Cooling Vests

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
This seems like a good time of year to ask this question as it is quite frigid in most places. Hopefully, this question will get you thinking about the coming riding season.

I ride in a very hot climate - deep south Texas is very hot and humid from May until late October. My old body doesn't seem to adjust to the heat as well as it used to, so I'm looking into some ways to keep cool during long rides in the heat.

Phil wrote something during his Epic Ride that he'd come to think that the traditional cooling vest may not be the best way to keep cool. But - - - what else is out there? I'm open to ideas.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I haven't tried anything exotic or expensive
I routinely ride in 90s and 100s
I wear UnderArmour wicking longsleeve top and soak my arms and my upper body at rest stops. I also sometimes will soak the mesh areas of my jacket
It feels like A/C for about 40 minutes

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Well, there's really just a handful of techniques and product that will help.

1 - cooling vests (evaporative)
These work 'ok'.. but only in low humidity areas. Once the humidity is high they loose their effectiveness and just turn into a slimy rag that's more annoying than anything.

2 - Mesh
We all know mesh works well to flow more air and especially in high humidity areas, however in low humidity like desert areas more air hitting your skin is a very bad thing.

3 - cover up
Yes, in the desert and very low humidity areas you want to cover up so when you sweat it stays on your skin and then you can vent air from the jacket vents to allow your sweat to do it's job of cooling you off before it evaporates.

4 - Phase change cooling
Pretty coos stuff... RPCM Cool Vest is one of those solutions that works well in high or low humidity.. it's like having a bunch of popsicles in a vest under your jacket... I've used one of these for commuting 20 miles to / from work in TX 95-105 temps and when I got home my shirt was dry and my skin was cool-to-cold...

There's an issue with every option above if it's the ONLY option you choose.

Evaporative vests have a very short time limit, Mesh is okay in certain locales and same with non-mesh as you do burn up if you aren't flowing any air. The Change Phase approach is expensive and bulky. There's even a system that will flow cool water through hoses through your jacket and recirculate it.. also very expensive.

So... what works?

Well, FOR ME... I'll use mesh gear in the summer, especially when not touring.
I always have a bike that has some type of fairing on it so I'm never fully exposed to the air so the danger associated with that exposure in desert areas isn't really an issue.
I will also keep a lightweight inner breathable liner with me to put on under the jacket so if I am in a low-humidity area I can shield myself from that type of heat.

When I'm touring, I'll try to anticipate the avg temps I'll be riding in and may switch out to a transitions 3 jacket as it has good vents.

The number 1 thing to always remember is keep hydrated... use a camelbak or some other bladder and keep a steady slow flow of water in your system all the time.. only drinking when you get gas is not going to work. YOU have to help YOUR body do what it already knows how to do, then you can supplement it with other items... but, NEVER ignore what your body knows what to do or none of the rest will save you.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I have a stay cool vest/ jacket with zip off sleves, it works good here in Northwest, I have not been out of region with it. It is a bit bulky to carry when not wearigpng it. It woks similarly to LD Comfort, but with liquid soaked into in it will work for a little longer time. Negative is that it is much more bulky to carry with you when not wearing and must be dried out completely if not being worn so it won't get moldy.

Eldon

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
2 - Mesh
We all know mesh works well to flow more air and especially in high humidity areas, however in low humidity like desert areas more air hitting your skin is a very bad thing.
Yep - all my gear is mesh - Motoport kevlar stuff. (I do have a pair of textile overpants, but that's not part of this conversation.)

4 - Phase change cooling Pretty coos stuff... RPCM Cool Vest is one of those solutions that works well in high or low humidity.. it's like having a bunch of popsicles in a vest under your jacket... I've used one of these for commuting 20 miles to / from work in TX 95-105 temps and when I got home my shirt was dry and my skin was cool-to-cold...
I found a long thread on the ST forum from way back in 2007 - and you said that you were going to purchase an RPCM Cool Vest. I assume that is what you are referring to when you say you commute with one. Since you've used one for six years, what is your long term assessment? Do you use additional packs for longer rides, keeping the spare in a cooler? Did you stay with the "Santa" vest, or try another? Why the Santa vest?

The Change Phase approach is expensive and bulky.
Okay - expensive being relative, is bulk a problem?

The number 1 thing to always remember is keep hydrated... use a camelbak . . .
On my last bike, I had room on my handlebars for a cup holder. I would keep a water bottle in that and stay hydrated easily. But, there is no room on the NT's handlebars. Looking at Camelback's cataloge is bewildering - so many choices. Anybody out there with some suggestions?

Bike
Hydration: Get a set of the Aerostich large pannier bags, the ones that some folks said over a year ago wouldn't fit. They will!!! you can put almost a gallon of water in either , or both sides with a bite valve and drink tube running from into the bag to where ever you want to attatch it to your jacket , or tank bag et; with ice [packed around the remaining space in that Pannier bag you will have cool water for your entire tank of gas, maybe a bit longer. If you think you will need more than one bag y ou can get a second drink tube and set up two bags of water lor one of gator aid and one of water. with out Hepko Becker tank guard bars you will have to figure out where to what to use for tie down straping to keep the panniers in place. With Hepko becker they wok just fine and easily hung on, one strap goes in fron of fuel cap and second one nearer to rear portion of fuel tank. I personly often don't worry about ice and just drink the water at what ever temperature it is as I don't care for the shock of the ice water to my internal system. JUST ME!!

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I found a long thread on the ST forum from way back in 2007 - and you said that you were going to purchase an RPCM Cool Vest. I assume that is what you are referring to when you say you commute with one. Since you've used one for six years, what is your long term assessment? Do you use additional packs for longer rides, keeping the spare in a cooler? Did you stay with the "Santa" vest, or try another? Why the Santa vest?
I sold it because not long after they kicked us out of the bldg and we started working from home. Due to the bulk it was just too inconvenient for me to tour with and also have my camping gear. I thought it was great for the work commute though and would have kept it if that was still the scenario. It seemed to work well even when I only used the front packs to cut down on the bulk.

On my last bike, I had room on my handlebars for a cup holder. I would keep a water bottle in that and stay hydrated easily. But, there is no room on the NT's handlebars. Looking at Camelback's cataloge is bewildering - so many choices. Anybody out there with some suggestions?
I go for the most basic version typically.. just need it for water and the 70oz ones are big enough for just enough water but you can just fill half way if the weight is too much. When touring you can strap this to your gear on the passenger seat and get an extension hose so you don't even need to wear it, then a velcro strap near the end will stick to any velcro on your jacket.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___83192

GregO

I do industrial boiler water treatment... in Louisiana... in the Summer. The cooling vests work well... but are a little heavy and bulky at times.
Just dress with vented riding jacket. Or just ride in the early mornings and late evenings or night... Also.. as we all know... 80pct of your bodys' heat is released from your head. Use a well ventilated Brain Bucket.
Hydrate often...

Happy riding Sir

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Comanche, I've got both the Bags Connection Day Pack and their City Bag. I use the City Bag on longer trips because I can stick a thermal coffee mug in it. I think there's been a bit of a change in the Day Pack since I bought mine three years ago. It looks bigger to me. I think it would clear your bags, and you could always mount it so that it's "backwards" like Rick mounts his bag. Then it would definitely clear your bars and if you were going to use it like Rick uses his, it would work fine.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Does anyone have any "real world" experience with the cooling vests in high humidity conditions? I would consider one if I thought they would be effective here in Missouri, but I have my doubts. Even in extreme heat, I am "reasonably" comfortable in my Transitions 3 with all the vents open, but it would be nice to be a tad cooler.

Mike

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Does anyone have any "real world" experience with the cooling vests in high humidity conditions? I would consider one if I thought they would be effective here in Missouri, but I have my doubts. Even in extreme heat, I am "reasonably" comfortable in my Transitions 3 with all the vents open, but it would be nice to be a tad cooler.

Mike
I've ridden the OK/AR/MO areas and like in my previous posts it just turned into a slimy feeling blah... best way I can describe it.

The best thing for me in high humidity is some synthetic shirt material - no cotton - and either mesh or non-mesh jacket w/vents open.. then, I will take a bottle of water and just pour it down the front and back of myself inside my jacket and it works better than the evap cooling vests.

BigRide3_2987-XL.jpg

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Rick:

Thanks for the reply! The jacket that I have does not flow as much air as you might think, even with the vents open. For evaporative cooling to work, "some" airflow must be taking place at all times. I was just wondering how the vests work in areas with high RH. I know that the evap coolers sometimes called "swamp coolers" for cooling cars and work areas work not so good here in Missouri

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Mike, my folks lived in SW Missouri and I used to ride my bicycle there in the 80's. I haven't tried one, but I'm pretty sure an evaporative cooling vest wouldn't do much for you in that humidity.

I'm thinking that some kind of wicking material like the LD Comfort shirts and pants that Rick and I use would be a lot better.

I finally broke down and tried Rick's recommendation of closing vents on my 'Stitch when the temperature gets above 94 or so and have been surprised at how much difference it makes. I leave the wrist vents open but close everything else and regulate airflow by raising and lowering the main zipper on my 'Stitch. It's worked in high humidity in Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas, and in the dry desert heat of Arizona, New Mexico, and west Texas.

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Mike, my folks lived in SW Missouri and I used to ride my bicycle there in the 80's. I haven't tried one, but I'm pretty sure an evaporative cooling vest wouldn't do much for you in that humidity.

I'm thinking that some kind of wicking material like the LD Comfort shirts and pants that Rick and I use would be a lot better.

I finally broke down and tried Rick's recommendation of closing vents on my 'Stitch when the temperature gets above 94 or so and have been surprised at how much difference it makes. I leave the wrist vents open but close everything else and regulate airflow by raising and lowering the main zipper on my 'Stitch. It's worked in high humidity in Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas, and in the dry desert heat of Arizona, New Mexico, and west Texas.
Yeah, that's kinda what I thought. I have a synthetic fabric shirt as Mellow suggested... Cool Max, IIRC, that seems to do a pretty good job in wicking away moisture. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Mike

Bike
Rick,

The Stay cool vest I posted about in #6 is about the thickness of a lined flannel shirt. When it has soaked in a large freezer zip lock bag overnight and you wring the excess water from it it is about 3 times heavier than the LD Comfort long sleeve shirt. It has sleeves that zip off at the shoulders. I didn't think about it last year when I headed east. As previously stated it is quite bulky to pack. I used it under a first gear Killi with lining removed and it worked pretty good in central Oregon. I have not tried it with the stich as I can carry 2 LD coforts long sleeves in less space and we KNOW they work. Maybe this summer I will get to test in with stich , and also possibly with a leather Jacket The last time I used it I was on wing , and pulling a trailer with a large ice chest and I had it 1/2 full of block ice. It wasn't a cheap item, It seems that I gave over $100.00 for it ,and tht it has some sort of chemical in it; similar to that of the neckerchief that you see from time to time.
I got it from a Vender at the BMWOA national rally in Redmond Oregon in 2010.

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I haven't tried one, but I'm pretty sure an evaporative cooling vest wouldn't do much for you in that humidity.
Each May I ride from my home near New Orleans to the far north-western coast of Washington state, by way of Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona and California. In Mid August I ride home, usually by way of Eastern Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and then the "coolest" way home. This roughly 7000 mile trip begins in high humidity and the high 80's and ends in extremely high humidity and the high 90's. In between I encounter desert temps in the 100's although my personal record has been a day at 112-114 (Phoenix to Palm Springs).

I always carry an Ergodyne WorkGear Vest Model #6665 to wear when I am uncomfortably warm in my Teiz suit. I believe I paid around $40, but have seen them for less. It has an outside layer that holds water-somewhat like a disposable diaper--and an inside layer that is water-proof (repellant) so you don't get wet. It gets heavier but no thicker.

I soak the vest and wear it over the extra light-weight wicking long-sleeve shirt I always wear what ever the temperature is. (Patagonia is my favorite band, but I've had good service from Eastern-Mountain-Sport and Columbia). The vest is only 1.1 mm (.04 inch) thick and packs about a small as a rugby shirt.

I wear the vest with the vents of my suit mostly closed, except for the exhaust vents on my back. The vest stays adequately damp for 3-4 hours, and works in both high and low humidity situations. It is not, however, perfect; while I doesn't make me wet, it is clammy; it reminds me of childhood when we had "swamp coolers." But I find it no more uncomfortable than pouring water into my riding suit, and perhaps less so. I rinse it out each evening and store it in a large ziplock bag, and have never had a problem with mildew or mold. It can be machine dried if it won't needed for a few days.

So, in short, it works well in the desert, and handles southern weather well enough to allow a full day's ride in sufficient comfort. Short of a portable air conditioner, that's all one could ask.

I hope my experiences help with you query.

Ken

Last edited:
Bike
Rick,

I think they should send you one to do a EXTREAM HEAT test on did it and it with-stood testing to your satisfaction I am sure that would have much more credibility at least among us here.

Eldon

Bike
I know your not looking for a freeby, but I have a very high opinion of the detailed reports you put into gear etc, and I know y ou wouldn't pull any punches in what you would say in the plus , or negative . .
I also know the hot box you have for a back yard for extreame heat of the dry nature and if you make the loop through Pigeon Forge and elsewhere this spring plus Spearfish you would have a very good spead of experience to base a report on. I agree with the fact tha LDComfort works very satisfactory. I will try and have space to try my cool vest on about th same loop and probably include Florida as well as some of the Carolinas. I will most likely be experimenting with a tailored leather outfit for a good comparison with the stich which I know how it works, buit have not tried the LDComfort under the leather for hot weather much less the humid, so it will be a interesting ride for me, BUT as far as myLDComforts I won't leave home without them regardless!
Eldon

Top Bottom