[Review] Hyper optiks visor insert review

I purchased the Hyper Optiks light reflective anti-fog visor insert and also their SpeedTint at the Motorcycle show here in Orlando several months back. they had a show special so I think I paid $25 for both. It was the best $25 I have ever spent. I love the SpeedTint from the get go as it effectively blocks 97% of the sun so your eye balls don't get burned heading west into a setting sun. The visor insert just darkened a small amount in the sun but it was just right for me. However, it's main purpose was anti-fog but I haven't been in any conditions that would cause fog to form - until today. A cold front came through and the temp went down to 53 with a strong rain. Perfect conditions to test my insert - and it passed with flying colors. The part that wasn't covered by the insert fogged up but the insert stayed clear. Always before, I would have to crack my face shield to be able to see but then of course, I got wet. I've tried different anti-fog liquids but nothing worked until this visor insert. I spent $400 for my Shark Evoline 3 and I really like it but this $25 has made it perfect. Here is the web site:

http://invisionvisorinserts.com/?product=hyperoptiks

Last edited:

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Hmm those look interesting, I'm intrigued by the light-attenuating one. My N90 is due for a new shield, and while the pinlock inserts work pretty well - I messed mine up by taking it out and cleaning it once. I did more damage than good because it never worked the same since (I probably created micro scratches). I might try a new shield + one of these hyper optics.

If I am riding into bright sun, the internal sun visor of the N90 is not enough. But I don't really want to buy a tinted shield. But one that can dynamically adjust might be worth a try. Or even just the SpeedTint would be of help in this regard.

Thanks for sharing!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Hmm those look interesting, I'm intrigued by the light-attenuating one. My N90 is due for a new shield, and while the pinlock inserts work pretty well - I messed mine up by taking it out and cleaning it once. I did more damage than good because it never worked the same since (I probably created micro scratches). I might try a new shield + one of these hyper optics.QUOTE]

You have to clean the pin lock shield very carefully. They are a soft plastic that work by absorbing moisture. You do not want to use spray cleaners or polish like Plexus on them. Warm water and mild detergent is it and then let it air dry.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
don't have it, but from what I'm reading, it is not light reactive. It's simply strip of window tinting cut to fit the inside of a helmet visor. It is not opague, but will allow you to see through the tinted portion, and block some of the sun glare when the sun is low on the horizon that you're riding toward.

I used tape on mine to accomplish something of the same thing. I have some roads I have to ride on that are aligned with the sun during the summer. As the sun sets, the sun is directly over the road.
So its only useful at sunset?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Clay, it's the Speedtint insert that only as the dark strip along the top. For $9.95, a piece of electrician's tape would work as well.

The Hyper Optiks insert and the Hyper Shield insert ($29.95 each) have a gasket which creates a dead-air space between the outer shield and the insert that prevents fogging. The Hyper Optiks insert is made of a photochromic material that reacts to light. I've been wearing Transitions lenses on my glasses since the early 70s that are made of the same kind of stuff. The light (presumably the UV in the light) causes crystals in the glass or plastic material to realign itself so that the lenses become darker.

When I first started wearing the Transitions lenses in the 70s, they could only be made in glass, when they started making the lenses in plastic the weight of my tri-focal lenses went down a bunch. They probably don't get quite as dark as purpose-built sunglasses, but they've worked for me sailing, cross-country skiing, hunting, bicycling, and motorcycling. I carry a spare pair of glasses in case of loss or damage to the ones I'm wearing, but the spare has Transitions lenses, too.

I'll be trying one of the Hyper Optiks inserts. The Pinlock that came with my Schuberth helmet has gotten to the point where I can't get the pins adjusted right to keep it in place when I open the chin bar, so every time I open or close the chin bar, I have to open the shield and push the Pinlock back up with my thumb. Even then, it doesn't work quite as well as it did when new.

Bike
11VStrom650 & 16Tiger800
Phil,
Thanks for the info and explanation. Just one of the many reasons why I like this forum. Was thinking about ordering one of the optiks and now when I find out for sure will work on HJC modular, I'll be ordering 2 (me and hubby). Again, thanks.

Wanda P.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Clay, it's the Speedtint insert that only as the dark strip along the top. For $9.95, a piece of electrician's tape would work as well.
I understand how the blue pinlock thingy works
I was asking what benefit do you get from that dark strip or a piece of black tape?

Bike
2010 Red NT700
When you're driving along in your car with the sun in your eyes, what do you do?
Alrighty then!
I totally get that
I am going to try the blue thing but not until my next helmet
I have 4 different shields right now and I am not buying any more farkles for this helmet
I have clear, dark smoke, amber and blue iridium

OP
OP
wphillips007
Guys and Gals your explanations are right on. I also had a strip of black electricians tape across the top of my visor but it was always a bit cockeyed and totally opaque as Chris mentioned. The great advantage of the SpeedTint is that it is cut to fit the curvature of the visor so it is positioned correctly and looks professional (if anybody cares about looks)! More than that you can see through it enough that when stopped at a stop light you can see through it to tell when it turns green, etc. You really can use your whole face shield all the way up to the top for vision so the SpeedTint serves the purpose of a car visor only better IMHO. The SpeedTint goes on the face shield first then the anti-fog visor insert goes over it as you position the insert correctly on your face shield. The visor insert darkens some but not a whole lot - but I find that it causes my eyes to relax - it's like an Ah Ha moment. I still use my internal sun shield on occasion depending on the sun, etc. For me at least, it completely changed my enjoyment of my helmet. Before I often road with my face shield open but I always ride with it closed now. Wendell

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX

The Hyper Optiks insert and the Hyper Shield insert ($29.95 each) have a gasket which creates a dead-air space between the outer shield and the insert that prevents fogging. The Hyper Optiks insert is made of a photochromic material that reacts to light. I've been wearing Transitions lenses on my glasses since the early 70s that are made of the same kind of stuff. The light (presumably the UV in the light) causes crystals in the glass or plastic material to realign itself so that the lenses become darker.

When I first started wearing the Transitions lenses in the 70s, they could only be made in glass, when they started making the lenses in plastic the weight of my tri-focal lenses went down a bunch. They probably don't get quite as dark as purpose-built sunglasses, but they've worked for me sailing, cross-country skiing, hunting, bicycling, and motorcycling. I carry a spare pair of glasses in case of loss or damage to the ones I'm wearing, but the spare has Transitions lenses, too.

I'll be trying one of the Hyper Optiks inserts. The Pinlock that came with my Schuberth helmet has gotten to the point where I can't get the pins adjusted right to keep it in place when I open the chin bar, so every time I open or close the chin bar, I have to open the shield and push the Pinlock back up with my thumb. Even then, it doesn't work quite as well as it did when new.
Phil, I have Transitions lenses in my glasses as well. They do not work however behind my car windshield or the face shield on my Neotec. Its my understanding that your cars windshield and the face shield on most helmets block the UV rays that are necessary to make the change in the Transition lense. If this is the case its makes me wonder what causes the Hyper Optiks insert to change. It must be something other than UV.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
when I find out for sure will work on HJC modular, I'll be ordering 2 (me and hubby). Again, thanks.
They say in their FAQs that the Hyper Optik will work with 99% of the helmets made. I can't see any reason it won't work on your HJC or my Schuberth. They've got a cutout to go around the pins if you've got a Pinlock insert. If you don't, it won't be any problem (I don't think!).

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I understand how the blue pinlock thingy works
I was asking what benefit do you get from that dark strip or a piece of black tape?
I thought you were asking about the dark strip. I see that you understand what it does after reading Daboo's post.

Warren said:
They do not work however behind my car windshield or the face shield on my Neotec. Its my understanding that your cars windshield and the face shield on most helmets block the UV rays that are necessary to make the change in the Transition lense. If this is the case its makes me wonder what causes the Hyper Optiks insert to change. It must be something other than UV.
I hadn't thought about that, but you're right. My Transitions don't work in the car or in my helmet as well as they do outside. Maybe the Hyper Optik workks on brightness alone. Still seems like it has to be some sorta' photochromatic response.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I was wrong. I'm going to need a pinlock to get me to Vegas and back and so I can start commuting on the NT
Now to decide if I want one of these turquoise jobbies to put on a clear shield or a clear one to put on a tinted shield
Depends on how good a shape my clear shield is in

Bike
Silver NT700V
I got the Pinlock insert for my new Arai Vector and really like it. It prevents 99% + of fogging which I can get on cold morning commutes here in SE TX. I had taped the top portion of the visor on my old Arai Vector. I liked the tape, it acted like the sun visor in a car. I will likely tape the new one this spring.

I tried ordering transitions lenses the last time I got glasses. We tried a sample of the material behind the Vector shield but it, the lens material, would not change color. I think that particular shield has UV protection.

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
I notice the instructions say this product is not recommended for use at night due to an increase in back glare. Any experience with that yet?

OP
OP
wphillips007
Pick, I ride constantly at night and have noticed no problems whatsoever. They lose all of their tinting at night so they are clear. In direct sun, they do turn a distinct shade of blue. I find it very relaxing on the eyes. As you can tell, I'm a believer. Wendell

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I just ordered one that will get here in time for my trip to Vegas. I'll have time to give it a good 3500 mile test

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I'm really ticked at these folks
I ordered my hyper optik over the weekend and it looks like it wont get here in time for my trip
If it isn't here by tomorrow I will just have to do without

Bike
Silver NT700V
Reminds me that I still need to "tape" my new helmet. I did the old one and liked the way it worked. Yes, the electric tape is totally opaque, but so is a cer's visor. I didn't loose THAT much of the viewing port.

On anther note, I experimented with Transitions lens material at my optician last time i got glasses. It worked perfectly outside and I liked it. Then I thought to do a test inside my Arai Vector. the lens material barely changed color. The clear visor is blocking most UV which triggers the transition. I stayed with seperate sunglasses.

Top Bottom