rookie camping trip

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I finally went on my very first campout Saturday night. I rode 110 miles to Bob Sandlin SP and got me a spot. Nice Park
Camp setup took me about 90 minutes, since this was my very first try. Its going to take a few tries to figure out how to be organized inside the tent. And I think knee pads are in order: I think that was the worst aspect of the trip, apart from the heat inside the tent. Every time I had to do something in the tent on my knees it was torture. The sand in the tent pad was like concrete. And the noseeum mesh in the REI tent does not allow breezes to flow thru the tent, so although it was perfectly cool and breezy outside, I was burning up til about 2 AM.
And then came the rains about 5 AM. I had to wait for a lull from about 5 til 7ish...Looking at the radar, I knew I couldnt get home without riding thru a major storm that was still coming. And Since I had no roof over the picnic table, I couldnt pack while it was actively raining. While I was waiting, I packed everything I could while inside the tent. About 7:30 I got a break and hurredly struck camp and packed my wet, sandy tent. Then managed to change clothes and shoes in the open without getting wet.

My plan was to break camp and seek out a picnic pavilion, and as oon as I started my bike it began to rain. I found a pavilion, where I stopped and waited for the storm.
I have rain gear, but I had all day to ride 100 miles and didnt want to purposely head into a storm when I didnt have to. After two hours it was still raining but the storm was over, so I donned my rain gear and rode on home.
I had to set up my tent and hang my footprint and fly to dry. I cant seem to get all the sand out fo the tent. It doesnt simply shake out when you turn it upside down. It was like that sand you get at the beach...wants to stick to everything
All in all the trip was a butt whipping but I learned some things I needed to know for the future, so I will call the shakedown outing a success

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Some tents vent better than others. For summer camping I always bring a fan. Any small, lightweight battery operated fan will work. Once you start sweating and the fan is on you'll actually get a little chill. The fan has saved me a few uncomfortable nights in the past.

90 mins is a long time but not sure what all was included or when you started the timer. I camped at Bob Sandlin last year and yeah, that sand took a while to get out of the tent. I ended up using a water hose on the inside of the tent, then a sponge, then let it dry and that helped 'loosen' the sand up so I could shake it out.

If there's any chance of rain, my raingear is in the tent with me so I can put it on - an acrobatic event on it's own - so I'm good if it's raining in the morning.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Quite a success as far as I can tell. You can always learn much more in such a situation than if you had camped under good conditions 10 times.

As you have found, a good packing sequence is essential for rainy days. What gets packed first and last as well as where on the bike you pack it. Waterproof and not waterproof. etc etc.

Interesting timing as I am working on a load plan for the Guzzi. Have camped with it a couple of times but I need to change some things. I will also have a new top box for it that needs to be "integrated" into the plan. Then have to make some bags to fit the spaces. Also have some nooks and crannies that I can adapt to some items.

And, no, especially in your part of the country, do not intentionally ride into an unknown thunderstorm. I did that when hauling my RV one time. Never again. That is one of the good things about having a smart phone. I pull up one of the weather apps and get the up to date weather radar map to check storm intensity and direction. Then plan around that. MUCH better than looking at the sky and guessing where the bad parts are. Also another reason to leave some extra time on the back end of a trip so you don't have to ride through storms to get home at a specific time. In some of these circumstances I will leave the weather map on the phone while I am riding just to make sure nothing "pops up" in front of me NOTE: I have a RAM mount for my phone and use it as my GPS as well, so all I have to do is 'switch screens' to have the weather.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
PS thanks for the info on the fan. Any specific models that work better than others? I am assuming it is not one of the little ones sold at drug stores.

PPS another reason why I carry a 4 person tent :) No problem getting dressed and packed while inside the tent. And a bonus is I can cook breakfast or make coffee in the vestibule as well without getting soaked.

PPPS one other lesson for rain camping, site selection. Not as important in established campgrounds with tent pads, but, do not choose a low area and check where runoff will happen. Have woken up with a small river going through the tent. Not pleasant. :)

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I have one of these, nice fan but the ratcheting adjustment is a little noisy:
http://www.amazon.com/O2Cool-1041-S006-001-Portable-Battery-Operated-Fan/dp/B001AVMSEY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370871707&sr=8-1&keywords=battery+operated+fan
41nxy5LyMIL.jpg

I've used this one for a while too, has a magnetic base/plate so you can put it anywhere in the tent but I found the attachment is weak and will break but I liked it better than the fan above:
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000001021-Tent-Fan/dp/B0009PUPSS/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1370871857&sr=8-24&keywords=battery+operated+camping+fan

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
90 mins is a long time but not sure what all was included or when you started the timer
Joe
I can actually throw the tent up in about 5 minutes, not counting getting the fly on and stakes and guy wires. I guess Im just not too organized yet, so all the little stuff added up and I really didnt hurry. That 90 minutes included water breaks plus actually getting moved in and inflating things. Since I had electricity and didnt have to pack for a long trip I also had a fan, which made it bearable til things cooled off. I was just shocked and disappointed at how the REI mesh wouldnt allow what was a delightful breeze to flow thru the tent.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
As you have found, a good packing sequence is essential for rainy days. What gets packed first and last as well as where on the bike you pack it. Waterproof and not waterproof. etc etc.
I used Mellow's video as my template for packing. I have a waterproof compression sack I can pack all my sleeping gear in, so it stays dry no matter what happens
Then the tent goes in its own water resistant bag, and everything goes into a waterproof duffel, so you have waterproof inside waterproof
The DryPak duffel sat thru 2 hrs of thunderstorms and worked great
The issue I had was my picnic table wasnt covered and I couldnt put my jacket, helmet, riding pants and boots out in the rain while I broke the tent down.
And I didnt want to wear rain gear to pack
I had all day to get 100 miles so it was ok to wait.
If I was in a hurry I would have had to suffer a little

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Joe
I can actually throw the tent up in about 5 minutes, not counting getting the fly on and stakes and guy wires. I guess Im just not too organized yet, so all the little stuff added up and I really didnt hurry. That 90 minutes included water breaks plus actually getting moved in and inflating things. Since I had electricity and didnt have to pack for a long trip I also had a fan, which made it bearable til things cooled off. I was just shocked and disappointed at how the REI mesh wouldnt allow what was a delightful breeze to flow thru the tent.
Ah well then you're doing just fine. The organization part comes with practice, you find things you don't need or need more than others, things that can stay packed in the bike vs things you want with you, etc etc...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Where is Bob Sandlin? I'm thinking it's near Mt Pleasant. Seems like I used to ride a bicycle by there when I was avoiding staying at the house when we were visiting my ex-wife's folks.

I'm getting faster with setting up camp, but have got to get a routine for breaking camp and getting stuff packed on the bike. A 4-man tent is going to make a HUGE difference for me. My metal knees are really uncomfortable for putting weight on and I could barely move inside my Halfdome 2+. But the Halfdome 4 made a big difference for comfort and room the one night I've stayed in it and packs nearly as small.

One thing about the Epic Ride is that unless I've lost the capacity to learn and improve, it's going to give me lots of opportunity to get better about camping!

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Sounds like a good learning experience.

I've yet to be caught in the rain while camping and I'm sure it will be a disaster of a process when I do, lol. Although if I knew rain was looming, I'd likely just wimp out and grab a cabin instead of a tent site (or even a cheap motel). I don't camp as efficiently as Joe as comfort for my 260lb self is different than others - I use a cot AND a 3" thermarest. The thermarest takes up the entire small TT dryspec bag. And the cot is cumbersome to assemble/disassemble and can't be done inside the tent (but works extremely well). So basically, it takes me some time to get fully set up or fully pack up, but then again I've never been in a rush to do either like I would be if I was getting rained on.

I think you did a great thing by picking a location close to practice so no matter what happened, it was just a short ride home. What you just went through probably just made you a more experienced motocamper than me (I only have four or five nights under my belt so far - never with any adverse conditions).

I bet your second time will go MUCH more smoothly!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Yep! It was 12 miles from my ex-in-law's house. I'd ride past it, cross the bridge, ride SE to Pittsburgh, then either go on east to Daingerfield, or go back north past the giant statue of Bo Pilgrim and his chicken to Mt. Pleasant.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I think you did a great thing by picking a location close to practice
I didnt try to reserve a spot until Friday night. 85-110 miles was as close to home as I could get with electric. Anything close to Dallas goes pretty quick, so you have to widen your horizons if you arent going to plan ahead
Isle DuBois is still about 60 miles from me, so practicing 'close to home' is a relative term

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
You couldn't pay me to stay in a hotel while touring. Don't care if it's 110 outside or 10... rain or shine or even snow.. for me, it's the 2nd half of the adventure, the 1st half being the riding. It's not for everyone but I know it's for me... LOL but then, many have said 'that boy ain't right'...

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
They say "experience is what you have after you needed it". Camping will become much easier as you develope a routine and refine your set-up/tear-down practices.

I've never seen a tent with no-seeum netting that allows much breeze. It isn't just the REI brand. Mosquito netting flows more air (along with the no-seeums).
Packing up wet gear is always a pain. Sometimes I stop for a mid day break and dry out my tent, especially if I'm not going to use it again soon. Otherwise it tends to ferment in the summer heat, especially if it is in a bag.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
You couldn't pay me to stay in a hotel while touring. Don't care if it's 110 outside or 10... rain or shine or even snow.. for me, it's the 2nd half of the adventure, the 1st half being the riding. It's not for everyone but I know it's for me... LOL but then, many have said 'that boy ain't right'...
On my first motorcycle trip, I learned two things the hard way. 1) Be cognizant of the weather, and 2) plan your destination around good camp sites. (2a) National parks have nice campsites, generally.)

I had been planning a trip, and work forced me to take a vacation (use it or lose it) earlier than expected. So I left May 1st and rode west through the cold rain. I managed to stay dry, but it was cold and started off the trip getting chilled. By the end of the first day I stopped in a little Kansas town. No good campsites or lakes nearby. Predicted temps were so low that I opted for a hotel. I managed to find a campsite on my 2nd night in Colorado Rockies, but the KOA was closed. It didn't even cross the mind of this Kansas boy that May 2nd was too early in the season for a KOA to be opened at 4000 feet. The place I found was mainly set up for RVs. I was going to tent camp, but I was the only one there. They didn't want me to freeze so they gave me a good price on one of their cabins. This turned it to be a good decision since that night it snowed and hit 12 degrees.

I will you the rest of the details, but due to poor planning and bad weather I only used my tent 3 out of 8 nights on the road. I have since taken a couple of trips where I was able to tent camp every night. Going Later in the season meant more tourists and hotter weather, but I think I am like mellow in preferring to camp. It is part of the trip and I enjoy it. It may not be as nice, but I find the campsite more relaxing. I work long hours indoors most of the year and really appreciate the opportunity to get outside and enjoy nature.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Oh for the joy of the Hilton, Best Western, Hyatt, or even a Motel 6 when it's 90 to 110 degrees
The logistic limitations of using a CPAP made me re evaluate my lodging choices for my ride to Spearfish. Its so hard (for me) to find campsites with hookups in the locales where I need them to be. And if you do find electricity, it sometimes costs nearly as much as a low rent hotel!
When an electrical campsite costs nearly $40 and a Motel 6 can be had for $36-$49...that's a no brainer.
Thats why I will be camping only 4 of 10 nights on this trip
If I could get by without the machine I would rough it...and I am not buying some kind of 12V rig to haul around the country

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
CPAP is a lifesaver, but it's got to be a burden, too, Clay. I'm impressed that you haven't let it turn you into a vegetable.

Top Bottom