[Review] Camping Chairs: Pico vs Kermit vs Flex-Lite vs Packseat

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I just received my REI Flex-Lite camping chair and decided to do a review of the FOUR! chairs I now have - can you say obsessive compulsive?

This review will compare the following 4 Chairs:
1 - GCI Outdoor PICO Arm Chair ~ $100
- Capacity: 350 lbs​
- Weight: 10 lbs​
- Packed size: 21.1" x 13" x 4.3"​
2 - Kermit Chair ~ $140
- Capacity: 350 lbs​
- Weight: 5.3 lbs​
- Packed size: 4" x 6" x 22"​
3 - REI Flex-Lite Chair ~ $70
- Capacity: 250 lbs​
- Weight: under 2 lbs​
- Packed size: 4" x 14"​
4 - GCI Outdoor Packseat ~ $20
- Capacity: 250 lbs​
- Weight: under 2 lbs​
- Packed size: 4" x 14"​

Note: The prices above do not include shipping or any discounts or additional options available for these chairs.

Here's a pic of the 4 chairs in order from top-to-bottom - Pico/Kermit/Flex-Lite/Packseat:

Here are all the chairs outside of their bags:

Let's start by talking about pack size. The Pico is the one with the big disadvantage here being the
largest and heaviest of the chairs. Your only real options for packing this chair will be on your
passenger seat or luggage rack.

The Kermit offers some more flexibility here, you can even put it in your saddlebag but it's a tight fit.
Most folks are going to pack this on top of or with their camping gear.

Here is the Flex-Lite chair, as you can see, both it and the packseat offer endless packing options
and both are under 2 lbs so there is not much bulk or weight to deal with with these two chairs.

Here are the chairs setup, 1st the Pico and Kermit. As you can see, the Pico is taller than
the Kermit and so you don't need the leg extensions that many Kermit owners tend to buy to
get that extra height. The Pico is also a wider chair and the legs are such that they are
less likely to sink into soft soil. The other 3 chairs may have a tendency to sink a little if
the ground is less than firm.

Here is the Flex-Lite chair next to the Kermit.

And finally, the Packseat next to the Flex-Lite.

Some more comparing the 1st 3 chairs.

The Flex-Lite is relatively new so here are some pics of that offering. The bottom two pockets are
connected to the bottom poles 1st then the loop is used to pull the top pocket up and connect to
the top poles.

Conlusion

Comfort:

1 - Pico
2 - Kermit
3 - Flex-Lite
4 - Packseat

I don't think this was much of a surprise. The Pico is the tallest and widest option reviewed and for that
reason gets the comfort win. It's also more of an upright chair vs the Kermit which makes you sit back
at more of an angle. This is a personal preference so some may prefer the Kermit's angle and Kermit
also offer a wide-chair version and optional leg extensions.

The Flex-Lite is not as comfortable as the Pico or Kermit mainly because you are sitting in a 'pocket',
similar to a hammock, so it feels a little unstable at first but after sitting in it a while you adjust. It's
just not the stable feeling you get from the 1st two options given the way the frame holds the material.

The Packseat - well, it's more comfortable that you would thing actually but you aren't going to fall
asleep in it. LOL

Ease of Use (setup/break down):
1 - Packseat
2 - Pico
3 - Flex-Lite
4 - Kermit

The Packseat is simply a set of 3 short shock-corded poles so it is the easiest set up and repacking of the
bunch.

The Pico has no 'parts' to it, you simply move it around and lift up then spread the seat and back
and you have an almost full sized chair. It takes a few tries to get used to it but once you do it's
a very fast setup and repacking procedure.

The Flex-Lite is constructed of Cordura fabric, mesh and DAC poles and thick plastic hubs and while the
association to a tent setup may scare some, it's actually a pretty fast setup.

The Kermit, simply due to it's number of loose parts and more involved setup is last in this category. I
will say it's not complicated, it's just a tad slower of a setup due to the parts involved. Also, repacking
is not very fast as the fit in the bag is tight and it sometimes takes a few tries to get it right. Again,
not complicated or a deal-killer, just more involved than the rest in this group.

Winner?:

Well, it's a close race... LOL

Between the Kermit and the Flex-Lite with the Flex-Lite just edging out.

My personal preferences with regards to camping chairs are comfort and pack size. If you throw in cost
then the Flex-Lite wins.

The Kermit is compact enough to be packed with your other typical camping gear however it is
much heavier and expensive than the Flex-Lite.

The Flex-Lite is quite comfortable - more so than the Packseat for obvious reasons and very
close to the Kermit and Pico.

I think if you did not already have any chair the Flex-Lite would be a nice option. Light, easy to pack,
easy to setup and comfortable. If you have a Kermit then you probably love it and won't like the
Flex-Lite.

That's all I got... obviously, this is all just MY opinions and MY observations. I hope this information
is helpful in case you're looking for a chair and these are some you're considering.

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Thanks, great info.

Now just bring them all to Spearfish and those assembled there will be able to help you evaluate the durability. Or stated differently, we can break anything.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Thanks, great info.

Now just bring them all to Spearfish and those assembled there will be able to help you evaluate the durability. Or stated differently, we can break anything.
Lol, NO!....

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I got the REI Camp-X Low
I got it because it is low enough to use inside my tent, and it opens right up ready to use
Packs about 30"x9", so it takes some room on the bike
It does fit inside my dry duffel though

PS
I really enjoy Mellow's reviews

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Good review, Joe! Since I can't sit as low as some people can after all my knee replacements, the Kermit with the leg extensions is my pick. It's not, as you say, particularly light and having two bags, doesn't help any either. The leg extensions go into a bag that's about 8-9" long and slightly smaller in diameter than the chair itself.

But with leg extensions, the bottom of the chair is not raked back quite so much and it's 17" off the ground. I couldn't sit in it inside the Halfdome 2+, but it works great inside the Halfdome 4 tent.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I also bought the Big Agnes Helinox and got it from LL Bean. It looks a lot like the Flex-lite and nearly identical in construction but is rated at "300 lbs." As Mello said this type of chair does feel a little insecure at first but to me that drawback is outweighed by its tiny packed size - only 14" long. The Kermit Chairs has been considered the Rolls-Royce
of camp chairs used by motorcyclists for decades but its packed size (22" long) is too much, at least in my mind.

rcase13

I have been enjoying my Flex-Lite for awhile now. I leave it permanently in the NT. It fits perfectly in the pass through.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
There is no chair on my bike - yet. I travel pretty light and haven't committed to getting a camp chair - yet. But as I get older the ground keeps getting farther down and comfort becomes more important. This thread may be timely for me. Thanks, Joe, for getting the good information out.

I'm leaning toward the Kermit chair mostly because of the construction. Should something break I could probably fix any of the wood or metal brackets that keep the chair upright. I have had a few disappointments with the "plastic and pole" construction of some folding chairs I've seen. It is pretty hard to visually evaluate the quality differences between the cheap WallyWorld chairs and some of the others. I just don't trust them any more.

Excellent review. I need another chair anyway, was considering the Kermit but I need to get my hands on the Flex-Lite before I make the final decision. Thanks Joe.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
hanks for the comparison.

Icarry both the Pico and the tripod. My version of the pico was at Sportsmans Warehouse and it was $60. I use the tripod inside the tent for getting dressed and putting boots on. If raining will put the pico inside so I can sit and read. The tripod also makes for a good footstool when sitting on the pico.

Bike
Honda NT700V
I've said it before and I'll say it again; it's cheaper to get off the money for a Kermit than it is to buy all the other chairs first cuz sooner or later, you'll wind up with a Kermit.:couch1:

Excellent review, Joe.

Last edited:

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
That's a great comparison Joe - will really help those who do not have one yet and are faced with all the options!
I do love my Kermit - I gotta admit I'm a fan that they're handmade here in the states and are made of wood. They just "look" nice and the quality is apparent. Good point about the leg extensions though - adding those brings the price up near $200 which is a LOT for a packable chair. I'm 6'2" and manage without them but will probably end up getting them eventually.

That being said, great job showing the pros/cons of each in the different areas!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I don't think I'll ever get a kermit. I don't like camp chairs with legs that will sink in the ground.

Does Kermit make 'rockers' for the legs. That would make a difference.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Charlie, the Kermit with leg extensions hasn't sunk into the ground with my dainty 250 pounds in it yet. I'm guessing that without the leg extensions it would sink into most ground. But since I couldn't get up out of a Kermit if it didn't have the leg extensions, it all works out just right for me.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Most of the places I've camped have had very firm ground even when it's been raining. None of the chairs I've ever had have had issues - EXCEPT the packseat in this review... it actually did sink in and I think that's because you are right on top of and over the points where your weight is distributed.. The ground is just never THAT soft most places I've been... if it is, I'm probably not going to use a chair anyway as it would be muddy, I'd probably sit at the picnic table.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Make your own rockers. I made my own Kermit, with improvements..
That's probably the way I would go. Could use the fabric parts from the pico, or, re-engineer the pico so the frame breaks down.

I don't use these things enough to spend that much money on a chair. Heck, in most campsites I don't even unfold mine cause there is a picnic table to sit at.

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
Joe, you should sell these reviews to a magazine or something. Excellent job! You could set up a little side business reviewing camping gear, and everybody would send you free stuff to evaluate.

I haven't done any moto-camping (yet), but if/when I do, I will definitely be looking up your posts on the subject.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Most of the places I've camped have had very firm ground even when it's been raining. None of the chairs I've ever had have had issues - EXCEPT the packseat in this review... it actually did sink in and I think that's because you are right on top of and over the points where your weight is distributed.. The ground is just never THAT soft most places I've been... if it is, I'm probably not going to use a chair anyway as it would be muddy, I'd probably sit at the picnic table.
I guess I am not lucky that way. I end up in nice grass or sand camping areas and most chairs I have had will sink an inch or more. Even the ones with round pads for feet can be a problem. I am not a lightweight, at 205lb, but, the Pico type does fine for me and packs conveniently as well. Nice enough that I use it for all of my folding chair duties, not just when camping. The only folding chair I like better is one of those recliner types :)

Top Bottom