My new Bolt

Bike
2014 Black Yamaha Bolt
Many of you know I bought my 2010 NT in Dec 2009 and it was one of the first sold in California. I heard the bike was coming, researched it as best I could and ordered it sight unseen. I was tired of riding my Bagger a 2002 Yamaha Silverado 1100. It was okay in a straight line but that was about it. And I thought with my retirement the NT would fit the type of riding I aspired to. I should have known the first time I threw my leg over it at the dealer it was the wrong bike for me, it was too tall. I figured I'd get used to it, I never did. And life kind of got in the way and I never rode the bike as it was supposed to be riden.

A couple of months ago I saw the first ad in Rider magazine for the Bolt. I was smitten. I had been looking at H-D Sportsters and Street Bobs. I started researching again and read everything I could. I contacted a local dealer and he said he would have a couple in late May or early June. This time I wasn't going to buy without seeing one and testing it. When it came in I rode up to Yucca Valley in the High Desert to test ride.

When I stepped up to the bike I was impressed, it looked like an Iron 883 on steroids. I threw my leg over with no problem and started it up. Nice low rumble. The first thing I noticed was the engine, I could see it, and the rear cylinder was very close to my...well lets just say it was close. Both my feet were firmly on the ground and it made me feel very confident. I let out the clutch and pulled up to a nearby stop sign and put my feet down. Man, they touched down right now, I didn't have to tippy toe it at all. Let out the clutch and pulled out onto Highway 62 toward Twentynine Palms (that's 29 stumps or the "stumps" to any of you old jarheads out there) and easily merged right into traffic. Lots of low end grunt, felt good. I did notice early on that the suspension was as I had read stiff and short. It didn't care for frost breaks across the road or pot holes (kinda like my NT) and the speedo was difficult to see in certain light.

Well, to make a long story short, I was impressed. This was the kind of light and nimble bike I wanted. It's not perfect, but what is. I rode it 45 miles that day to it's new home and left the NT behind. I smiled all the way, and I'm still smiling.:smile:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Glad you got a bike that fits you and works for you, Dan! Congratulations.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Yamaha has done some nice things with their cruisers... congrats on the new ride, I need more garage and less house.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I like the Bolt as well! The v-twin power is surely adequate and the coolest thing I see is that the foot pegs are exactly that and placed in a more "standard" position. No forward controls for me! Hope you get a lot of enjoyable miles on it.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Sometimes I wish I could stand the cruiser sitting position. A lot of neat bikes out there and many at a reasonable cost.

kenstone

Dan:
Nice bike, I know others who have bought one too.
I know the feeling on the NT I moved down in engine size, buying the NT, but up in both weight and seat height:(
I have and ride a bike very similar to the Bolt, but it's no longer produced...here's a pic:

Yes, the tank is small and requires more gas stops, but I seem to need breaks more often now:wink:
I'm loving the NT too, and will even more once I lower it, but I feel the extra weight everytime I roll it out of my garage.

Enjoy the Bolt,
Ken

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Ken, what is that? It's a pretty bike.

I saw a flat-black, no-chrome (except air-cleaner cover) Harley that a woman was riding. I don't know what it was, but it was small-looking and very attractive to me. I could see myself riding something like it. It had foot-pegs and seemed to have greater than average ground clearance.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Ken, what is that? It's a pretty bike
That looks like a Suzuki Intruder
IMHO, the VERY BEST attempt any Japanese mark has ever made at a cruiser
I had one of the very first 700s they came out with in '86. Rode one trouble free for 14 years
The prettiest Japanese cruiser ever made
Very good machine

kenstone

Ken, what is that? It's a pretty bike.

I saw a flat-black, no-chrome (except air-cleaner cover) Harley that a woman was riding. I don't know what it was, but it was small-looking and very attractive to me. I could see myself riding something like it. It had foot-pegs and seemed to have greater than average ground clearance.
Thanks
It's an 07 Suzuki S50(vs800)
I have an '93 VX800 Suzuki too (same motor), that's the one that broke:( so I bought the NT.
Here's a pic of the VX:

Sorry for the drift Dan:eek:

Tonydtiger1971

Looked at the bolt, have the predecessor in my garage needing a front end. Love the bike but it still needs another gear on the highway. :) I hope you enjoy that bolt for many years to come.

Top Bottom