Thoughts on the Trophy

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
have had only one issue with the bike since, and it wasn't "really" the bike. I had the ECU recall done a few weeks ago and following that the cruise control failed. A week later I got down to my "local" dealership (80 miles away) to have it fixed. After two hours of fussing around the tech called Triumph and found that the cruise control had to be reset after the ECU recall was completed. The tech claimed that the resetting of the cruise control wasn't clear in the recall instructions. Right! So I think my second problem was really the dealership not the bike. Other owners have experienced the same post ECU recall cruise control "failure".
It's not a failure. Cruise Control is disabled whenever the ECU is flashed (or replaced). It is enabled/disabled with a sequence of button and lever presses. The first time my ECU had an update, they did not do this so I looked it up on how to do it myself. When the ECU was replaced for the recall, they did remember to enable it. This will happen any time you have the ECU flashed - just something to keep in mind.

It basically means the tech is not familiar with the bike and had no idea changing or flashing the ECU resets CC because it wasn't clearly spelled out in the recall instructions. But the Explorers and trophy's are still kinda new, they probably don't have a lot of experience with them yet. Not sure of the technical reasons why this is so, but you would think dealerships would be extra careful about this because people have work done, then CC doesn't work and internet forums light up with "OMG THE TIGER EXPLORER (or Trophy) HAS A FAULTY CRUISE CONTROL" and leads to poor product image. But clearly they aren't.

Here is the sequence to reset it if the dealer forgets: (you can tell because the cc light comes on and blinks when you start the engine)

Ignition key on (engine not running) and cruise control switched off:
Activate front brake switch
Rear brake switch
Clutch switch
Twist grip switch (push the throttle in the closed position)
Activate cruise on/off switch
Cruise accelerate switch
Cruise decelerate switch

If the CC light goes out the CC is reset.

Last edited:
Top Bottom