My Big Lids

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
They have been on the bike for a while now and thought sharing there value to me would be some value to you.
Bought them from http://www.davidsilverspares.com/
Getting my bike in the garage means threading between the end of my wife's car and the garage door. Bought her a Fiat 500C and have less issues getting the bike in even with the big Lids.

Left the longer straps in place on the exhaust (right) side and have not regretted it yet. Thought that the ability to swap back and forth would be more attractive than it has turned out. They have never come off. A top box that took me some time to put on came off never to return. The lids have stayed in place for the duration.

What do they do for me. Can leave my large SYMAX II in the left bag and the 2X mesh jacket in the right while I am at work. My Man Bag (backpack) fits in the left (15.6 laptop too big) lunch in the right one on commutes. A set of Besteem liner bags for trips has served me well. Strap the CPAP and any other overflow to the backseat and it has worked for me that way.

Good value for the money? For me yes. Too expensive by a long shot but it works here for me. Use them every day the bike gets ridden and make my life easier. The downside? Other than the cost they make the latch system even more fiddly. Something still worth the trade off for me.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I routinely have to carry stuff that will not fit in the panniers (large or stock) of my NT, nor would they fit in the ones on my ST1300s. This is due to their shape, more than volume. A couple of examples would be laptop computers (I've had to carry as many as 3 at a time) and my flight bag. The top box is the most practical for these examples and various other stuff that pops up.

Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
I do still plan to add the big lids eventually, it would make carrying some items a bit easier and would limit the need for the top box in most cases.

However, before I get them, I need to reinforce both the lid side and latch side of the mechanism before either goes bad on me.

I figure I have time to do that right now while I'm off work and can't ride...

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Have you any specific ideas on how you would reinforce them?

Chris
+1 on what Chris asked.

I have already decided I will put external lockable pull latches on mine, but also want to avoid cracks in the area around the hinges.

BTW - on another thread, there is a discussion about not buying another bike with built-in saddle bags. I agree - next time I'll buy it naked and put Givi cases on it.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When I bought my first Concours 1000, I ordered a Givi top case, thinking that either it or the Connie panniers would stay off the bike except when on trips.

Wrong! When I was working, I used the top box for some things, the panniers for others. Same deal with the NT, although the little lids limited that some.

There's no such thing as too much storage on a bike. I once carried $277 worth of groceries home on the Connie; I think about $250 worth is tops for the NT. A Chase-Harper Bungee Buddy makes the rear seat another carrying place.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
The big lids have been on for a while now and now that the factory lube is gone (laboriously cleaned away) and grit is no longer making the latches stick they work great now. The Bestem liners http://www.bestemusa.com/search.asp?keyword=honda+nt+700&search= are a treat to haul your stuff to and from the bike.

I find sometime that I use them zipped to the smaller size and stow camp gear behind the bags and such. I like the setup very much.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
The other nice thing about the bigger lids is the pass through area can handle packages that are almost 3ft long!

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
These rank as my second favorite farkel on the bike. Is there a sidecar to carry even more stuff in my future? The big lids and a top box will haul a lot of gear. What I really like and use the most is to stow my riding gear on the bike when I commute with it.

After cleaning out the factory lube (grease) from the latches and using a dry type lube my panniers have worked without sticking or breaking. Knock on wood. They get opened and shut each time I ride the bike and are still working.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
:plus1:

I carry an amazing amount of "stuff" on the bike. I'm probably overloading the Topbox as well.

My panniers get opened multiple times a day, at the very minimum 4 and usually more than 10. Look after them and they'll look after you. Touch wood.

Top Bottom