valves

jadorff

just wanted to post on here i had to replace the fork seals so i took the bike to honda to have them done ,asked them to check the valves as they were done at 25000km on the last warranty service, after that i have done my own servicing .having now done 96000km seeing as the book says to do the valves every20000km i think this is a bit of a con my valves were in tollarence and didn't need any adjustment . anyway i thought that was interesting

Bike
Silver NT700V
OK, abject ignorance here. What is the difference between "loose" valves and "tight" valves and what is the result of each?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Loose valves have more clearance than they need between the valve actuation device (in the NT's case, that's a rocker arm that gets moved by the cam lobe as it rotates) and the valve stem. That means that the valve doesn't open quite soon enough or quite far enough, so performance suffers.

Tight valves don't have enough clearance so the valve doesn't close firmly against the valve seat in the cylinder head. That means that it can't transfer heat from the valve to the cylinder head so the valve gets hotter and hotter and starts to deform.

Now I have to qualify my answer by saying that I'm making all this up by thinking about what I believe would be the consequences too much or not enough valve clearance. I'm fairly sure that the real experts on the Forum will chime in and correct my misunderstandings and help enlighten all of us.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I'm going to hit 16K just as Spearfish comes along. I am not going to do the valve check until I get back, if I do it at all

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I think you'll be safe. My mechanic told me that he didn't think he'd bother with valve checks very often after the mileage I've got now. I do need to check to see if not doing them would invalidate my extended warranty.

Top Bottom