4th Nat'l NT Rally-Jul 9-12, 2014 - Spearfish, SD

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I've got to defend my friend Phil. He actually used a clear liquid that was in a water bottle which was left on the picnic table to mix with some whisky and remarked how unusual the whisky tasted. It wasn't until the next AM that he tried to use the same "water" to make some coffee or hot chocolate. It was then that he was told that it was actually stove fuel. So his "mixed drink" was actually a mixture of ethanol and methanol. He didn't have two of them!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Actually, I drank the whole mixed drink of Jim Beam and stove fuel, thinking all the time that Jim Beam must be the worst bourbon ever distilled.

Then on Sunday morning, I drank Starbuck's instant coffee made with the same stove fuel and don't think I swallowed any of it. I did spew it rather violently because I knew that instant coffee from Starbuck's couldn't possibly taste that bad. For the next 12 hours or so, I wondered how the blindness happened -- slowly or all at once.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Well, semi-bummer. I might not make it to Spearfish this year. We've got a closing date of July 10th for the sale of our home in Fort Morgan and the purchase of our new home in Greeley. Since movers will be unloading in Greeley on the 11th, Spearfish sounds like it's out for this year.

On the other hand, the good news is that we've sold a house we need to sell and we found a place and got a contract, so we will have a place to live!

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Well, semi-bummer. I might not make it to Spearfish this year. We've got a closing date of July 10th for the sale of our home in Fort Morgan and the purchase of our new home in Greeley.
Phil - Many times in the past my wife and I have had to ask to adjust closing dates when buying or selling to suit OUR needs. Never hurts to ask! They may just accomodate you. But, Spearfish just wouldn't be the same without you.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Rich, We've got three parties (counting us) who had somewhat differing needs. This date comes closest to suiting us sellers and buyers, and satisfying our buyers and our sellers.

Spearfish without me won't be the same for me either. If someone could send me some stove fuel, it would make me feel almost like I was there.

Rick, the address is 6534 W 18th St Rd, Greeley, CO, 80634. Drop by on your way home. I do hope to make it to Rocky's Reudi Reservoir Rendevouz at the end of the month and I'm hoping I'll be able to make it to the Reno Air Races with Coyote Chris.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Phil, sorry to see you are "out" for this year. Maybe we can find someone else to poison this year.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I will bring the Canadian Mist, BBBBUT I will be on guard against the stove fuel. In fact I will keep the bottle hidden! although if my chaperone comes with me I will probably be keeping a dry camp as far as adult beverages are concerned.

Eldon

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Phil, sorry to see you are "out" for this year. Maybe we can find someone else to poison this year.
Jim, I am new this year. OTOH, I will not drink out of something I did not open - well, usually anyway.

Phil, as long as I am in the neighborhood, I would like to drop by and meet you.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
John, I'd be delighted to have you drop by. Keep me posted on when you are coming and I'll tell you which town to go to.

BTW, I opened the stove fuel. Well, unscrewed the top of a "water" bottle (not a for-sale at the convenience store water bottle, but a backpacking water bottle). I probably would have figured out that it wasn't water if I'd just smelled it. Then I mixed it with Jim Beam (something else I'd never tasted, even though I've had lots of other bourbons and Tennessee whiskies). I didn't open the Jim Beam either, so when I drank my first drink made with stove fuel, I thought that Jim Beam was just an awful bourbon. The next morning when I made a cup of Starbuck's instant coffee was when I realized that it was the "water" that tasted bad. When I didn't go blind within the first 48 hours, I decided maybe I had gotten away with it.

:)

Last edited:
Phil, you will be missed. Glad house sale and purchase are progressing well. I'll have a shot of Joe's Jim Beam for you but I do draw the line at mixing it with George's stove fuel. jim

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
I still haven't decided for sure whether I will camp this year or not. For those staying in hotels, which one? The Days Inn last year was upscale, clean and pleasant, but very pricey. I will be bringing camping gear to use to and from Spearfish, but may be ready for a real bed by the time I get there.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Yeah - I'm staying at Bell's too - and its within walking distance of the camp ground, which means that if I have a drink or too, I can walk back to my bed. I don't even look at a motorcycle when I've consumed alcohol.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I have another Motorcycle ride planned for July during that time frame. Taking the DR on The Continental Divide Trail from northern Colorado to Deming, New Mexico. If that falls through then I will be coming to NatSToc/NT Rally. Won't know until the last min.

Bike
After some deliberation versus, Camping / motel and a long serious discusion with my Grand Daughter and her Father & checking accommodation availibility We have reserved accomodations at Bell's from 9 - 12 July. I had looked forward to camping, BUT for security reasons it was decided it would be better to not to have to pull guard duty while Grand daughter was in shower, and leaving her alone when I would be doing same etc. I would trust our own people but you just never know in a public campground where trouble might come from and I will use whatever means is required for her protection.

Eldon

Bike
Rick,

The senior rate for four nights is only $264.71 including tax. Senior is 55 & over I got that from the horses mouth as I spoke with Scott, the owner himself this morning. This is for a non smoking room in the older section of the Motel.Now I am not calling you a old geezer or anything and as a judge of age or a bartender or person that has to check ID's I Would be totally incompetent, LOL I would probably card a 35 year old:doh1:

Eldon

Top Bottom