4th Nat'l NT Rally-Jul 9-12, 2014 - Spearfish, SD

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Warren,

I used mine 4 of the six travel days. Mostly the last leg in the afternoon. It worked great ... but we were riding in the low humidity on open roads with few stops (SD, MT, WY, ID, WA). I packed it in a 2.5 gal zip lock bag. At a fuel stop, I would fill the bag with cool water, make sure that the vest was saturated (approx. 3 qts), shake it out and put it on over poly tee shirt and under my jacket. It kept my shoulders and back very cool. I am not sure how well it will work in high humidity or stopped in traffic. It will also make your clothes damp (not a problem in this case). I will be packing it for all warm weather riding.
Joe

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I agree. I wore mine even after I got home and then during a nap in this terrible heat and even 24 hours later it is still moist and has some cooling left in it. I am thinking about getting another one for work around the ranch. If I had to nit pick I would say it would work better if you got one that fit tight so that it presses against your front as well as the back and shoulders. My wind direction on my bike is back to front in the jacket area so my jacket balloons out toward the windscreen. I would also add that I forgot my bandana of the same material to try in conjunction with the vest but as it turned out my wife needed it at a hot dog agility trial...but I might try it today...Forecast, "Extra Crispy"

Warren,

I used mine 4 of the six travel days. Mostly the last leg in the afternoon. It worked great ... but we were riding in the low humidity on open roads with few stops (SD, MT, WY, ID, WA). I packed it in a 2.5 gal zip lock bag. At a fuel stop, I would fill the bag with cool water, make sure that the vest was saturated (approx. 3 qts), shake it out and put it on over poly tee shirt and under my jacket. It kept my shoulders and back very cool. I am not sure how well it will work in high humidity or stopped in traffic. It will also make your clothes damp (not a problem in this case). I will be packing it for all warm weather riding.
Joe

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
A "Polar Vortex" isn't fun. I just got home after riding through a bunch of cold, wind in the middle of the UP of MI, and rain (called a Polar Vortex) by the weather man. 47 degrees with gusty winds and rain. So my vest was not a cooling vest but rather an electric vest on maximum output. I will be looking for a vest like Frosty's though, so next year when it is 100 degrees I'll be ready.

It was great to visit with all the friends at Spearfish and renew old friendships. But I did miss those missing members who had other obligations. I stopped for a visit with "Miairhead" on my way through MI. He lives about a mile from where I grew up. He was a great host and we had some great conversation before I left. Tom is just itching to ride with some NT members.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I arrived home last night. Paul Baird and I left spearfish on Sunday morning EALRLY. the evening found him at home in Sandy UT and I made it 825 miles to Twin Falls ID, I spent two nights there with my old AF buddy then took two days to wander across central & SE Oregon, spending one night In Burns. Then from there yesterday.

I did manage to find about 20 miles of new chipseale roadway both days from Twin Falls on. I must say that my magna cooling vest did a good job for me. I used it in same way as with LD comfort inder the Stich Roadcrafter. definatly better to me than the wet cooling vest that I left at home! I could walk into a restaurant and ot look as if I had a problem with wet pants etc!

A very enjoyable time at this rally, particularly meeting new friends , as well as seeing old ones. And I didn't have to leave until I was ready to , not like the past two years!!!

Eldon

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Glad you did too, my friend....it was great riding and talking with you....care package being prepared....be patient and Santa will arrive....!
All you guys who weren't there, don't believe him. There was plenty of pizza left over.

I really enjoyed the rally. It was a great intro for a first time attendee.

I am still on the road, waiting until tomorrow for the weather to clear to do the final leg into Dallas.

Top Bottom