Unplanned, Very Unplanned

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Recently I walked out the door of my house, glanced at my ATV all covered up as it has been for months and said "That's it, it's getting sold." So I loaded it on my trailer and hauled it to my local Kawasaki dealer. The owner, Marshall, and I came to an agreement on what to ask for it and I signed the consignment papers. Great! As I walked out, I glanced to my left at used bike row and spotted this Triumph Scrambler (2008). I looked it over, sat on it, went back inside and told Marshall that I was not planning to buy a bike, but how about I take it for a test drive. He tossed me the keys, pointed to the helmet rack and said "Put one of those on and go for it." So I did. When I got back he asked me how I liked it. I told him it was a hoot to ride, then I said "What will it take to turn that consignment into a trade-in?" No problem, so the Scrambler got loaded onto the trailer and now lives at my place!

Attachments

OP
OP
RedBird

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Hi Bob, it's fun to ride, though I did change the bars so I could sit up without leaning quite so forward. I also added a windscreen and a rear luggage rack. Need to be able to carry some stuff at times. Anyway, I enjoy it for local jaunts.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I'm telling you guys, be careful when you look at Triumphs. Don't ride anything you aren't ready to buy. First Rob, then me, now Ken, Bob is looking. Did anyone else go British (okay Thai) that I didn't notice????

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I would have a real close call if the local Honda dealer had offered a trade in on the NT. The VFR1200 on the showroom floor has been marked down the below $10k :)

But, I was safe, he had two used ones already that he couldn't sell. :(

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
If I had the enough extra cash for more than one bike, the Scrambler would be on my short list...or maybe a T-100 like vzshadow's...or maybe a Tiger 800 roadie...or maybe...

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Congrats. The scrambler is very high on my "would love to own" list. I have been to the BMW/Triumph dealer on occasion and the scrambler was the one I have sat on the most.

OP
OP
RedBird

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Sam, it's mine for sure. Apparently the fender plate is an accessory that the previous owner added. My bet is the fender plate numbers matched his Colorado plate. The bike came with this, the headlight grill, the skid plate, the engine guards, the tach, the big oval number plates, and the "performance" mufflers (along with the original ones). All these accessories are official Triumph ones. I don't know what the mufflers do that enhances them from the stock ones, but my bet is they are louder at least. They must do something else, since for fuel injected bikes the instructions say to load a new map into the computer. They do have an EPA stamp on them, and as I said are an official Triumph accessory.

Don't know if I will keep the fender plate mounted, but if I take it off, I'll need to plug the 2 holes in the fender that the mounting screws use. I've already changed the handlebars, added a windscreen and rear rack, and removed the number plates. The rear rack mounts at the same place the left number plate support did, so the plates came off. If I do keep the fender plate mounted, I probably should change the numbers to match my Colorado plate.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I had kinda' wondered why you were Number 25 instead of Number 1. :)

Top Bottom