[How To] Installing Honda Wind Deflectors Set 08P70-MEW-100

mprsns

I've had the Helibars riser installed for a couple of weeks. The handlebars are now higher than the wind deflectors, but the deflectors still work fine. I was curious, so I experimented one day on the highway. The air stream has a very distinct boarder at highway speeds. When I release the handlebar, I have to raise my hand two or three inches before my hand is in the air stream. This was confirmed today as I was riding in the rain and noticed that my gloves still weren't getting very wet. I really like the Helibars riser. The upright riding position is just the ticket for me. Extremely comfortable, relaxed riding position. Wonderful product.

b/r, Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Mike, I think I'd like the Heli-Bars too, but I don't really have any comfort issues with just the MCL risers, so I'm finally going to draw a line in the sand and say, "That's one farkle I'm not going to get." :)

Bike
11VStrom650 & 16Tiger800
Now I'm definitely getting the Helibars. Love my NT but riding 75-100 miles makes my back sore. I have ROX risers on my 650 Vstrom which allows me to sit more straight up. The ROX are perfect for the Vstrom but wouldn't work for the NT.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Like Phil, I installed the MCL 1" risers. They eased my lower back tension considerably. I also went throught two seats lowered 1" for a total shift of 2". Last week I received and installed a Russell seat which I road for over 1,000 miles between thursday and Monday. The Russell is slightly higher than stock but they said it shuld settle in at around stock height. The Russell negated some of the lean angle improvement but the feeling was much better as the seat broke in. I expect further improvement. Twisted Throttle has a riser called Bar Back that will raise the bars 1" and move the back 1", total displacement 1.25" diagonal. That change should work without repalcing cables but if you need to, the Transalp clutch cable fits and is 2" longer than the NT one. It runs $24 at the Honda shop. Take some pictures of you on the bike in riding position. You may be surprised at how upright you actually are and can see the impact (effect) of various changes.

Of course,

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I don't really have any comfort issues with just the MCL risers
I'm curious: Among those of you who have installed MCL risers AND Hondaline wind deflectors, has anyone felt a loss of benefit from the deflectors once the risers were installed?

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I'm curious: Among those of you who have installed MCL risers AND Hondaline wind deflectors, has anyone felt a loss of benefit from the deflectors once the risers were installed?
I did not notice any change in the effectiveness of the Wind Deflectors when used with MCL's risers....

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
So Wayne, after raising your hands about 1" they were still in the void created by the deflectors?
Yes, the Wind Deflectors did a good enough job I had to move my hands several inches to get any air flow on my mesh summer gloves...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
By the time I got the wind deflectors, I had already installed the MCL risers, but the wind deflectors deflect pretty good for me. I don't know if they would have done more without the risers or not.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I ordered a pair of Smartwool glove liners for a tenth of what the wind deflectors cost.
I'm with Lori on the cost thing
plus
I would like the protection in the winter, but I dont want to give up that air come summer. And I'm pretty sure those things dont come on and off
Im going to just get me some good gloves and a riding suit.
MC superstore has a First Gear suit for $170 that has gotten rave reviews. No armor though

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
they're one of the better farkles for the NT in my opinion, but yes, the price is outrageous for what they are. you could always look into a set of barkbusters for hand/wind protection. those would be removable. although the cost might get similar, i'm not sure.

some windproof gloves would certainly be the cheaper option. especially if they aren't "motorcycle" gear.

dlb

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Just finished installing the wind deflectors, fairly straight forward operation. I noticed varying amounts of thread lock on the existing bolts - could be the cause of the problems some of the others had in removing the mirrors, don't need a lot of torque if you gum'um up enough.... have to see if my cold weather riding gets better!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
One of the things about the mirror bolts is that they aren't Allen-head; they're Torx (T-5, IIRC).

slider

I took the mirrors off and wiped everything down. The mirror bolts came right off with a torx and adjustable wrench to turn it. I had to heat it all up with a hair dryer because it was about 45 in the garage. I ripped all the tape off and pushed them on. Then I put the mirrors on. Took 20 minutes. The new bolts were different size torx than the original but I had a set and it was obvious which two. I get the palm trick. that was for seating the bottom one. Worked like a charm. After 20 minutes I blasted up the bypass in 12 degree weather. They appear to be on for the long haul.

Bike
2011 Black nt700va
Hi all, I just received my wind guards today and found one of the metal spacers thinner than the other three, is this going to cause a problem or should I search for a small spacer or one to match the other 3? genuine Honda kit from Twigg cycles. Thank you. Kevin

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Kevin, I think I'd look for a spacer of the same length if it were me.

Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
I just ordered my wind deflectors this evening, got them on sale for $125 (free shipping) from Hutchins Motorsports (shophms.com), also ordered the pannier liners direct from Bestem on sale (free shipping)...the Cee Bailey windshield is next. :)

Bike
2011 Black nt700va
Phil, I'm going to take that advice and hardware store shop for the correct bushing. Thanks, Kevin.

Top Bottom