More efficient exhaust systems?

Igo

A better breathing intake and exhaust is the simplest way to increase torque and horsepower. Is there a commercial set up for the NT? Just curious. There seems to be something for every motorcycle under the sun but I haven't heard anything about the NT.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If there is, I haven't heard of it. On a semi-related note, over on the COG List, one of the guys who has done a lot of work to get more oommph out his old engine was surprised to learn that blocking half the intake area into the airbox gave him more hp and more torque -- verified by dyno results. I think he gained nearly 15 hp, and several lbs/ft of torque.

There is another guy, a Presbyterian minister who was no doubt predestined to do stuff like this, who has turbocharged and fuel-injected his Concours. He says he can pull 150hp out of an engine that most of the time was credited with about 90 rear-wheel hp.

So, there you go, Igo, you can accept the challenge and be the first to have a blown NT.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Nos the Chemical supercharger. Exhaust driven, engine driven or out of the bottle they all do the same thing in the end.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Igo,

The only aftermarket exhausts for the NT I know of are offered in Europe. They are an OEM replacement and do not add any significant power as the government rules on replacement parts are very strict in Europe. I believe the brand name is Motad but I'm not positive on that...

I have seen an advertisement for the DynoJet PowerCommander for the NT somewhere. Their "tuning center" is in Vegas, try calling them...

Last edited:
Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
I'm with Paul. The NT wasn't designed for 100 hp, and it shouldn't have it. Keep the rpms up and I think it produces all the torque and hp that I need. The engine is bulletproof and dependable (as witnessed on the UK forum) and I wouldn't want to do anything to jeapordize the quality engineering that went into it.

OP
OP

Igo

To be honest, if I had wanted more HP and torque, I would have bought a different bike. Anytime you start modifiying things for more power output, the reliability factor rears it's ugly head. And playing around with things on a FI bike with computer control is risky, unless you know the parameters of the ECU. Start flowing more air, and the limits of injector flow rates and fuel correction factors in the ECU can lead to a lean mixture - and that is NOT good for any engine. I've seen high flow airfilters in FI cars lead to engine detonation so bad it puts holes in the piston tops.
I am more than fully aware.

OP
OP

Igo

I am sure that after I am able to open up the bike a little (still breaking it in) that I will be more than pleased with it's performance. I was just curious because for most motorcycles out there, there have been long established set up for improving air and fuel flow through the engine. Most simple modifications of say 6-7% increase in horsepower are only at the expense of EPA regulations. I am also not interested in noise or emissions violations and was just curious.

1TRAK

I am sure that after I am able to open up the bike a little (still breaking it in) that I will be more than pleased with it's performance. I was just curious because for most motorcycles out there, there have been long established set up for improving air and fuel flow through the engine. Most simple modifications of say 6-7% increase in horsepower are only at the expense of EPA regulations. I am also not interested in noise or emissions violations and was just curious.
I've got about 8000 miles on mine and it runs better than when I got it. Not a lot but noticable. I've read that these engines were designed for modest power and maximum durability, so I flogg mine occasionally and have no issues yet. Still not quick by any means but I can smoke my coworkers on their cruisers!

Last edited by a moderator:

bish79

Still not quick by any means
I still have to respectfully disagree with this statement. I would say the NT isn't really quick or fast, but as you mentioned it smokes cruisers and most cages. Its not as fast as my first bike but that was crazy fast (after a few mods) and its not as fast as the turbo S2000 that I had. But all in all its not slow at all, and I would even say that it is quick. Its all relative.

On the point of the lack of exhaust or intake systems out there for the NT, I have to agree with the OP in that it is odd and disappointing that there seems to be no options out there. Not that I would want them, but with every other bike in the world having 500 different choices for aftermarket performance enhancers, why not the NT?? Some aftermarket stuff is well engineered and built and has no noticeable effect on reliability. I had aftermarket intake, exhaust, underdrive pulleys, header, etc on my old civic and it had ZERO reliability problems for over 5 years and 80,000 miles with that stuff on it.

Having said all of that, I probably wouldn't do anything to the NT since I am happy with it just as it is (well maybe a few storage and visibility mods... but that's all).

1TRAK

I still have to respectfully disagree with this statement. Its all relative.

Having said all of that, I probably wouldn't do anything to the NT since I am happy with it just as it is (well maybe a few storage and visibility mods... but that's all).
I hear and understand your comment, I could have been more specific and said compared to sport bikes. I've ridden them for years and still compare everything to them. Don't misunderstand me though, I love this bike and only plan a few more comfort mods to make her perfect! Take Care

OP
OP

Igo

I was really more curious than anything. I want a quite bike this time and I am more interested in reliability than anything else. If there were a standardized or highly recognized system out there then I might have gone for it.
54 degrees in Vegas. Time to hit the road.

elizilla

I would be interested in an aftermarket exhaust if it doesn't make the bike louder or less reliable. The possible improvements I can envision are power, weight reduction, easier rear wheel removal, and prettier appearance. Any of those would be selling points.

Bike
2014 Black Yamaha Bolt
I agree with Katherine. Mostly what I would like is a little lighter a little easier breathing. On my old cruiser the only mods I made were on the air system. Opened up the carbs a tiny bit, new K&N filter and a Cobra exhaust. It gave me a few more ponies and was very noticeable. I didn't like the increased noise though. It was fine if you rode normally but if you dropped a gear and went WFO it was terrible. Eventually I went back to the stock mufflers, neglected to change the carbs back and had lean problems until I traded it for the NT in Dec '09. I actually like the NT the way it is. Shift at higher RPM's than when new and she scoots pretty good for this old man. :cool:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I don't find it odd there are few performance mods for the NT. Look at where the primary market for it is, Europe! In Europe the governmental laws and insurance regulations don't allow street use of most performance mods that are sold here for sport bikes or cruisers. Any serious mod would need CE, plus local country jurisdiction, approval to be sold which is both time consuming and expensive. As long as the US market is a small percentage of the overall NT market I don't expect to see US companies do a lot of R&D improving its performance, the return just isn't there... The sad part is most NT buyers are of the demographic than can afford to mod so if it was available it would stand a good chance of selling...

OP
OP

Igo

I would be interested in an aftermarket exhaust if it doesn't make the bike louder or less reliable. The possible improvements I can envision are power, weight reduction, easier rear wheel removal, and prettier appearance. Any of those would be selling points.
And these are all the selling points that has made me modify delivery and exhaust on my bikes sense the 70s. Unfortunately, I've seen nothing for this bike.

OP
OP

Igo

If this bike sticks in this country the intake and exhaust are sure to follow. I don't know of any bikes in this country that don't have available performance farkle. Us 'Mericans just can't leave well enough alone. HAhAhAHAhaaa

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Igo, You are probably right. From 1971 to 1975, I was a Norton Benelli Dealer. Sure,everyone wants to improve performance. Problem today is the "swill" we are forced to burn--Ethanol. I usually add a 1/4oz Marvel Mystery oil to my fuel. (The stuff is really souped up ATF) It does insure that the Ethanol does not mess up seals and O rings. Adding Stabil Marine also prevents phase separation. On my Ninja that made a lot of difference--The Ninja revved 13K. I love mechanics and like to do my own work. I bought a factory NT-700 manual, and was really disappointed. Honda could have done better.

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
If there is, I haven't heard of it. On a semi-related note, over on the COG List, one of the guys who has done a lot of work to get more oommph out his old engine was surprised to learn that blocking half the intake area into the airbox gave him more hp and more torque -- verified by dyno results. I think he gained nearly 15 hp, and several lbs/ft of torque.

There is another guy, a Presbyterian minister who was no doubt predestined to do stuff like this, who has turbocharged and fuel-injected his Concours. He says he can pull 150hp out of an engine that most of the time was credited with about 90 rear-wheel hp.

So, there you go, Igo, you can accept the challenge and be the first to have a blown NT.
That is funny, Phil! Even how you slipped it in there, about predestination. We all have our quirks, in every denomination or even congregation. I heard a great speaker a few years ago point out all of our little differences in belief and had us all , from different churches, just rolling with laughter. the really important stuff, we all agreed on. You seem like a preacher I would like to hear speak sometime.

Top Bottom