Need some help on auxiliary switch box ideas

CommuterNT

I need some help with ideas for some sort of switch box or series of switches to control extra lights and equipment. I've seen the Show Chrome master cylinder 3 switch box which is close but I want it on the left side so I can control them with minimal hand movement or even just thumb movement. I can't seem to find anything that is clean looking and waterproof. I would even be willing to build some sort of box ifi could find the right parts and figure out a good spot to mount it.

I'm looking for anybody who has done something like this or any suggestions. Also I don't have any machining abilities so it has to be prefab or minor adjustments.

This would be the closest set up that I've found but I can't find a place that just sells the switches.

260-A9638058.jpg

Thanks Kyle

OP
OP

CommuterNT

I've seen those and they are really close but I'm not totally in love with them. One for the price and two I wouldn't mind the switches to be lighted. Thanks for the suggestion I may have to go with something like that in the end.

OP
OP

CommuterNT

Twisted Throttle sells a waterproof switch for the Denali lights that you can buy separately. So the answer is to buy the vertical post, or one of the others, and the switch. I just decided to order their vertical post myself. I was going to make one out of the aluminum I have, but decided to just use theirs. I ordered a waterproof switch with my LED lights already.

Chris
Chris, did you order the teardrop shaped switch or the rectangular one that looks like it goes over the bar? The teardrop one is the type I'm looking for but can't find it on their site or anywhere else on the Web.

OP
OP

CommuterNT

Another question for any electrical wiz's out there. I've seen lots of after market headlight, turn, horn mounts and some of them are fairly small. Could you wire one of those up and just use the switches as on off switches with the turn signal switch being two switches depending on if us use left or right and the horn as a momentary switch? Any complications I may run into?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Could you wire one of those up and just use the switches as on off switches with the turn signal switch being two switches depending on if us use left or right and the horn as a momentary switch?
Yes, at least for the turn signals, but it will be ugly...and a kludge most likely. All the existing wiring for the turn signals is one harness with a connector made to go to the existing L- C -R Turn Signal switch. You could split that wiring to individual left and right switches Turn Signal switches but you will also need a ground for both sides and you will probably lose your "Push To Cancel" capability the existing switch offers. The Push To Cancel feature may be hard to find outside of a BMW or Harley Turn signal switches designed to be one side only and located on opposite grips... For the horn you would need a momentary switch instead of the turn switch you would need for each turn signal. What are you trying to accomplish?

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yes. But I haven't seen any that were really small. Most are about 1 1/2 to 2" wide. That's a lot of real estate on a handlebar. If they get much smaller the buttons are hard to hit with gloves on. They are only "cheap" if you get some from a junk yard.

I am going the opposite direction on the goose this summer. Minimalist wiring. Getting rid of some switching instead of adding. I will keep some of what is on the left side switchgear and only the starter switch on the right. Change most of the stuff on the bike to come on with the ignition switch. Will also move the ignition switch to under the seat.

OP
OP

CommuterNT

I want to install some amber strobe lights for the rear and possible the front. I'm looking to use them as hazard lights when needed. I know I could use the existing turn lights and wire them up but I want more visual punch.

This is the closest thing I've found that is compact enough to justify. Other than this I might need to customize some sort of switch box. Oh, and the other criteria is it has to be very accessible to my left thumb. $T2eC16FHJHYFFkNipzgSBR6EQy)s8w~~60_12.JPG

YKnot

So, the PMR Barswitch came in today...

I made a rookie mistake. I assumed that the switch assembly was enclosed and water resistant.

Instead, the rear of the switches are exposed to the elements, and the switches themselves need to be weather-proofed. This isn't a deal breaker. I just assumed these were made the same way that I would have made them. I still like the looks of it, and I prefer this to the typical peel-and-stick attachment of many other switches (Denali). I will proceed with setting it up, and show you guys pictures of how it looks in a new thread.

Cheers!
-mark

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I had forgotten that...sorry.:redface: PMR is big in the drag race bike crowd and you don't race on a wet track...more than once. I used some silicon and heat shrink on the back of the switch and my wiring and didn't have any problems. I will be using PMR again when I add some additional lighting to my FJ1200...

YKnot

I had forgotten that...sorry.:redface: PMR is big in the drag race bike crowd and you don't race on a wet track...more than once. I used some silicon and heat shrink on the back of the switch and my wiring and didn't have any problems. I will be using PMR again when I add some additional lighting to my FJ1200...
I did the same as far as the heat shrink, but I haven't sealed it with any silicone or the likes quite yet. I will be putting all the tupperware back on tomorrow. That way I can ride it into work on Monday. I will say that the PMR switch looks really nice, and the positioning is perfect for me. I have my DRL/fog lights on one switch, my accessory power on another, and I will be putting my low beam on the final one (this will be for a projector lens and HID upgrade later).

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
My problem with switches and water has been around the button. Only way I have found to solve that is to buy water proof switches.

YKnot

My problem with switches and water has been around the button. Only way I have found to solve that is to buy water proof switches.
Which switches are you using? The PMR switches are definitely not water proof/resistant.

I am mostly a fair-weather rider, but I won't stop because of a little rain. I would hate for my newly installed fog/DRL lights to short out when I need them most. Worked fine yesterday coming into the office in the rain and fog.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
The only one I have right now is a largish toggle that I got from my electrical supply house. I have been looking at what I want when I rewire the bike. Several choices, but, I am undecided about what I want switches for.

I will have to make up my mind before long cause I will be replacing the right hand switch gear on the Guzzi. Not sure if I want to have just a starter button or if I want a kill switch too.

Top Bottom