New H-D, smaller, for the NT target market

tawilke46

I for one think introducing these new smaller displacement bikes is great. The trend for years has been toward ever larger engines and very heavy bikes. It is nice to see a new trend recognizing a need for more mid size engined bikes. Modern technology makes these smaller engines much more entertaining than in the past. More fuel efficient to boot. Not to mention the bikes are much more affordable which translates to more prospective buyers.
Honda appears to have kicked off a new trend in mid size bikes. I think it is good for the market.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Sam, I think you are correct. I read in a motorcycle mag that these are made in India and are not for export back to the US. How would that look for Harley who brags about being an American motorcycle company to bring bikes into the country that were made in India. I am sure the Harley faithful would shun them even more than they do the Sportster :)

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I agree with Warren & Sam, LOL I had a pair of K model mufflers on my R-50 after I brought it back to the states in 1959. couldn't get a Set of mufflers from BMW in a reasonable amount of time , not to mention the cost. They made music on the BEEMER, Sam would have appreciated them!

HD has the technology to do a remake of the old K model with modern updating like over head valves, cams etc and even the dreaded water cooling with out importing them from 5th world countries. That would be super neat.

I don't like radical noise myself, my HD had a pair of HOOKER slash cuts on it when I bought it, TOO LOUD and they got traded for a set of stock takeoff's which are still opened up to make it sound like a Harley should! OF course IF I was still in my mid twenties ETC and chasing girls and riding Bar to Bar you would have to :rofl1:

Eldon

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Heck, the HD crowd say the Sporty "isn't a REAL Harley". Wonder what they'll make of these :) Probably make them park out back :D

If they ever get to the states you'll probably see them advertised for kids. Mom and dad on real Harley's and the kids on these little things, all with their *****less chaps on. :)

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
They might sell well here. HD site says arrival in US 2014. Problem is, no 'real' HD person would be caught dead on one. And anyone riding one will be shunned by the 'real' HD crowd. :rolleyes:

good on HD for moving in this direction, though. Not my style of bike, but I hope they do well.

Bike
2014 Black Yamaha Bolt
Charlie, depending on the age of the daughter (legal) I might be interested in seeing her ride by in chaps. And Warren, my first bike was a '63 Harley Sprint made by Aremacchi In Italy. Harley has been outsourcing for years, on the quiet side.:cool:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I think it's a good move by Harley. I noticed that the bike isn't as "feet-forward" as most cruisers and that's a good trend, too.

On a related note, this thread could easily turn into a Harley-bashing thread. Let's keep it in the "thoughtful discussion" zone.

Thanks!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
It'll depend a lot on the tone of the "truth"-telling, George. :)

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I certainly like what I saw. Definitely looks "Cafe-ish" The marketing people at H-D are incredibly smart and they know what will sell. We have a chap here who has been with The Motor Company for 35 years. His job was--and still is, when called on, to establish dealers. This man knows his stuff. I like Harleys and ride a Honda and a Yamaha. I also like Cadillacs, but drive a Vibe. I do like the 750 and 500. Congrats to H-D !

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I for one am glad to see Harley FINALLY attempt to manufacture and market motorcycles that I would consider buying. Sooner or later (when, I don't know) people will tire of the big v-twin, air cooled, loud, biker schtick that has kept them on top of the US market. When that happens (and it will) Harley would be dead in the water, kaput! This very daring move from the MoCo tells me that the product development folks realize this and are planning for the future.... good on them!

Mike

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Lets see. The motors are a 500cc and a 750cc V twin. They have an overhead cam and a four valve head. They are also water cooled. Sound familiar? Maybe Honda should stick the NT engine in a cruiser frame and get a few more years of life out of it.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
A great idea Warren, especially if they would set up the exhaust system with duals and make it easy to modify so it sounds good!:smile:

Bike
2010 Silver NT700

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
If I really wanted a middle weight cruiser I would get a Honda Shadow. Comes with shaft drive to.

kenstone

I think it's a smart move for Harley to keep the belt drive going on these new models.
These can compete with the chain drive bikes in the class and be cheaper than the few shafties left around.
I had a 500 Vulcan that was a belt and it was as good or better than a shaft.
Honda/Kaw/Suzy missing the boat with all new models being chain drive.
jmo

Last edited by a moderator:

kenstone

If I really wanted a middle weight cruiser I would get a Honda Shadow. Comes with shaft drive to.
I've sat on the newer Shadows and the 750 felt huge, not really something you'd call a bobber or Cafe style for sure.
I bought a Suzuki S50, which looks pretty close to this new Harley, and it's small, powerful, and fun to ride.
It's a borderline girly bike that's not made anymore:doh1:.
mine

Sorry, I'm a pic ho
Ken

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Shoot. Now I wished I would have owned a Honda Ascot VT500. The upcoming comparo tests including the Honda Shadow line should be interesting.....\
Chris who really enjoyed his 750 Yamaha Virago.

Top Bottom