Rear end attention getters

CommuterNT

I thought I'd posted a thread on what the Knight Riderz brake light looks like here. But I can't find it. Hmmm...

View attachment 7052

Cost is $29.95. They have a flashing strobe effect at first, then go steady. The light is almost painfully bright to anyone behind you and up close.

Chris
Chris, have you had any positive or negative response from the side to side strobe effect of the light? Also I'm assuming from the video posted on the website that the side to side strobe effect is constantly on until you apply the breaks?

Kyle

Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
The Bestem top box I bought has its own light bar included, I just bought the optional ($10) wiring harness for the install and now have running and stop lights on the top box.
I'll be adding the Tail Brights reflective kit later too.

CommuterNT

Kyle, I thought the side to side "Knight Rider" effect was cheesy, so I only connected the brake lights. Besides, I think there's a better chance of the rear brake light being noticed if the activation is from off to on, not from a partially lit stage (the Knight Rider effect) to a fully lit stage.

I can take close up pictures of how I mounted it, if anyone's interested. In your case Kyle, I could just drop by your place. ;)

Chris
I agree with you on the cheesy look of the side to side lighting and would probably go without and just do like you did and the off to on when brakes are applied. I wouldn't mind seeing how you mounted them. You could post a pick or I believe you described it in another post awhile back.

CommuterNT

Chris,
Thanks for the pics, it gives me plenty of ideas to work with. Also people with pristine garages make me nervous!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
LOL that was for the battery charger :) Had the lights and stuff on for quite a while tracing all the wires.

Tim

Bike
2010 NT700V silver
I am impressed with all these mods that you all have come up with. I am not very good at electrical work, but I can change a light bulb. Is there a LED or otherwise brighter bulb that fits in the original socket? I have a hi-viz jacket, vest and helmet, but there is no substitute for being your own lights in some situations.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Modulating headlights/aux lights is not a bad idea as visibility, not involving stopping, is what you are after.
After having four cars rear ended, with one totaled, in 20 some years of Atlanta traffic my experience doesn't agree... All of those cars had fully functional brake lights including high mounted stop lights that were "in riders/drivers eyes." All were at a dead stop when they were plowed in to...:rolleyes1: When you can see nothing but red lights, for as far as you can see in heavy traffic, having a flashing light gets more attention than just another steady red light. Since I have a steady OEM brake light already adding something like Hyperlites supplements the existing lights and makes me more noticeable in the "Red See".

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I am impressed with all these mods that you all have come up with. I am not very good at electrical work, but I can change a light bulb. Is there a LED or otherwise brighter bulb that fits in the original socket? I have a hi-viz jacket, vest and helmet, but there is no substitute for being your own lights in some situations.
Yes there is. I got some at my local Autozone. Get the bulb substitutes that look like this.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/s-series-bulbs/1157-led-bulb-dual-intensity-45-smd-led-tower-/814/

IMHO the best ones for tail/turn/brake are the ones with LED's around the circumference as well as facing back

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I do not 'get along' with the brake flasher modules. I tend to 'pump' the brakes when stopping. Each 'pump' means the module flashes the lights again. YMMV

Having said that I really wanted to fit one of those flasher strips that goes back and forth (a la Cylons or Knight Rider :) ).

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA

Tim

Bike
2010 NT700V silver
Bike
2011 NT700VA
Chris,
Did you have to add any type of LED load equalizer to the wiring? I'm asking because I installed a set of ElectroPods this weekend. They work fine with the key on, but with the bike running they flash so fast they appear solid. Wish I had found the Knight Riderz first.

For a couple years, I wanted the Admore lights, but just couldn't bring my cheap self to spring for that much money for a simple LED strip, even if it did flash. I stumbled on the Knight Riderz LED light bars and wondered if you'd get a lower output light since there was such a price difference. When I hooked up the wires the first time on my Burgman 400, I had the Knight Riderz brake wire connected to the Burgman's tail light...and the light output wasn't anything great. It took me a second or two to figure out what I'd done, and I made the right connections. I couldn't believe the difference! The lights work, and work well. I don't know what you get extra with the Admore lights, but these work well enough that this was one of the mods I knew I'd make on my NT.

FWIW, I have about 26,000 miles of usage on the first set of Knight Riderz LED lights and they still work great.

Chris

Bike
2011 NT700VA
Buyers remorse. I might remove them and replace with the Knight Riderz. Thanks for your input!

Top Bottom