Honda OEM Heated Grips

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Next week a friend is riding Merlot to the dealer to have the rear end rebuilt. It leaks. I had thought that this might be a good time to install heated grips. Anny comments ? Overpriced ? Better ones available as aftermarket ? Thanks for any input.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
My wife really likes them. I built a custom harness for them when I did the install. I didn't like their use of the bullet plugs (I wanted a more slim install) and with the Helibars installed the OEM harness was not nearly long enough. They provide good heat and as an added bonus the controller operates as a very simple voltage meter (blinks when voltage is low).

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I agree with Rob. They're good heated grips and I like the voltage indicator function. Mine were installe using the factory wiring harness and have been faultless. I've been surprised at how often I use them when the temperatures are in the low 50s.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Alex,

The OEM Heated Grips are very good... One tip when installing them...remove the in line fuse holder in the OEM accessory harness! Honda has an in line fuse holder in the accessory harness with a 3 Amp Littelfuse AGU-Type Glass Fuse. The harness then feeds directly in to the the 10 Amp Accessory Fuse located in Fuse Box A, in position Five. The reason for the in line 3 Amp is in Europe they get other accessories, like the GPS, that also feed off the 10 Amp Accessory Fuse. Since we don't get the other toys just replace the existing 10 Amp fuse with a 3 Amp Fuse and you are good to go... If you don't remove the in line fuse, and it blows, you won't have a spare, unless you remember from this post, :D and you will get to disassemble the tupperware to get to it...don't ask me how I know...:rolleyes1:

jackgermain

Have you tried the Gerbing heated gloves ? I use them when it gets cool/cold and really like them a lot. I have had bikes with heated grips and they just were not my cup of tea. If you like them go for it - you can always add the gloves later and be really toasty going down the road.

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Thanks a milliom, all of you, for the input. Since Merlot goes in on Friday the 29th and they will have the bike for about a week rebuilding the rear end (I am insisting on a total rebuild because of the Spearfish trip) So why not install the grips on my nickel since the rear end is a warranty job. It provides the dealer with an incentive. I still don't have the strength in my right leg to hold the bike up. Getting stronger with lots of painful PT. Seems so slow since I have been laid up since Christmas. Patience is not one of my strong suits.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I got the Oxford ones, cause they were only $70. 5 heat levels. Connected into the accessory harness.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Hi alex,

I am glad you are healing and making progress.

I have OEM heate grips from day one, same as on my EX Wing, they never gave one bit of trouble in the 7 1/2 years I had them and were still working fine after the 105,000 miles. This prompted me to go for the OEM for the NT. by simply rerouting the wire harness when the Heli bars were installed The didn't have to do any splicing to anything on my bike. I use the heat even in warm weather if my hands start cramping. I don'tleave home with out them on the NT. I don't have them on the VLX nor on the Hd, but I do have geerbin/ HD logoed electric gloves as a back up, and last week I did use both the electric gloves as well as the heated grips and heated jacket liner and pants liner.

I didn't like their use of the bullet plugs (I wanted a more slim install) and with the Helibars installed the OEM harness was not nearly long enough.
I just installed the Hondaline grips, and I would use another option if I had it to do over again. Its ridiculous that Honda makes you buy three separate, overpriced, parts/kits to complete the job. Still, I decided to try Honda for a cleaner installation. But as Rmcapozzi pointed out, you end up with a mass of bullet connectors right at the base of the handlebar. I wrapped mine in electrical tape just to finish the job, and it doesn't look too bad, but I could have saved money and probably done a cleaner connection using after market grips.

I had a minor wiring problem with the install. At first I got no action from the controller, and spent some time checking for power with a test light. Then, I reversed two bullet connectors for the controller, and that solved the problem. I don't think the instructions were clear on which color wires needed to be connected. Apparently no harm done.

Also, personally I don't like the controller on the right side. You either have to take your hand off the throttle, or cross your left hand over to change the setting. (Edit: You can mount the controller on the left side. You just need to reverse the mounting plate on the back of the controller.)

That said, they do work well and apparently they last, based on comments in this forum.

Last edited:
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
My son installed heated grips on both his KLR and Yamaha Super Tenere, he found it pretty easy. I have heated grips on my 84 BMW and NT. I use them in rain mostly, but some cold days. It does make your rides better on a cold wet day.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
There were quite a few wires with those grips. It took me a bit to figure out what went where. I labeled everything before I started cutting.

I have an electrical diagram I use to document my mods. I try and keep the colors between the diagram and the actual wires I use in-sync.

I then soldered everything together.

I used plastic tube sheathing to run my wires. This provides protection for the wires AND makes for an OEM look. With the bullet plugs, the harness was too bulky for the sheathing.

I put a 2 pin plug on the end and the custom harness was complete.

I also opted for a blade style inline fuse for the heated grips. I like to have 1 fuse style for everything on the vehicle. Makes carrying spares more simple. I tucked the fuse holder on the left side near all the connectors (relocated a bit for the Helibar install). Access is easy from the mid-cowl.

I just installed the Hondaline grips, and I would use another option if I had it to do over again. Its ridiculous that Honda makes you buy three separate, overpriced, parts/kits to complete the job. Still, I decided to try Honda for a cleaner installation. But as Rmcapozzi pointed out, you end up with a mass of bullet connectors right at the base of the handlebar. I wrapped mine in electrical tape just to finish the job, and it doesn't look too bad, but I could have saved money and probably done a cleaner connection using after market grips.

I had a minor wiring problem with the install. At first I got no action from the controller, and spent some time checking for power with a test light. Then, I reversed two bullet connectors for the controller, and that solved the problem. I don't think the instructions were clear on which color wires needed to be connected. Apparently no harm done.

Also, personally I don't like the controller on the right side. You either have to take your hand off the throttle, or cross your left hand over to change the setting.

That said, they do work well and apparently they last, based on comments in this forum.

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
It was 29?F when I left for work this morning. I never felt the heated grips through my heavy weight gloves. My fingers we pretty cold by the time I got to work. I ordered some electic gloves last night. I think the heated grips are good down to about 40?F and below that you are in a losing proposition.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Heated grips are nice supplemental heat. Kinda like heated seats. They work fine for cool temperatures but as you found out, when it is cold, they just don't get it done. You'll find that the heated grips do help with the heat sink problem in the cold weather though. With heated grips, the cold handle bars don't suck out the heat from your hands as quick.

If you don't have good wind protection for your gloves, even electric gloves have their limit. For me, that was about freezing. As soon as I got my hands out of the wind (handlebar mitts) the difference was significant. I was able to ride to 0F with no cold hands.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I have the Honda heated grips. I like the larger diameter mine are wired directly. The accessory harness is powering a power point in the right pocket. I have used mine more in times that are cool rather than cold with summer gloves staying comfortable on chilly days. They get no use at all for most of the season. They get marked paid with just one damp are we home yet ride. The grips and a heated vest make the bike a lot more enjoyable when the weather changes from hot to cold and back.

Happy with mine

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
It was 29?F when I left for work this morning. I never felt the heated grips through my heavy weight gloves. My fingers we pretty cold by the time I got to work. I ordered some electic gloves last night. I think the heated grips are good down to about 40?F and below that you are in a losing proposition.
You will love the heated gloves! I am on my second season with mine and they make a huge difference. Just yesterday morning, it was 27 degrees when I left for my 25 mile commute and when I arrived at work, my hands were toasty warm.

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Honda has them for about $200. The grips themselves (Heated Grips, PN 08T50-MEW-100, $189.95) and the electrical harness needed to connect them (Heated Grips Attachment, PN 08T49-MEW-100, $109.95).

You find them by looking at this link: http://powersports.honda.com/2011/nt700v/accessories.aspx

They don't show any accessories for the 2010 NT700V, but since the only change was color, that doesn't make any difference.

Phil, I think you also need the accessory wire harness for 14.95 to do the complete job. Insult to injury in my view. And BTW, the Oxford heated grips also have the feature of blinking controller LED to signal low voltage, just like the Honda. And unlike the Honda, the Oxford has up and down buttons, so you don't have to scroll through the entire heat range to make a change. All for about $90 I think, though I would still use the Honda $14.95 wire harness to connect the Oxfords to the bike.

Top Bottom