Any advice on washing a jacket?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Ok, I know what many of you are going to say; real bikers never wash their riding gear, but I'm not married to a real biker. The wife is raising a stink (pun intended) about my Fieldsheer mesh jacket stinking up the house after the Spearfish trip. Apparently, scraping off the dried bugs and sponge cleaning the shell is not adequate according to my wife, so I am wondering if any of you have any tips or a advice about how well they hold up to a "Dry Clean" cycle on one of todays new front load HE washing machines?

Of course, I would remove the back, shoulder and elbow CE armor before washing. Any tips or advice, and please remember one thing. I do love my wife a great deal more than you guys, so be diplomatic please! LOL
Len

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I just take out the armor and wash is very little detergent. We have a side-loading washer so that helps and it does a pretty good job.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
The cleanest my jacket ever got after it was all bugged up was after I rode 250 miles in the rain...It looked brand new

Based on that experience, I would think a good long soaking in the tub with straight water or maybe some Woolite? or hang it up and hose it down for a long time
Copious amounts of water can do wonders

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've washed my Tourmaster mesh jacket several times without any problems, using normal clothes washing detergent with the machine on the "mild" cycle. I always hang to dry which takes a few days. Since it's not waterproof, there is nothing more to do.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
ditto, but, add one thing. Extra rinse cycles, at least twice for me (we have soft water). Any detergent at all left on the clothing is not only bad for it, but, it kills any waterproofing.

Bike
Black 2006 NT700V
I've been using the NikWax range of products for several years with great results - TechWash for cleaning and TX.Direct?Wash-In for waterproofing.

OP
OP
enigmatic biker
Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Thanks all...I think I will use the front loader washing machine's most gentle cycle. Heck, if it falls apart I have a valid excuse for a new one I've been eyeing.

Bike
2014 Black Yamaha Bolt
Remove the armor, remove liner if one is there. Use a lIttle bit of soap, delicate or casual cycle, cold water, low spin. Hang to dry. Or, you can always read the directions sewn into the jacket.:cool:

Bike
11VStrom650 & 16Tiger800
ditto, but, add one thing. Extra rinse cycles, at least twice for me (we have soft water). Any detergent at all left on the clothing is not only bad for it, but, it kills any waterproofing.
Ditto. Our 4 jackets and pants (summer and winter gear) get the "gentle" treatment (minimal laundry detergent) without armor in our top loading machine on gentle then hang dry. Always come out clean when washed approximately twice a year.

Wanda P.

Last edited:
Bike
Silver NT700V
Basically, I do the same as many above. Remove all removable armor (my back protector is sewn in), wash in cold water on gentle cycle, hang to dry in the garage. I do this maybe twice a year (whether it needs it or not HA HA). No damage so far but the Hi Viz parts are fading, after 5 years.

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I've been using the NikWax range of products
Excellent advice. If the jacket has a water proof membrane, you should use nothing else. Even if it is cordura, Nikwax will make it at least water resistant. Detergent makes any jacket, even goretex, less water proof every time you use it. The tech wash works well and even removes grease, and the wash in product works wonders. If you have problems finding it, Amazon sells the two products bundled together for a good price. Ken

Len, I'm like the others. But I wash my jacket (similar to yours) about every four or five months. I have a front loader. I use liquid Tide or something like that and I pour out the amount that I need into a cup and then pour the detergent over the most soiled parts of my jacket--cuffs, pockets, etc.--and let it sit for 30 minutes or so, then throw the jacket into the washer and use hot/warm cycle under 'heavy duty'. My jacket has held up just fine with no issues at all.

Terry

Top Bottom