
    Spraying some WD40 and letting it sit for a bit would have done it. If that wouldn't have, then a bit of light couple taps and turn.
    Ron
    Motorcycle enthusiast

One thing I did to help locate were the top of the wing goes is to put one of the spacers on a screw and screw it in to the mirror mount. It give you a way to locate where the top of the wing goes before the tape touches.
    Walt

It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow.

My Gallery
    Okay Wayne I followed directions and the install was easy. Not waiting 24 hours like they say to take a ride though, only about 18 hours. Hope they don't fall off. They do look cool.
    Dan
    Black 2014 Yamaha Bolt 950 "Raven"
    "keep the rubber side down, you'll live to smell the roses"

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery
    My right wind deflector came untaped when my bike blew off its sidestand last fall. I didn't want it flopping around so I stopped at the first parts store I saw and bought a roll of the Scotch trim tape (identical to what came with the deflectors), taped 'em on on a coolish (mid-40s) day, and rode away immediately. They're still sitting there through wind and rain and sub-freezing temperature. They probably haven't been warmer than about 60 since then, so they may fall off on the first hot day. I think 18 hours will work just fine.
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 125,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

(Threadstarter)
    My Gallery
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Tarman View Post
    I think 18 hours will work just fine.
    So would eighteen minutes probably.... The body side moldings I added to my car use the same tape and I drove off as soon as they were installed.... A year later they are still there...

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast