Exped Synmat

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
To Mellow, or anyone else that uses this -

I've been adding to my camping gear a bit and I bought the medium wide Synmat 7.5 with the integrated pump.
I love my 3" thermarest, but it takes up my entire TT dry spec bag (the smaller one). The synmat packs to 1/3 the size.

But upon taking it out and trying it - WOW it takes me forever to inflate the thing. Like 120-140 pumps. Has anyone come up with a solid way of inflating? Maybe I'm not positioning my hand to cover the intake hole well enough so each pump is maybe losing some out of that rather than going into the mat. I feel like if I could attach an external foot pump or something it would be a lot easier but I don't think that's an option

It's clearly a well made product and it's definitely warm (actually feels warmer than my thermarest that has a higher R value). But I guess I need to practice better at inflating it cause what a pain that is. Looking for any pointers/recommendations!

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I have an exped 7.5 that I have to blow up myself...only takes a few breaths. Cant remember how many
I know in a demo I saw, a guy blew his up in 11 breaths

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
It does take a few pushes to air it up.

However, you can go to walmart and most of the pumps out will fit the opening where you put your palm over and you can air it up assuming you have the pump plugged into your bike somehow.

And, of course, lung power is the final resort.

OP
OP
Rob

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Red Nigel - so do you not use the integrated hand pump inside of the mat and just use lung power instead because it's faster?

The integrated hand pump is a neat idea, but it just doesn't move much air per press. I may look into a separate pump that will fit. This mat was not designed to be inflated by mouth, but I guess you could.

I don't like lung power for air mattresses because when your breath cools, it condenses and shrinks and the mattress loses air during the night. Plus the condensation leaves moisture inside the mat which can lead to mold and whatnot. Although I guess just leaving it semi-inflated with the valves open when you get home would be enough to dry it out fully.

OP
OP
Rob

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Ah, thanks for that Kathy. Looks like, with an additional adapter, that too works with the expeds with the integrated pump. Will have to keep that in mind.

Rob, I too have the Exped 7 mattress and love it. Mellow was the one that steered me towards it. Watch the instructional video on how to pump it up on the Exped web site. It probably takes me a minute or so but you get use to the time it takes. I'm downsizing all my camping equipment and I appreciate not having to carry an extra pump with me. In fact, i just purchased a Ozark Trail Jr scout dome tent (5X6) for $20 that packs very small and weighs 2 1/2 lbs. I have to sleep in it diagonal but it is for my hike down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon in September. I'm taking the tent and the Exped but no sleeping bag but with the Exped I will be comfortable. Wendell

Bike
Black 2006 NT700V
I needed the adaptor for our Downmats (they are about 4 years old and have inbuilt pumps) but I know the adaptor isn't required for the current model Downmats (also with inbuilt pumps).

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Right now I use lung power. But, have been looking for the pump bag instead. I like that idea. My old military air mattress takes quite a bit of air :)

Top Bottom