Time to fully inspect your rear end.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Patrick, I think you'll find that the All Balls bearings will also outlast the Honda bearings.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...I'm betting the dealer used the Moly 77 that Honda has listed as a replacement for Moly 60...Patrick]

Out of curiosity, where did you read that Moly 77 was an official replacement for Moly 60?

If you go to the official American Honda Motorcycle Div website that lists their chemicals, there is no listing for Moly 77.

Moly 77 is a Honda automobile chemical but that doesn't mean it's approved for use on the final drive splines of a motorcycle. It is for use on brake pads to reduce squealing, etc. Even if it were the same stuff as Moly 60 which is alleged by some, it comes in a tiny tube (similar in size to travel-size toothpaste tube) so is extremely expensive compared to a tube of Moly 60.

Last edited:
Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
Out of curiosity, where did you read that Moly 77 was an official replacement for Moly 60? - Dirtflier

It is what the service department of the Honda (and Yamaha, Suzuki, Moto Guzzi, Triumph, Kawasaki, etc.) looked up and brought me when I asked for the Honda Moly 60.

Dow Corning lists it for use as a plastic or metal-to-plastic lube which makes it fine for the o-rings. I have some Locktite Moly paste that will go on the splines.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I couldn't find my tube of Honda Moly 60 during last tire change. All I could find thru Honda was Honda Moly 77 Assembly Paste. Every dealer I talked to said that it was the replacement for Moly 60. It is more like a paste. The Honda Service folks that I talked to claim that is what they use on splines now. If someone hears different please let us know.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I stand corrected. :-(

I just looked at the latest American Honda website for oils & chemicals and they show M-77 Assembly Paste in the tube but not the large, cardboard tube of Moly 60 that I have in my toolbox. I will continue to use my Moly 60 until it's all gone but it'll take a while! :)

ps. some shops may (?) still have the original Moly 60 in inventory. It's P/N 08734-0001

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I stand corrected. :-(

I just looked at the latest American Honda website for oils & chemicals and they show M-77 Assembly Paste in the tube but not the large, cardboard tube of Moly 60 that I have in my toolbox. I will continue to use my Moly 60 until it's all gone but it'll take a while! :)

ps. some shops may (?) still have the original Moly 60 in inventory. It's P/N 08734-0001
The operative word is "Assembly" The Assembly Paste is used for the initial assembly of engine parts so as to have lubrication until the oil pump can get oil up to those parts. It is and should not be used for continuous lubrication of high stress/pressure parts, such as drive splines. Somebody at Honda or else where does not understand the difference. Use Molly 60 or a real equivalent for the rear drive and output shaft splines. That is how I interpret it and I will continue to use Molly 60 on my FJR splines. Just a suggestion; if you take your bike to a shop for tire changes bring along your own Moly 60 and have them use it. Then check your tube to see if they did use it.. I do my own tire changes so......

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Well..... I used M-77 on mine when the final drive components were replaced, that's what the local Honda dealer had. I'll let you know in a few months if the M-77 did it's job.

Brad

2010 NT Maroon

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The operative word is "Assembly" The Assembly Paste is used for the initial assembly of engine parts so as to have lubrication until the oil pump can get oil up to those parts. It is and should not be used for continuous lubrication of high stress/pressure parts, such as drive splines. Somebody at Honda or else where does not understand the difference. Use Molly 60 or a real equivalent for the rear drive and output shaft splines. That is how I interpret it and I will continue to use Molly 60 on my FJR splines. Just a suggestion; if you take your bike to a shop for tire changes bring along your own Moly 60 and have them use it. Then check your tube to see if they did use it.. I do my own tire changes so......
UPDATE: After doing some research I am still not convinced but here is the MSDS sheet for Honda's assembly paste M77. It says it has more than 50% but less than 70% Molly.

I can't get the PDF file to upload so here is the link. Maybe I am mistaken but I will continue to use Molly 60. https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/msds/us181804us_supplier.pdf

Last edited:

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I would use the Moly 60 if I could find it because the M-77 "Assembly Paste" title still makes me nervous despite checking with a number of Honda shops. The consistency is so much different. :shrug2: I guess I will see at the next wheel removal.

Bike
Loctite LB 8012 (also called Moly Paste) is 65% molybdenum disulfide and has pretty much the same consistency as the old Honda Moly 60. It's about $35.00 on Amazon for an 8 oz. tub with a brush applicator built into the lid. It'll be a few months before I'll know firsthand, but it has great reviews as a motorcycle final drive spline lube.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Loctite LB 8012 (also called Moly Paste) is 65% molybdenum disulfide and has pretty much the same consistency as the old Honda Moly 60. It's about $35.00 on Amazon for an 8 oz. tub with a brush applicator built into the lid. It'll be a few months before I'll know firsthand, but it has great reviews as a motorcycle final drive spline lube.
That sounds like a better deal than Honda's M77 to me. I was going to do some hunting for a high-moly paste, but you've beat me to it. Thanks!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
One thing to keep in mind in regards to finding a substitute for Moly 60 is that you only apply this stuff when the rear wheel is off - typically for a tire change - so it's not as if you need a large volume on hand. After I clean off the old stuff from both male and female splines, I apply Moly 60 using an ice cream stick and mostly fill-in the area between the teeth on the male (driven) splines. That only takes a tiny amount and any more than that is excess and ends up on the wheel hub after you ride it once!

ps. I wear disposable gloves for this task because Moly 60 can make a real mess on your hands.

Whenever I have the rear wheel off for some type of maintenance or tire replacement, I always clean the female and male splines and apply Honda Moly 60.
What do you use to clean those females splines, and what is your Technique? What type of degreaser, if any do you use? Are you just scoop out the old grease with a Q-tip or something?

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I wipe it as clean as possible with paper towels, then use Q-tips.

ps. Spraying the affected areas with some type of aerosol cleaner only seems to make a bigger mess for me to clean-up! :)

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Did you pull the retainer plate and look at them real close. Did they fit snug or just fall out on there own. Next tire change make sure you pull each one and also inspect the aluminum inserts. They should snap in the rubber and not slide around easily

Hmm... The wheel looks like it was a wheel intended for a chain drive applications that has been converted to accept a shaft drive hub. That would explain the aluminum inserts in the large rubber dampers and the plate to hold it all together. Most chain drive hubs have those dampers and usually last a lifetime. All my Goldwings that I had a circular rubber insert encased in a steel jacket. There were typically 4 of these pressed into the hub and I never had an issue with any of them.

Bike
Just an update...the new rear wheel bearings, o-rings, cush rubbers and grease or moly paste everywhere specified in the NT shop manual did the trick. The vibration and noise is gone just in time for the weather to turn into winter. :mad:

Top Bottom