Strange Buell

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Boarding the ferry the other day I got to talking with another biker I've known for awhile as he showed me his "new" bike. Actually the bike isn't really new, it's a "juiced" Buell (tuned headers, different cam and various other stuff) of some age that the former owner had turned into a drag bike, with a claimed 129 HP. It had wheelie bars and flat slicks and stuff when my acquaintance bought it.

Since this guy uses it as a commuter, of course he removed the wheelie bars. The tires he kelp for a bit, but the bike was essentially unsteerable with the drag-racing ties on it so he changed those out. He's pretty small (weighs maybe 140 lbs.) and the bike's quite light as well, so it's ridiculously quick. He tells me the bike is very tricky to drive. Very little throttle movement gets you gobs o' go-fast. He gassed it too much once and ripped 4 teeth off the drive belt. So he had to replace that.

Here's the interesting part. It has an actual muffler on it and it's not unduly loud. Of course, he probably has learned to drive the thing at mostly 40% power or less, but still it shows that noise is just that - noise.

jackgermain

Strange is a great way to start the thread. I guess I would have only one question for the fellow biker ---- WHY ?

OP
OP
Rich
Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Strange is a great way to start the thread. I guess I would have only one question for the fellow biker ---- WHY ?
I'm thinking he may not have quite appreciated what he was getting. I didn't think to ask what model this started out to be, but it's obvious it wound up being too pumped up for the final drive belt.

I recall driving a Ford Pantera once. The accelerator felt like an on/off switch, and the clutch pedal was like something off an old, beat-up truck. Very badly balanced between the two. At least the brakes felt up to the job.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
kind of pointless to try to improve a buell. They were very well engineered for riding.

His initial intent, a real road worthy bike based on harley engines, suffered from heating problems due to the engine layout. Other than that they are a hoot to ride. The rotax bikes were just racing bikes with a license plate.

Top Bottom