Thruxton

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I had to give my brother a ride home from the shop today. We did some window shopping
I sat on a new F800GT. It was really cool but maybe a little more Sport than Touring. The seating pos is a tad too aggressive for me, but its still way cool
Another really cool bike was the Triumph Thruxton
My brother has been wanting to do a cafe bike, but this one looks readymade. I really liked it
We also spent a good deal of time stewing over a Panigale
He wants to trade his ST4S and my old CBR250R and get the Panigale, but he doesnt ride enough. It would be like buying a Ferrari and just keeping it in the garage
I think the Triumph would be a better buy
They had a couple of Urals with hacks and an old Triumph with one too.
I couldnt tll if the Urals were old or new. They all look old to me!

Bike
Bonneville T120
18 months ago I rode a used Thruxton, probably an '09. I was absolutely blown away, but I could see the "sport" seating position wasn't going go agree with my 60+ year old body on a ride longer than about 20 minutes. That's when I started to fixate on Bonnevilles. So 9 months ago I got my Bonnie.

Is the Bonneville a perfect bike? No but it's damn close. Of course it isn't intended for touring.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I agree with Bob and Dan. True, Cafes have the "Oh Wowie" factor and are meant to ride short distances fast----just like Sportbikes (Which I consider modern Cafe Racers without the retro look) Had I a choice between a Thruxton and a Bonnie, the Bonnie would be my choice. It could be Cafe'd out quite nicely should one want that look.

As for the Duc. One of the people I ride with has a 999 Ducati. Like the Panigale this is a full blown racing machine that has been made street legal with the addition of lights, etc. It is like driving a Formula 1 car on the street. My friend can do track days on his but only lasts about 45 minutes riding on the street. He is a collector and has several high end bikes. His favorite sport bike for the street is his mint condition yellow VFR. For the track, he has a very tricked out Ninja 250R. His everyday bike is a 650 V-Strom. I have ridden his Duc for a short distance and quite honestly, it scared me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
The problem with my brother is that, by his own admission, he gets "the wants" and drools over this and that. He wont buy the Duc...he already has one.
He is getting older and I think he needs to buy some kind of standard bike or mild sport tourer or even a cruiser.
He's just been riding sportbikes for so long, he is resisting

Top Bottom