Tiger 800 XC Experiance?

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Hi All! A good friend of mine has found a great deal on a Tiger 800 XC in my home town and wants to fly me there to pick it up and drive it home. It is about a 1200 mile drive and I wonder if anyone has any long haul experiance on one of these. I was fine on my NT with stock seat for this ride in both directions a few years ago so I do not require plush seat upgrades and alike. How bad would it be for a small passenger? 5 feet tall 115 pounds? This would be a great oportunity for my wife and I to visit family and spend some time at "home", and have a little adventure ride home, but if this bike would be really uncomfortable I may not be up for it. The back seat looks a little small and the owner says he is going ot get a gell seat pad for it, but is that enough?
Thanks for any input!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Hi Rocky,

I haven't rode one, just sat on one at the dealership. I have been enjoying my DR so much that I frequently have thoughts of picking up more streetable Dual Sport for longer asphalt trips. So I have been looking at the new vstrom 650, Super Tenere, and the tiger 800XC. Still trying to figure out which one I want the most.

Here is a good thread you might be interested in: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827146

Most owners state they would buy it again if needed. I hear the triple is a fantastic engine.

www.advrider.com is a great website for dual sport stuff. Lots of posts to wade through though.

OP
OP
Rocky
Bike
Sam, I will not be doing the ride untill spring allows me to. It is in the Midwest but do not want it sold out from under my buddy so location will remain a secret! I am looking forward to the chance to ride it, I just have no adventure bike experiance for the long haul.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Worst case scenario, you find out the seat is awful, the ergos stink and it is a total PITA to ride...:eek1: Easy solution; stop at any U-Haul, rent a small truck / conversion box van, load the bike and finish the drive home.... You still get a nice mini-vacation and a chance to try out the bike! ;) I'd roll the dice on that deal...:D

tawilke46

I read a personal review of the Tiger on either the Stromtrooper or MSTA forum. The individual took the Triumph back to the dealer saying the engine radiated too much heat.:flame: Can't remember where he lived, but in your case Rocky, being in Colorado that might be a plus. Comments on the review were pretty much any bike with an exposed engine is going to be hot, especially while stopped in the heat of the summer. Nothing unexpected or unusual about that.

OP
OP
Rocky
Bike
Yeah Tim, My air cooled Turbo Kawasaki makes a little heat too, and some days that feels great, and I have never found it an irritation. I will not be going during a real hot time of year in a real hot climate so the heat should not be an issue. Thanks for the info!

Bike
Bonneville T120
I test rode one about 16 months ago. I liked it quite a bit and was thinking about trading my NT for it at the time. The lack of a significant fairing made up my mind against the trade. But it was a great bike, great ride. It would be easy to do the trip.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Less wind protection will be the most significant difference, I'd wager. Especially if it's a stock bike. The Tiger 800XC got Adv bike of the year somewhere a couple years ago. My guess is you'll like the engine a lot, but for highway miles, will miss the NT's fairing.

Top Bottom