I jumped in the deep end

Bike
Bonneville T120
Just a few days shy of 3 years of ownership, 6 days shy, I traded my beloved NT on a Triumph Trophy. I'll miss the NT, it's a great bike.

The main reason for the trade was to facilitate two-up touring with my wife. I want a bigger more stable bike.

The Trophy is an awesome bike. The 1200 triple makes a distinctive whine, sort of like a turbojet hurtling down the runway towards take off.
More power than I'll ever need, but it's nice to know it there. The throttle is like a needle in the hands of a junkie. It handles as well as the NT. Almost sport bike handling. Very comfortable. The wind protection is amazing.

There must be drawbacks. In the low seat position it's almost as tall as the NT and it's 100 pounds heavier. I'll have to be careful walking it around.

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
WOW, looks great, Dan! I'll bet it is a hoot to ride. Seems like they could have made the panniers a little larger, though. How do they compare to the NT in size & shape? Did you get a trunk also? Can't wait for my next trip out there so I can see it in person.

docta

Just a few days shy of 3 years of ownership, 6 days shy, I traded my beloved NT on a Triumph Trophy. I'll miss the NT, it's a great bike.

The main reason for the trade was to facilitate two-up touring with my wife. I want a bigger more stable bike.

The Trophy is an awesome bike. The 1200 triple makes a distinctive whine, sort of like a turbojet hurtling down the runway towards take off.
More power than I'll ever need, but it's nice to know it there. The throttle is like a needle in the hands of a junkie. It handles as well as the NT. Almost sport bike handling. Very comfortable. The wind protection is amazing.

There must be drawbacks. In the low seat position it's almost as tall as the NT and it's 100 pounds heavier. I'll have to be careful walking it around.

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

Congratulations on your acquisition! The Triumph is a great bike, well equipped and will probably extend both ends of the riding season for you. If I could get any of the babes here at the Retirement Home to open their purses a little wider, I might be joining you.

TW

tawilke46

Nice Dan, really nice! The blue color is super. After you have had time to get acquainted with your new Triumph give us a little review on it if you don't mind.

The new bike bug strikes again!

I think we still have a Triumph dealer in New Orleans. Dare I go down and check out the new Trophy? Just don't bring the check book!

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Looks and sounds good. I know the triples are great, for me if I were to get a triumph it would have to be the clone in appearance to the old ones of the 50's &
60's vintage but with out the prince of darkness electronics. Yes I know those are history in the new ones.

Eldon

OP
OP
vzshadow
Bike
Bonneville T120
WOW, looks great, Dan! I'll bet it is a hoot to ride. Seems like they could have made the panniers a little larger, though. How do they compare to the NT in size & shape? Did you get a trunk also? Can't wait for my next trip out there so I can see it in person.
Thanks.

The panniers will hold a full face helmet. They easily come off the bike and the latches actually work (so far, knock on wood).
So much bigger than the standard panniers on the NT.

I did order a top case and the back rest that will help keep Suzie comfy on the back. It wasn't in stock and neither were the heated grips. Both should be in towards the end of this week so I'm trying to put miles on it so I can get the first service done at the same time as accessories are installed.

Congratulations on your acquisition! The Triumph is a great bike, well equipped and will probably extend both ends of the riding season for you. If I could get any of the babes here at the Retirement Home to open their purses a little wider, I might be joining you.

TW

I'd be happy to try and sweet-talk them, but I'm sure you've tried that already. Plus I'm sweet-talked out after convincing my wife that I "needed" this bike.

Fantastic! That bike is very sophisticated electronically and the 3 cylinder engine is state of the art.

Be careful as it has twice the HP of the NT700.

I was at a Triumph dealer a few weeks ago and fell in love with the Tiger 1200SE but alas, I was riding my Goldwing and felt like I was cheating just looking in lust at that Tiger.

The sweetest sound from a bike I've ever heard was a Sprint with a 3 into 1 exhaust system. It sounded like an F1 car at full throttle.

Sam:)
The sound is seductive. Twice the horse power of an NT, I already discovered that. Yikes!!!

Nice Dan, really nice! The blue color is super. After you have had time to get acquainted with your new Triumph give us a little review on it if you don't mind.

The new bike bug strikes again!

I think we still have a Triumph dealer in New Orleans. Dare I go down and check out the new Trophy? Just don't bring the check book!

I'll get a more complete review before the snow flies, and that won't be too long here.
I believe it's Triumph of New Orleans on Julia Street. I would recommend you do bring your check book!!

Thanks all!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Color me green with envy! If I was to abandon my NT, it would be for a Trophy. But, as I am not finished farkleing the NT yet, I don't see a Trophy in my future anytime soon.

Reports please. My hanging around the Trophy forum is not enough.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Congratulations Dan! I somehow had the feeling you were going to end up with a Moto Guzzi Norge.
The Trophy looks spectacular. Welcome to the 1215cc Triumph Triple club! My dealer keeps selling the ones he gets in so I have yet to actually see one in person. Will look forward to whenever we meet up next to take a closer look!

Which actually, could be soon. I might be up in Ellsworth from the 25th - 27th.

Bob

Congrats! How do you like the seating position compared to the NT?

OP
OP
vzshadow
Bike
Bonneville T120
Congratulations Dan! I somehow had the feeling you were going to end up with a Moto Guzzi Norge.
The Trophy looks spectacular. Welcome to the 1215cc Triumph Triple club! My dealer keeps selling the ones he gets in so I have yet to actually see one in person. Will look forward to whenever we meet up next to take a closer look!

Which actually, could be soon. I might be up in Ellsworth from the 25th - 27th.
I like the Norge a lot, but the Guzzi dealer network is almost non-existent, especially here in Maine. Triumph is not all that much better but I couldn't help myself. A visit would be good. Would you ride up? It may be cold!

OP
OP
vzshadow
Bike
Bonneville T120
Congrats! How do you like the seating position compared to the NT?
The Trlphy seating position is similar to the NT but more upright. Even with my risers there was still a little forward lean on the NT. The Trophy is just a tad lower with the seat in the low position, but the bike is 100 lbs heavier. I'm still very careful moving it around and at stops. I'll need to continue to be vigilant.

You should include the Trophy on your next bike list. The bikes you list are all worthy, but I'd recommend a test ride on the Triumph too.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Well, my Single Malt Man, you did it. That is a serious touring machine which will be great for two up riding. The NT is a great touring machine for us solo riders. Methinks that the Trophy would be too much for me--especially with the weakness in my right leg.

Triumph has made an incredible comeback after the Asian assault. Their bikes are superb. Had a chance to ride a Bonneville and was quite impressed. The only drawback was that it had lights instead of guages.

I have my "Triumph Clone" licensed, insured, etc. It is a great bike but it has atrocious brakes. We need to get together before the snow flies.

You made an EXCELLENT choice.

OP
OP
vzshadow
Bike
Bonneville T120
Well, my Single Malt Man, you did it. That is a serious touring machine which will be great for two up riding. The NT is a great touring machine for us solo riders. Methinks that the Trophy would be too much for me--especially with the weakness in my right leg.

Triumph has made an incredible comeback after the Asian assault. Their bikes are superb. Had a chance to ride a Bonneville and was quite impressed. The only drawback was that it had lights instead of guages.

I have my "Triumph Clone" licensed, insured, etc. It is a great bike but it has atrocious brakes. We need to get together before the snow flies.

You made an EXCELLENT choice.
Alex,

I'll come down for a visit or if you're headed to Bangor give me a call. My only complaint is the weight and I can't quite flat foot it. I took Suzie out for a short ride today. She loved it and was impressed with the stability and power. She said it was a smooth ride.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Love the color and the extra power would not be hard to take. Enjoy.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
A visit would be good. Would you ride up? It may be cold!
Undecided. My father will be coming up from Boston so I know he'd rather ride in the car with me rather than meet me up there so we'll see.

Cold? Bah...I ride all winter so long as the roads are dry! Going on a camping trip (in Maine) this weekend with some guys from the Stromtrooper forums. Not worried about the riding, but it might get chilly sleeping in the tent!

Might you have any availability on Friday afternoon for a little visit? Maybe just meet up for a cup of coffee? Would sure love to see the Trophy!

Last edited:
OP
OP
vzshadow
Bike
Bonneville T120
Rob,
Friday afternoon I'll be headed to Augusta to Blouin Triumph for the 500 mile service and to pick up my top case and heated grips. The sales manager said he'd give me a bike to ride while I'm waiting. It's about half way between Bangor and Portsmouth!
Dan

Top Bottom