Jetboil Sumo 1.8 L cooking system discount

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I think this is a mistake....

$139 for the whole system is around $50 cheaper than anywhere else on the net....

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___87423

I got the SOL .8 L aluminum version of the system as an early Christmas present and was looking at possible accessories when I saw this...

... anyway, if this is a mistake and you're looking for one of these it may be worth a try. The Orange is aluminum and this price would be right for that but NOT the titanium version and it's not about the color of the cozy part, they only come in alum (orange cozy)/titanium(silver cozy).

The Flash is the same capacity but original-ish design for $80 so about $20 better than most places

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___87281

The ZIP is like the SOL but original-ish burner design and same .8L capacity - $65 for those

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___68016

Pretty nice prices for those systems.

Bike
2011 Black NT700
A nice price but, do some further searching. I saw it for $119 and $129.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
A nice price but, do some further searching. I saw it for $119 and $129.
Thanks again.
For the titanium? I haven't see that.. for the aluminum, yes..

Also, make sure that's the whole system, not just the companion cup (minus stove)

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Lots of options out there. I have an MSR stove that I have been using on / off the last few years and it's worked well.

I got the SOL and decided to do a head-to-head test... well, they both would boil the same amount of water in about the same time, the jetboil was maybe 10 seconds faster... BUT, I weighed the two canisters I used and the jetboil used about half the amount of gas. Around 9 grams for the MSR and almost 5 for the jetboil.

There's definitely lots of cheaper options out there and these are at the top of the price range for sure but they are nice. If mine wasn't a gift I never would have gotten one but now that I've tried it out, I would have... always have heard of great comments from members at ST-Owners that loved them but I just never bit the bullet.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Joe,

Have you used any of the alcohol based setups?

I bought this one, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.
http://www.rei.com/product/657906/trangia-mini-trangia-28-t-backpacking-stove?s_kwcid=sRzHhYy2X_dc|pcrid|34213352285|pkw|trangia|pmt|p|google|main&gclid=CJPls7z7xrsCFYhcMgoduS0Aew

Phil can verify the alcohol fuel is not lethal in small doses! ;)
I've seen many version of those... I don't care for the danger of messing with liquid fuel myself (as well as Phil-digestion) and they do take a lot longer to boil water. Just a preference.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have bought stuff from campmor before. I think they are a good company to support. That is a tempting price, but I already have a propane stove and the trangia above. For as little as I have used the other stove I probably shouldn't buy another. :)

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Basically, it's more efficient.

There is what they call a flux ring build into the bottom of the pot. That helps capture as much heat energy and transfer it to the pot itself for heating up the water inside.

We're talking backpacking gear here so in that segment, they put a lot of importance on weight savings. They don't have a motorcycle, they're using their legs.. LOL.. so that's the name of the game for them and I'm sure that drives up the price.

The Flash version of this is around $80 and gives you the same stuff the Titianium version does...

The great feature of this is it includes a canister stabilizer, stove, Pot and even a measuring cup/bowl... This is not JUST a stove, it's a system. The .8 L versions will store a 100g canister inside and the 1 L versions will store the 230g canisters. When packed up, it's all in one nice package. I would say the jetboil systme is close to twice as efficient as the traditional backpacking stoves. So, only one canister and you get maybe 20 cycles of boiling water and maybe more if it doesn't have to be boiling hot... so less to bring.

CommuterNT

Chris, like many things you often pay extra for extra features and its up to the consumer to decide if the "bells and whistles" are worth the price. I have a style of stove that is similar to one you pictured but its made out of titanium. Less weight was the premium that I paid for. I also have a Biolite stove than burns biomass like sticks which I love a lot. I think Mellow described it best with his comparison. It all depends on what and how much you plan on using it for. For someone who doesn't use one very often then a cheaper one may serve you better.

Kyle

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Well, darn Chris, why don't ya just build a fire rubbing sticks together like Survivorman, that wouldn't cost ya anything? LOL Of course if I did that, I'd starve to death.

Hey, if it works and you see no reason to change, then don't. I see a lot of folks with the pump stoves and I just don't care for the liquid fuel and how messy and potentially dangerous that can be. But, it is the best in very high altitudes.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
LOL. Great stuff here.

First, that deal is a good one.

I used to use what we called a "tankers" stove, cause it was issued to armored vehicle crews. Coleman made them and they would actually run on diesel, if it was warm enough and if you held your mouth just right and it was cleaned after use :D Ran much better on gasoline, but, that was a bit dicey. I had a commercial one that I got from an even older gent and his wife at a garage sale. They used it when they traveled across the US on a surplus Harley after WWII. I still have it cause it is cool. It would boil water faster than a full size camp stove. I don't use it anymore cause it runs on white gas and takes up a lot of room. I don't mind using white gas, it is just a PITA to carry on a bike.

What did I do? The cheap route. MSR Rocket. Tiny. It fits inside my travel coffee cup. I got a steel cup that was the right size to hold the fuel cans. Kind of a poor mans jetboil kit. Less than $50 for the two cups, fuel cans and stove. Not as stable as the jetboil and not very good in wind unless you shield it somehow.

My brother has a jetboil and it is nice. If I was going to use the thing more than a couple times a year I'd get one too. Really stable system the way the container fits on the stove and it works in wind really well. And, if you get the Aluminum version it really doesn't cost that much more than my cheap setup cost (once you include cost of utensils). And, yes, it uses about half the fuel as my MSR to do the same job.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I have the aluminum Jetboil and love the efficiency. At least all those heat exchange baffles make me believe that it's efficient and now Mellow has some data in support.

In addition to motorcycle camping, I use it on our sailboat. It's way more efficient than our alcohol stove for boiling water. They are a bit tricky when adjusting the heat down to low.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I tried the two sticks method, but never got it to work. Quartz and steel worked though. :) Harbor Freight has a Magnesium Fire Starter for $2.49, if you're so inclined. Reviews are good. :) Get a small coffee can, and you have your own homemade system. :rofl1:
I have one of those!!!.. I ditched the chain and striker though, just use a knife since I always have one of those.. :eek1:

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
While I love fires, both larger campfires and smaller cook fires, and used them for many, many years, I never use them anymore. Too much of a problem with forest fires. Yeah, yeah, you can say how careful you are and how you always put it out, how your setup is safe, etc, etc. But, all it takes is a gust of wind at the wrong time, with an ember hitting in the wrong spot, and you'll have a wild fire you can't contain. Just not worth it to me anymore.

I still remember the day when I was almost the cause of a forest fire. Carefully set up campground, cleared area, low wind, etc, etc. Had the fire going and cooking lunch. A gust of wind came up. Some embers flew off and landed about 50 ft away. Instantly lit up the grass. If it weren't for seeing it start and 5 of us running to put it out we would have burned hundreds, if not thousands of acres. As it was we almost lost control of it. And we were on the shore of a lake with water available to help.

Yeah, if it is a matter of survival I can start a fire in almost any condition, but, until that case happens I'll stick with stoves.

Top Bottom