Tour Master Intake Air 3 Jacket?

HAT

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Looking for a new jacket and like what I see with the Tour Master Intake Air 3 Jacket. Seems to fit pretty well and features are decent. Anybody have this? Opinion?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've had one for several years. Using it "bare" without either liner is how I wear it and it works great. Although the waterproof and warmth liners appear to be a good idea, putting them in place is a real pain and as regards the former, it seemed to always come undone when I remove the jacket. I have a Frogg Togg top with me in the saddlebag and also long sleeve shirts if I need rain protection or warmth and they are much easier to get on/off.

Having a waterproof barrier that was touching your skin always seemed like a crazy idea to me.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Excellent jacket. I have one and love it. Very cool in the summer and quite warm in the winter with the liners zipped in place.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Two different views of the same jacket combo, both valid. :)

In regards to riding into the Vatican, people who've been there have often said the diesel fumes from all those tour buses idling is stifling.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I have had several jackets over the past few years. The biggest thing I found was the liners were a PITA to get in and out. I liked the First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket, but, it was too warm in summer and not warm enough in winter. And the insulated liner was still a pain to put in and take out.

Riding on trips with a mesh jacket showed me what I needed. When a little chilly I put on a Frogg Toggs over the jacket (same with rain). When cold a hoodie goes on underneath the jacket and Frogg Toggs on top of that.

So, when I went to look at jackets I found the one I wanted. Tourmaster Flex III. The rain/wind "liner" is on the outside. Just slip it on over the mesh jacket. It has zippers at front, sleeves, bottom and neck, but, I usually just use the front zippers. And I don't use the insulated liner (which is very nice one). I carry a hoodie if I need it.

However, I have not tested it in rain. Heck, I can't remember the last time I rode in rain for more than 5min. Couple of years ago maybe?

The pants I have are the Tourmaster Venture Air (they don't make a Flex III pants). I use them with Frogg Toggs when I want wind/rain protection and long underwear when I need insulation (not very often).

Now, cue the Stich people...... :)

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
As far as liners go, I have given up removing/reattaching. To use it I just put the liner on like I would a sweatshirt or whatever and put the jacket on over it. Easy-peasy. My Olympia works great like this, as it's common to want the liner in to the West of the Cascades or while going over the passes and off when you're on the East side.

For winter driving I use my Tourmaster with the liner in all the time.

In serious rain I use a rain jacket over whichever I'm wearing.

OP
OP

HAT

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Thanks for the input. Valid points from all. Knowing that gear is a personal choice, was hoping not to start a “which oil?” thread.

Have checked out the Tourmaster Flex III as well, since like charlie b I also found the rain/wind protection as an outer layer to make sense. Seems like a more convenient setup with it as an outer layer; easy on, easy off as quick as the conditions change. Also seemed to allow the mesh layer with protection to fit better since the rain/wind layer was shedding off the outside rather than coming out from underneath. That said for one reason or another, still leaning a bit toward the Air Intake III, but it’s close to a toss-up.

When trying on various jackets, would agree that the more convenient way is to layer is without all the zippers, snaps, etc. – just layer them on/in without all the attachments unless it’s going to be worn that way all day (or most of the day) or for the season. Didn’t really seem to be a disadvantage for fit or movement.

And DirtFlier, whaddya think about the price of beans lately? :)

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...just put the liner on like I would a sweatshirt or whatever and put the jacket on over it. Easy-peasy...]

That is a technique I'd honestly never considered but I'll still continue carrying my Frogg Toggs.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
My problem with the winter liners is that if not attached at the cuff they ride up the sleeve. And most look ugly if worn alone. The nice thing about a hoodie is I can take off the bike jacket and still have something to wear. Last is I have hoodies in three different 'thicknesses'. A 'tshirt' version, std sweatshirt, and a fleece lined one. The fleece lined one I use under my leather jacket in winter and has been good down to 22F.

And for mesh gear...why put a rain liner on the INSIDE? Seems really a dumb idea to me, but, I can understand it is a cheap solution for the mfg's. They can offer cheap liners and then have more "features" to offer with their stuff.

OK, so I'll get off my soapbox and let you guys discuss other options. Still surprised the Stich guys haven't weighed in here.

FWIW, if I lived where it rained a lot, I'd have a Stich suit.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
OK, I'll jump in...

I SURE DO LIKE MY AEROSTITCH ROADCRAFTER!! It works in wet or dry, by itself in temps from 50F-90F. With an electric jacket and LD Comfort underwear from 10F-110F +. On and off in seconds. And I've got more closet room.

Plus, it only cost me about a grand. :)

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I originally bought an Air Intake but exchanged it for a Sonora as I wanted the double zipper (I prefer less pooching around the waste) and am enjoying it. For rain protection got a Tourmaster Sentinel top (hide away attached hood, yea) and bottom (no drawstring, boo, so got suspenders). Originally had a Joe Rocket mesh but Tourmaster has it beat by a country mile.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I have been very pleased with the stich two piece roadcrafter. All day in the rain and it worked well, I have not yet had many miles in real hot weatherbut I am sure as Phil ays with LDComfort and electrics it will handle everything. in the last 15 years I have had numerous fabric sets of Gear, the best being the first gear Kilimarjaro I bought in 2001. for the best possible fit and quality Langlitz Leathers of Portland Oregon I wore them for years, going back to 1960. I tried a Tiez , it fit very well, but the quality of workmanship did not stand up, and I was not happy even after replacing the zippers in the pants with full length leg zippers. in short it was a $1000.00 learning experience. With the Stich I ordered the pant bib , I did a week long trip with out it , and then put it in and it made a very good improvement , Thank's DEE G!! I will update Phil's dollar figure, nearly $!350 with bib and altorations. In hindsight If I had bought the stich in 2000 I wouldn't have a closet full of extra gear. but with grankids and a son who are all riding most of it is finding a home. The Langlitz if properly maintained with leather dressing will do a very good job in the rain especially with electric linners under it, if you know you are going to be in nasty storm rainall day long a set of rain gear is a good idea. If y our size will fit into or allow you to have altorations done to the stich it is a vey good investment and should last you for a long time.

I am sure there are many who will disagree with my thoughts which is fine. My suggestion based on over 50 years of riding is buy the best gear that you can and that will last you for a long time and it will save you money in the long run. this goes for boots gloves, helmets & underwear etc as well

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
There's a discussion going on right now on the Long Distance Riders List about saddles. One guy says he can't afford a Russell. About 50 others have told him he'll spend more on cheaper saddles than he would if he bit the bullet now and bought a Russell.

I feel the same way about Russell DayLong Saddles and Aerostitch Roadcrafter riding suits. But, that's just me!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
There's a discussion going on right now on the Long Distance Riders List about saddles. One guy says he can't afford a Russell. About 50 others have told him he'll spend more on cheaper saddles than he would if he bit the bullet now and bought a Russell.

I feel the same way about Russell DayLong Saddles and Aerostitch Roadcrafter riding suits. But, that's just me!
Depends. There are comfortable alternatives to a day long if you don't mind refitting a different seat pan to your bike. But, for a custom rebuild, Russell is it.

Stich does make a great product for inclement weather. For my use I just don't need one.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX

I agree with 100% with you Phil so you are not alone,
Eldon

OP
OP

HAT

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Found this interesting twist on a multi-layer jacket. Never thought about wearing the wind/rain liner on the outside - makes good sense when you think about it and adds another dimension to make the ensemble more flexible. In a light on/off drizzle or just to block wind I would prefer the liner inside, but during a decent rain it makes perfectly good sense to put it on the outside, keep the mesh layer dry, and might be more effective that way, also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=981K-Y5-A3g

Top Bottom