[Review] Camping Chairs: Pico vs Kermit vs Flex-Lite vs Packseat

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Well, I have to admit that I did buy a Flex-lite chair a few weeks ago.

Was getting ready for this trip and wanted everything packed in a case, so the Pico was not going to to.

The little chair worked great. I use it as my "inside" chair, inside the tent that is. I can sit in it to read or use the tablet or to help in getting dressed or someplace to sit while packing. Meanwhile it packs up to a small size that will fit just about anywhere. Very comfortable.

I will still carry the Pico when I need an "outside" chair as it is more comfortable, especially when I have my 'footstool' with it. Has little pockets for drinks and phone or other little essentials (cigars and lighter for one :) ).

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
I've had the Flex Lite since Spearfish last summer. Very satisfied with the light weight and minimum pack size, although the seat height is LOW. Seems sturdy so far. Fits inside the tent easily for dressing, reading, etc. Thumbs up from me.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
We bought a pair of the Helinox chairs while at the Horizons Unlimited rally in Cambria last year. Same company makes the hardware for the REI chair, however, they are no longer going to be making it for them. So, if you have one, and you break a leg, no more replacement parts. I've been itching for a Kermit chair, but right now I just can't justify the $$.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I concur, Joe has done a excellent job with his review! I have the cheap and light 3 legged stool type for bike travel, BUT I am a Kermit fan, I just discussed it with my money manager and she has told me to go ahead and get it so I will probably be ordering it with-in the next hour or two!

Eldon

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
While I have really liked the REI chair we did get into a campground where the ground was too soft for the legs. It was an area with low drainage and a lot of nice soft grass. Great for sleeping, but, the legs of the REI chair sunk a bit. :(

Good part is that was the only campground, out of about ten so far, that this has happened. So, I still will recommend it as a good buy. Relatively inexpensive, packs nice and small and is REALLY comfortable. Bonus is it fits nicely inside the tent. Bother even uses his inside his Marmot 3 person tent.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
LOL, yeah, if you're going to a weekend long event it would be less fuss to buy a cheap chair, then dump it at the end of the weekend.

Bike
2011 Black NT700
Give it to one of the RVers at the campground, or if you are feeling particularly frugal, keep the receipt and take it back after 2-3 days, mumbling something like, "She said she doesn't like these chairs."
Just don't all go back at the same time.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I like my Travel Chair Duck. It actually takes down to less than the dimensions given for some reason and I have spend many nights and days sitting in it at camp paddling around the Minn. Boundry Waters Canoe area, where picnick tables are verboten.
It is somewhat heavy but very sturdy. It wont sink in anywhere and it will hold 300 lbs. The rally is an excellent place to try chairs, BTW. The REI chair just doesn't fit me, I found out. And yes, I have been known to buy Children's chairs at the Wally world
and give them away when I leave a rally.
http://www.amazon.com/Travelchair-Original-Cotton-Steel-Chair/dp/B002EIZLIM/ref=sr_1_30?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1411440055&sr=1-30&keywords=travelchair

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
While buying a thorw-away chair may sound like a good cheap option but, I've already used my REI chair enough times that I would be throwing away money buying a cheap chair.

Good gear usually costs more because it's worth it in the end and if you don't camp much then this thread probably doesn't mean much to you however, I can see where having a nice compact and easily packable chair along on trips can be beneficial even if you aren't camping.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
You bring up a good point, and one I had not considered before. The REI chairs (and probably Kermits) will easily fit in a side case or trunk. On day trips it is nice sometimes to just sit and have a drink, but, frequently there are no places to sit. I may start leaving the chair in the side case for that reason.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Because of my knees, especially my not-so-flexible right knee, I can't sit as low to the ground as many of the chairs that others like place me. My Kermit chair with extensions works great for me.

Bike
Plus 1 Phil& I also agree with Joe's thought on having one own comfortable chair along!

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
For me, its not about the money, its about the space....and that nice REI chair if it fit me would be great. I camp out 27-30 days a year, but only 16 of those days are on a bike. Nine of those days at Reno someone brings along my two chairs for me...but even though I camp at NF and NP campgrounds with picknic tables, a good small chair would be a plus. I like my duck but it is a bit big and heavy. Maybe I will try some others out at the next Spearfish and find a comfortable small packing one....there is always room for just one more thing!

While buying a thorw-away chair may sound like a good cheap option but, I've already used my REI chair enough times that I would be throwing away money buying a cheap chair.

Good gear usually costs more because it's worth it in the end and if you don't camp much then this thread probably doesn't mean much to you however, I can see where having a nice compact and easily packable chair along on trips can be beneficial even if you aren't camping.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
A few years ago I purchase Blue Max Chairs, they were nice but heavy (I not sure they still are around). I then found carry the heavy chairs, were too much: purchase Helinox chairs, small light, and comfortable. Must rides I have a couple in my bags just in case I want to sit and enjoy the day. Alps Mountaineering Rendezvous Chair looked nice but I not wore out he Helinox, but i think I try these next. Amazon has many camping chairs that might work for motorcycling:
http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Rendezvous-Folding-Chair/dp/B006H1ZDBC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411555898&sr=8-2&keywords=camp+folding+chair[h=1][/h][h=2][/h]

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If I sat down in that, I'd be on the ground for a long, long time. With my knees, the Kermit chair with leg extensions is the only camping chair I've found that I can get out of.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I have tried that type in stadiums and did not like them. Foam not nearly thick enough. But, if you want to put it on grass or soft ground it might be OK.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
What do you guys think about this idea:

Crazy Creek Air Chair Compact

Chris
For 80 bucks, I'd want something with legs... I don't see the point of this as it's gonna bend and compress so much you might as well just sit at the picnic table. JMHO

If you are under 200 lbs, there are many copy cat versions of the rei flexlite chair on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/G4Free®-Portable-ultralight-outdoor-fishing/dp/B00OIDB8M4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434978150&sr=8-2&keywords=g4free

Bike
I looked and debated for some time before ordering my Kermit with th xtensions.NO regrets! It has my name embrodried / sewm into it , and also serves as a extra piece of living room furniture so it is available for any vistors to try if they beat me too it! Well I will share even so, I do have a three legged fold up light weight thing from a locsl Bi-Mart store, a mini version of wally world and locally owned. it works for srt usage, but it certainly doesn't come up to the Kermit.
I must admit that the Kermit has not been away from home yet, I had it available for last yearbut decided to travel light to Spearfish, and on two camp trips with RV I had other chairs that stay in the RV trailer.

Kermit is also available for Phil when he comes and we want to set outside!

Eldon

Top Bottom