More efficient exhaust systems?

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
When I feel the need for a power-thrill, I take my old Vmax out for a ride. Funny thing, it scares the crap out of me more than it did before I had the NT.
But I still can't make myself part with her and just have the NT.

boss57uk

I would like to see a dual exhaust system. Just for the aesthetics.
I was thinking that. It a shame the NT wasnt given the same exhaust setup as the PAN's . when i get mine back from the shop i going to take a close look to see if this can be done, unless of course some one on here already as looked :)

Racer-X

Igo... I had a recent "chance" (ha!!) to test my NT a little. I said this in another post, but I'll repeat it here... That I might regret admitting out loud that I was speeding a little :)

But even with my weight and the extras hanging on it, I recently had no issues topping a BMW M5 driver who chickened our after my speedo easily swung through 110... And I had a bunch of throttle left over. Not sure where she might top off, but at that time I was running out of safe road to finish that little unintentional experiment on. I love how smooth this bike is. They really nailed the suspension ratios and such. Wwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeee :)

Racer-X

YES Chucksklrst...... A dual, slightly smaller barreled, carbon bodied exhaust setup would be sweet!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
my speedo easily swung through 110... And I had a bunch of throttle left over. Not sure where she might top off,

Racer-X, If your electronic rev limiter works like mine does, by the time you get to 121mph, you'll hit 8600 rpm and the engine will cut out.

I've only had mine to 108 mph.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Igo... I had a recent "chance" (ha!!) to test my NT a little. I said this in another post, but I'll repeat it here... That I might regret admitting out loud that I was speeding a little :)

But even with my weight and the extras hanging on it, I recently had no issues topping a BMW M5 driver who chickened our after my speedo easily swung through 110... And I had a bunch of throttle left over. Not sure where she might top off, but at that time I was running out of safe road to finish that little unintentional experiment on. I love how smooth this bike is. They really nailed the suspension ratios and such. Wwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeee :)
How do you like that undercowl ?

Racer-X

How do you like that undercowl ?
The lowers are OK. They do not have quite big enough foot/ankle flairs, but they seem to eject heat great and not toward the rider!!! I rode mine through all sorts of hot weather scenarios in the past few weeks and storms too. While they don;t provide complete rain protection, they do not overheat you in heavy traffic either. At least that's been my experience with these on my bike. I am actually thinking of marketing a new custom set with slightly sharper lines to better match the bikes styling, and of course have better lower flair sides, and even adjustable airflow gates. What would you all think of that????? Probably $150 more, but color matched, U.S. made and maybe even carbon fiber options too!!??? More later....... X

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I am actually thinking of marketing a new custom set with slightly sharper lines to better match the bikes styling, and of course have better lower flair sides, and even adjustable airflow gates. What would you all think of that????? Probably $150 more, but color matched, U.S. made and maybe even carbon fiber options too!!??? More later....... X

For that price, I would probably be interested. It's sure a better-looking cowl than the OEM one.

dancer

The lowers are OK. They do not have quite big enough foot/ankle flairs, but they seem to eject heat great and not toward the rider!!! I rode mine through all sorts of hot weather scenarios in the past few weeks and storms too. While they don;t provide complete rain protection, they do not overheat you in heavy traffic either. At least that's been my experience with these on my bike. I am actually thinking of marketing a new custom set with slightly sharper lines to better match the bikes styling, and of course have better lower flair sides, and even adjustable airflow gates. What would you all think of that????? Probably $150 more, but color matched, U.S. made and maybe even carbon fiber options too!!??? More later....... X
The seat sounds good with the sides cut down.Can you make it an inch lower...dancer

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I am actually thinking of marketing a new custom set with slightly sharper lines to better match the bikes styling, and of course have better lower flair sides, and even adjustable airflow gates. What would you all think of that????? Probably $150 more, but color matched, U.S. made and maybe even carbon fiber options too!!??? More later....... X
Don't forget to "cut" the bottom out so the lowers do not need to be removed for an oil change... Not a big deal but it would save a few minutes when doing maintenance.... I am going to rework the front of mine to a single opening, with mesh screen, and "notch" the bottom out this winter....

Racer-X

Don't forget to "cut" the bottom out so the lowers do not need to be removed for an oil change... Not a big deal but it would save a few minutes when doing maintenance.... I am going to rework the front of mine to a single opening, with mesh screen, and "notch" the bottom out this winter....
Absolutely... What I actually have in mind is to include a quick-drain fitting that extends with an angled tube fitting and comes out through the lower left half at about 15 degrees off center. Having just a cutout would still be quite a challenge and it would have to be larger too to account for the difference in the oil drain stream from full to lesser flows. The oil filter is already accessible in the rear of course. Thanks guys!!

vetlad1954

I love my NT and I have my Superhawk when I need a thrill but I wish the NT had just a little exhaust note because sometimes the engine sounds like a Paint Mixer. I am afraid to start messing with the muffler because it looks expensive.

Steveo

110.....sounds like a very optimistic speedometer

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
110.....sounds like a very optimistic speedometer
I don't know if all NT's are this way, but mine is spot-on with my GPS at all speeds I've driven. My car and truck are the same. My ST's however ran just under 10% too high at all speeds.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Above 80 with the BT-023s, my speedometer is 1 mph higher than my GPS. From 80 on down they match.

BTW, according to my calculations, 8500 rpm (the NT's redline) is 120 mph. My bike may go over the 8500 by 100 rpm before the rev limiter kicks in, but I'm not sure. The fastest I've gotten Dudley is to 112, and I had no throttle left over. I was on a long straight 2-lane in western Nebraska and could see 10-12 miles in front of me. I kept it at 108 for the ten mile stretch, but wouldn't have been able to accelerate much beyond that.

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
Phil, he traded the bike for a Corvette. That's the bike I ended up getting! So I'm guessing he won't be pursuing the matter any further.....

RacerX, whatever happened to your fairing lower design?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Phil, he traded the bike for a Corvette. That's the bike I ended up getting! So I'm guessing he won't be pursuing the matter any further.....
I thought I recognized that bike...only a couple of us have went the SkidMarx route....

Top Bottom