Yamaha 3 Cylinder Sport Touring Bike

Bike
Honda NT700V
but not as bad as the CRF250L.
Yeah, the CRF seat isn't great. Seat Concepts sells a foam/cover kit that improves it. If you haven't done anything about the stock seat, that would be an improvement to consider. I've put their kits on both my CRF and Versys. Their standard foam is for riders who weigh 160 lbs or more. That's right about where I am, so I chose their softer foam for the CRF seat and believe it was a good choice. If you're an ADVrider forum member, you can probably find a discount code in the vendors section.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Thanks George, I appreciate the thoughts. I fixed it last June right after I returned home fro Dayton Ohio. I rode it into Russell and it is super good now! A lot of folks say Russell won't work for a off road / dualsport, but I had one on my KLR 650 and now on the CRF. for me it is fine, now if I were a hard core serious dual sporter, or spen 80 or more % of my time in the woods I might think differently, but my off road days are not much more than an occasional fire road ot decent two track. The NT with a decent set of knobby would do fine for a majority of my use, but just too much weight for me to deal with if the going gets a little rough.

Eldon

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I think this bike is really too good for the money to be ignored and dismissed if one is looking at a BMW 700 GS/V-Strom/ Triumph Tiger class bike. And the 2015s are now dirt cheep. Pleanty of options available but there is an issue with the cam chain tensioner that IMHO Yamaha should have just issued a general recall for and fixed. On the older ones, 2016 and older, there isnt enough oil pressure to work the cam chain tensioner.
https://fj-09.org/thread/3832/bulletin-m2016-chain-tensioner-noise

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The F800GT like you and Frostie have is a bike that appeals to me, Chris, but, since I broke my hand, the clutch on the F800 requires way too much effort for me to be able to ride it in traffic like i had coming home from the eclipse party in Nebraska. That's one of my favorite things about our NT -- that light, low-effort clutch.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My comments were only about the FJ-09 in reference to Coyote Chris' post.
I understood that, Chris. My comments were about the F800GT, the only other "sports-touring" bike that appeals to me.

Top Bottom