Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LD Riders not wanted

My Gallery

Re: LD Riders not wanted

Took the words right out of my mouth....I still love my C10 but I am still very careful in parking lots, especially when it is loaded for touring....when I got my NT, it was wonderful! But I am still careful at slow speeds....
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Tarman View Post
    The NT may be a bit top-heavy. My previous point of reference was a '99 Kawasaki Concours. The NT is positively dainty compared to the C10.

› Site Search for: LD Riders not wanted
    2010 NT700v, "Spanish Dancer" 2003 Kawasaki C10, "La Patrona"

My Gallery

Since I bought my first bike, that old '83 Silverwing, I've used my bikes as commuters (even though my commute wasn't very long until this year). I always got better mileage on my sport-touring Concours and my sport-touring NT700V than most of the cars around me. I had room to carry books, my computer, clothes...almost anything I wanted or needed to carry.

I have also managed to get at least one long trip in every year since the year Joanne and I got married ('99). While I had the two Concours, those rides were usually to the Concours Owners Group National Rallies. I rode to Brian Head, UT; Mountain Home, AR; Klamath Falls, OR; Missoula, MT; Montrose, CO; Prince George, BC, and Hyder, AK; Centralia, WA; Canaan Valley State Park, WV; Fontana Village, NC; Hill City, SD; Tomah, WI; and then back to Hill City, and to Spearfish on my NT. And then, there was the Epic Ride last year.

I had four weeks of vacation each year, which is more than most people get. Joanne had two weeks for the first six years we were married, but since then she's had three. She likes to go visit her sisters in Wichita who both have health issues. We usually have spent a week of vacation time together each year, but she loves to have me get out of town. I consider myself a long distance rider, but most of my days average around 400 miles when I'm on a long trip. Sometimes I'll pop a 6-800 mile ride in, but those Iron Butt Rides aren't for traveling. They are for earning a certificated of completion for one of the IBA certificated rides.

If I wasn't so gimpy, there would be more sport-touring bikes I'd consider, including the Triumph Trophy like Dan rides, or the FJR (especially the new ones that have a cruise control), and I might consider the Ninja 1000, even though it's got a chain.

But I'm still pulling for someone to come out with another mid-sized sport-tourer. It feels to me as if Yamaha might be the most likely, given their copyright of the FJ900 (or was it FJR900?) (or was it both?).

I enjoy the slab but not for day after day. I also enjoy two-lane backroads, especially in the western states and across the Great Plains. Especially Nebraska and Kansas. (Jim, I like 'em both if I'm not on I-70 or I-80.)

This doesn't have to turn into one of those deals where we quibble about what of riders we are or try to assign higher degrees of merit to some when we compare them with others.

If you ride, you're my sister or brother. Whether you appreciate what I choose to do and the bike I choose to do it on or not.
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 95,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

(Threadstarter)

My Gallery

If you ride, you're my sister or brother. Whether you appreciate what I choose to do and the bike I choose to do it on or not.

This thread has gotten very interesting, and was taken waaay more serious than it was meant to be. I have been riding an average of one day a week this entire winter and it has me climbing the walls. On another more opinionated forum, during the winter months, long treads go on and on about the best oil, car tires on motorcycles, the best touring bike, the best auxiliary lights, tires, gps(s), riding gear and a host of other themes. In fun I thought I would throw out a bunch of presumptions, stereo types, and other controversial statements in jest, to show the fruitlessness of anyone trying to define motorcycle reality by their likes or dislikes. It has occur to me, however, that no one here knows me or my style of humor, so I apologize if anyone was offended. I have my own likes and dislikes on various motorcycle themes, but they are just that and I rarely ever stated them. My general feeling is reflected in "Phil's" highlighted statement. I wave at everyone on a bike/scoot when riding. Umm except during Bike Week going down I-95.
    Jerome - Philadelphia, PA
    IBA # 32785
    NT700V 2010 - Red, ~ 32,000 miles, Yamaha Majesty 43k

My Gallery

You guys are really getting into it, just take what you got and go for a ride.
    Roy Cope

All Bikes

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by mungojerry View Post
    ...about the best oil, car tires on motorcycles...
    Now that you've brought it up...what is the best oil???

And can you go to the darkside on a NT?

Chris
    Ebenezer - 2011 Honda NT700V
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    Who said you aren't already on the "Dark Side" on a NT?
    Wayne

AMA Life Member
    H.O.G.

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    Now that you've brought it up...what is the best oil???

Chris
    The answer is none and no
    Warren
    2010 NT700V ABS Silver, #0225, "Arcee"
    1977 Yamaha XS650 (Sold)

My Gallery

Well that kind of squelched about 25 pages of this thread...

Chris

My Gallery

The Metzler Phil had on his NT was a motorcycle tire. To be on the dark side it has to be a car tire.

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    The Metzler Phil had on his NT was a motorcycle tire. To be on the dark side it has to be a car tire.
    So Phil running a bias tire makes him the "grey side"? Maybe we need a better "Dark Side" definition like Phil's lusting after a Ninja 1000....

+ New Posts
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast