[How To] Installing Honda Wind Deflectors Set 08P70-MEW-100

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
With the deflectors your hands are almost in a complete wind void so I would consider the temps you will ride in and whether you would have gloves on if you were just walking around.

Really comes down to your body and your own tolerances for colder temps.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Hi everyone,

As I mentioned in an earlier post Santa promised to bring me a set of wind deflectors and true to "his" word he came through. Or was it Mrs Claus? Anyway they're on, they've been thoroughly tested and as so many others have stated they're worth every cent.

Yesterday was the first time out with them, the temp was sitting at 37 F, clear skies with sunshine expected. I met up with my riding buddy and we rode 80 miles north to Florence where we would celebrate New Years Day with other riders at Moe's restaurant. The group we met with are all Iron Butt members (except for me, mine's more like SpongeBob's) and we spent a couple of hours socializing, talking rides, bikes, etc. This is one of the friendliest groups of riders I've ever been around, no big egos to deal with, just a common interest in riding. A lot of FJR's were in attendance plus a couple of Gold Wings; the NT drew lots of attention as few riders had ever seen one. Overall it made a good impression with typical comments being "Why hasn't that model ever caught on here in the states?" No answer for that one, I'm just happy to own one.

Afterwards when we headed home the sun warmed up the twisty passes, chasing the frosty bits away and we were able to enjoy the crisp freshness of the first day of the New Year. Several of the people who've installed the wind deflectors had mentioned how warm their hands stayed and I'm now a member of that club. As cold as it was in the morning my hands stayed comfortable without the slightest hint of frosty fingers.

To help ward off the cold I wore a pair of Lee Parks DeerSports PCI gloves, my favorite cold weather gloves. I've owned them for several years and worn them all over including two rides to Alaska and they've never let me down. I wish they were more water proof but they're not so I keep a pair of 3-fingered rain mitts from Aerostich tucked away just in case. I also wore one of Knox's Cold Killer hoods under my helmet which prevented even the slightest wind from sneaking into my jacket. Finally I had on one of Aerostich's electric vests ensuring my old torso would think it was in Miami for the winter.

It was a great getaway if only for a few hours and slightly less than 200 miles but I'm truly pleased with the way the wind deflectors worked; I'm probably not going to install Hot Grips after all.

LL75 :smile:

Attachments

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Good instructions, Wayne. I do disagree that the Honda instructions are pretty good. They stink....
I like yours better.
Step 5. Remove the adhesive backing while pressing on the right air deflector firmly with the Palm???????
I sure would like to see a youtube of that! :rofl1: They only show two pieces of tape a side when there are in reality many more....

I dont understand step 3. Attach the proteciton tape to the mirrors in the position shown. I assume they meant to show a doted line meaning the underside of the mirror but I dont really understand what that little piece of clear tape does.....???? Maybe it will be obvious when I take off the mirrors....its 55 today in the heat of the day so I am going to wait till it warms up before installing these.....
Snow warning in the Cascades today....

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks, Wayne! Great instructions....put mine on today....after seeing how they fit with the tape on, I just took all the tape off, pressed lightly on the bottom part, lined up the mirror holes, and pressed lightly on the top. Piece of cake. Oddly, the left Mirror bolts were installed with much more torque than the right one, although I could still break them loose with just a magnetic screw stick with a Torx 30.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Chris, I put on the clear tape per the instructions. The only purpose I can see for it is to protect the mirror finish in case the wind screen were to flex when riding and rub on it.

Last edited:
Bike
Silver NT700V
That "protection" tape is a mystery. I put it on but still have npo idea what it is supposed to accomplish.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris, I put on the clear tape per the instructions. The only purpose I can see for it is to protect the mirror finish in case the wind screen were to flex when riding and rub on it.
OK, so you put the clear tape on the outside?????? Well, I can do that I guess.....

Bike
2011 Black NT700 ABS
Do you know guys if they still work with raisers installed? I've installed the ones from Larry (I think it was 1 inch or so)

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Do you know guys if they still work with raisers installed? I've installed the ones from Larry (I think it was 1 inch or so)
Mine work with the MCL risers. I suppose it might be possible to rotate the bars high enough that they wouldn't work quite as well, but I doubt anyone would do that.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have been meaning to order mine for about a year now. Finally got around to it. I rode the NT quite a bit Saturday and it was quite chilly in the morning. The weather has been so chilly lately that I have been riding the NT much more than the DR650.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Ha, I just installed mine yesterday. Took it for a ride today, they sure seem to work. Wayne, I used your instructions, and they worked very well. Thanks!

gbtechelec

Hello from Greece .I have a Deauville 650 and i would like to find wind deflectors for my bike .
If someone knows where to buy them , please tell me.
Thank you and be carefull on the road !!!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'd guess that you could buy wind deflectors for the Deauville 650 from Honda of Bournemouth in the UK. IF Honda made wind deflectors for the 650. All of us here hve either the 2010 or 2011 Deauville 700 (rebadged as an NT700V).

Good luck!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Husker, they do a great job. Even with my lightweight gloves, behind the wind deflectors, with my heated handgrips on, I was comfortable into the mid-30s coming home from Greeley Thursday evening.

Last edited:
Bike
11VStrom650 & 16Tiger800
I will soon be ordering the helibars for my 2011 NT and want to know if anyone knows whether this will affect/effect (never knew which one is which) the usability of the wind deflectors. In other words would it be a waste to put the wind deflectors on if the Helibars puts the grips out of protective area created by the wind deflectors?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Wanda, the word you want is affect. My judgement is that the wind deflectors will still work just fine. I added mine after riding with and without the MCL risers and they work just fine with the risers. If you raised your bars a couple of inches, they might not work quite as well.

Top Bottom