tent poles

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
So, to get the most flexibility out of my packing routine I am considering getting a new set of poles made for my tent that will pack shorter to fit inside a case (about 18". Currently my poles are 22" long so don't fit inside any of my cases.

(when I had the NT it was perfect cause the poles fit nicely in the through hole)

So, an advantage or disadvantage to going with fiberglass again? Is aluminum any better or is it just lighter? Which material is toughest?

And, yes, it is a dome tent that the poles need to "bend".

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I think you can get some poles custom made. The ones on my marmot tent are 18" but my previous eureka had 16" poles which were so much better to pack.

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Thanks. Sounds like fiberglass is better way to go....and cheaper :) I like that.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
fiberglass poles can eventually splinter at the ends and those splinters can start to crack lengthwise down the pole. but this is after a lot of use. even if they start to splinter, they are still usable for quite some time (the connector parts they slide into can hold the splintered ends together).

the last couple tents i've purchased came with aluminum and i like them better - they are FAR more sturdy than the fiberglass poles i was familiar with. force sufficient to bend an aluminum pole would be enough to crack a fiberglass one i'd wager; i think it would be tough to do this accidentally on either of them. a slight bend in aluminum might still be usable - a huge bend close to 90 degrees would probably render it useless. similarly, a 90 degree bend on fiberglass would split it in half.

aluminum is more expensive, also.

thank you for the link for custom poles - i'll need to bookmark that one.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I managed to fall on my tent twice during my Epic Ride (I was putting it up in the dark on uneven ground. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!) and bent two sections of two poles. Both bends were long ones not sharp bends. The tent did fine even with the bends in the poles. I'm sticking to aluminum when I let Tentpole Technologies make new ones for me in the next couple of months.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
well phil, given a propensity to fall on your tent AND drink stove fuel - maybe you should consider the fancy carbon fiber or nanolite aluminum poles!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
What would that do to lessen the stove fuel consequences?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
well phil, given a propensity to fall on your tent AND drink stove fuel - maybe you should consider the fancy carbon fiber or nanolite aluminum poles!
I wasn't going to mention that (again), but consider one of those air beam tents with no poles.
And right after Phil's stove fuel consumption came the event of using his rolled up tent as a cell phone holder for two days. It is funnier now than it was then. I'm glad he didn't leave his motorcycle key in there too.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Using my tent as a cell phone holder was better than using the free taffy we got with breakfast in Lovell, WY, as a tooth holder. I'm just glad the dentist there got me into his chair and gave me a new crown in not much more than a half hour from the time I waked into his office. If we'd had to spend the whole morning in Lovell, Pete probably would have found us.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If given the choice, I think I would opt for the aluminum poles. I have seen too many fiberglass poles shatter catastrophically, especially when cold. Once shattered, they are useless. Aluminum on the other hand may bend, but they still remain usable.

Mike

Marker

I use aluminum poles and have a 4" piece of brass pipe I got at a plumbing store that I have used as a temporary repair of a pole that broke. Just slide the pipe over the pole to the broken section and you have a good repair that lasts.

skiper

I think Phil might have the beginnings of quite an "Act" if his bucket list ever includes Performing in a Circus .. Now if it could also have some Plate spinning - Fire Spitting - and Cooking Instruction , Wow - Step Right Up :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The carbon fiber ones would lessen the chance of a spark. And that could be very important if some of that gas you imbibed makes it back out when you fall....:rolleyes1:
OK. Thanks for the explanation -- and you may have a good point. I'll start looking for those carbon nano-tube tent poles.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
HMM, I am not sure about all of these Phil dangers! for some reason I doubt tht there will be a reoccurance of previous acts.
Seriously If I were getting new poles built I think the carbon fibre might be a good investment.

Eldon

Top Bottom