Cooling Vests

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Rick,
I just read the magazine article three times, and am digesting it now, I think I will go back and read all of the stuff again, I can see some real advantages to it If it will work as they say with no weeping of the water especially, with a leather Jacket. BUT even with it I wouldn't leave home with out the LD Comfort, at least 2 sets!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I ordered one as well. The heat and humidity in Georgia and Tennessee should give them a good test. I hope it works as advertised as I got toasted last summer.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
As usual the service from Twisted Throttle was very fast. I did discover one small issue though...the sizing is definitely European. Per the websites instructions, and video hint, I ordered one size larger than my t-shirt size to allow for "expansion". Even so the vest was too small. So it is on its way back to TT and a new larger one may be in the works...

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
As usual the service from Twisted Throttle was very fast. I did discover one small issue though...the sizing is definitely European. Per the websites instructions, and video hint, I ordered one size larger than my t-shirt size to allow for "expansion". Even so the vest was too small. So it is on its way back to TT and a new larger one may be in the works...
Did you also notice the zipper was on the left side like in womens clothing. Maybe thats also European.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I didn't catch that...but then I couldn't even come close to zipping it. I did notice they are "uni-sex" sized with the Women's size listed under the Men's size on the tag...

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Update and Heads Up: As mentioned above I ended up returning my Macna to Twisted Throttle due to the small than listed sizing. If you are going to order one I advise you to be very careful with their website ordering directions. As of today they still state to "Order your normal t-shirt size". That definitely did not work, at least in my case, so I got to pay shipping to and from TT for something that was not sized as advertised. I'm not happy about that as it wasn't what I expect from Twisted Throttle. I advise you to call them and get the actual measurements for the size you are considering before ordering one....especially if you are on the larger end of the sizing spectrum...:rolleyes1:

Edit and Note: I added this comment here so anyone reading the Cooling Vest thread would see my response here as well as the other thread where it might get lost...

Last edited:
Bike
I got one also, I ordered it through my dealership, the cost to me was $150 and no shipping cost. I tried it on before I paid for it. for me the P.N. 1658050L-XL is a very snug fit, other than that one try on it is residing onmy gear rack awaiting more appropriate weather.
BAGH HUMBUG!!!, we aquirred about 3 inches of that white garbage on the surface areas here over night.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Update and Heads Up: As mentioned above I ended up returning my Macna to Twisted Throttle due to the small than listed sizing. If you are going to order one I advise you to be very careful with their website ordering directions. As of today they still state to "Order your normal t-shirt size". That definitely did not work, at least in my case, so I got to pay shipping to and from TT for something that was not sized as advertised. I'm not happy about that as it wasn't what I expect from Twisted Throttle. I advise you to call them and get the actual measurements for the size you are considering before ordering one....especially if you are on the larger end of the sizing spectrum...
I am seriously thinking of buying one of these. It was 105 on my ride home from Houston yesterday and the "soak your LD Comfort underwear" just didn't last long enough.

Sizing - I wear a size Large t-shirt. Should I buy a L-XL vest or go with the XXL-3XL? I'll be wearing it over my LD shirt.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Doug,

Their website still states to order your t-shirt size and that was totally wrong when I ordered mine. I ordered a 4XL-5XL, one size over my normal loose 3XL size, but the vest was "Euro sized" and was waaaay to small. I would e-mail TT and make them confirm what size will fit you prior to ordering it. This whole deal has left me very unimpressed with Twisted Throttle's customer service.

Bike
HI Doug,

I bought a L-xl & I wear a large t shirt. it is a snug fit and I have not had weather to try it out in yet. I would think that a xxl- 3xl, might be a bit on the loose side, although I would like to see one , or try one if I were to have the opportunity. In a off the shelf sizing I wear a 2 x; Jacket to have room under it for a garbing electric liner . Would it help you if I modeled the vest and sent you a picture?but I warm weather I can use a XL jacket. My stich is a 50S but has 2 or 2 1/2 inches shortened in the sleeves. this leaves me room for cool vest, or gerbing electric liner in it.

I just pulled mine out of its box the size tag in the vest is XL-XXL.

Eldon

Last edited:
Bike
Wayne,

I am probably one of few here that will agree with you regarding twisted throttle service. I DO NOT oreder anything direct from them. I order their products through my local dealership and so far their items come there and I save some money on them and no freight bill to boot. Yo may remember I had a major issur when my denalie lights were ordered! one section of wiren not in package, and service manager calle d them while I was standing at his desk and they told him they had one in stock and would ship next day. It didn't show up in the time frame it should have , he recalled and they told him that some one came in and the item got sold!! I had to wait until they got another in from Korea. I posted my coments at that time and most everbody disagreed with me and my coments. I really wish that someone else would start handleing the same line of products as TT. That might get them to straighten out the way they do business. If I owned that operation and o=my employees had have pulled that stun the person/ persons res[ponsible would have been looking for a new job right then and there!

Bike
Doug,
I just took pictures and have sent them to my desktop. as soon as they come to it I will forward them to you.

Eldon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Doug, I'm not sure that the cooling vest will work very well in the high humidity of the Gulf Coast. They work fairly well out here where our humidity is 10-30%, but my memories of working in the oil field along the Gulf Coast from Morgan City, LA, to Brownsville, TX, are that not much of anything worked when it got that hot. I probably drank 3-4 gallons of water on days when I was working on drilling rigs along the Gulf Coast. Gatorade hadn't been invented yet, and I would occasionally supplement my water with salt tablets. Acclimatization was the single biggest factor in being able to work in the heat down there. Good luck!

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Doug, I'm not sure that the cooling vest will work very well in the high humidity of the Gulf Coast. They work fairly well out here where our humidity is 10-30%, but my memories of working in the oil field along the Gulf Coast from Morgan City, LA, to Brownsville, TX, are that not much of anything worked when it got that hot. I probably drank 3-4 gallons of water on days when I was working on drilling rigs along the Gulf Coast. Gatorade hadn't been invented yet, and I would occasionally supplement my water with salt tablets. Acclimatization was the single biggest factor in being able to work in the heat down there. Good luck!
Well, if I haven't acclimatized by age 70, I doubt if I ever will. :p I've lived in Miami, coastal Georgia, Vietnam and here in deep south Texas (and sundry other places), and I never have been able to get used to humidity. The only place I lived with low humidity was Albuquerque - and I miss that place!!

I've been following the good advice found on this forum. I'm now wearing LD Comfort underwear on long trips - and tried to soak the shirt yesterday during my ride home from Houston. The last two hours were in 105 degree heat. The soaked LD idea worked okay, but just didn't last long. Yes - I wear a mesh jacket, and that reduces both the effectiveness and the duration of the cooling, but the budget isn't ready for another jacket just yet.

I also bought (at your advice) a Bags Connection tank bag, and kept two bottles of water in it: one for drinking and the other for drenching my shirt - just like Rick advised. I kept well hydrated.

Bottom line was that I didn't pee orange when I got home.

I think the soaked LD worked okay, so I'll try the Macna vest to see if it works a bit better - and longer. You are correct in that the vest won't work as well in the high humidity as it will in the desert, but the constant air blowing over the body while cruising at 75 mph should enhance the evaporation somewhat.

Once way to find out, eh?

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Good luck! I have to say that I don't miss the humidity of the Gulf Coast.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Wow! The high today was 58F.

That is five eight, not 85F.

Chris
Yeah - this is a hot place. Most people don't know that McAllen is actually south of Miami. That's why our prime riding season is the reverse of everyone else's - the best time of year to ride is winter. But wait - its not even hot yet - the average high this time of year is 87 - in early August, the average is 97. You folks buy heated riding gear and we buy cooling riding gear.

Rain? What's that? We average 22 inches a year. I've been reading your postings about rain in Seattle. Folks around here would feel like they were living in a bath tub with that much rain.

It is what it is, eh?

Top Bottom