Downsizing The Garage....Round Two

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Today I swapped the Tri-Glide in on a new 2014 Dyna Switchback FLD in Amber Whiskey. I hadn't been really happy on three wheels for awhile and I finally got off my butt and moved back to two wheels for my primary bike. I did a lot of research, looking around, test rides, and thinking before the trade. The Switchback utilizes the same 103 CI motor as the Tri-Glide as well as the six speed transmission with different gear ratios. It has ABS, H-D Security System, a removable windshield, removable soft lowers, removable 20 liter (each) saddlebags, with a very comfortable riding position. All my lighting farkles and other "stuff" I stripped off the Tri-Glide fit it! :woohoo:

The first runner up was a slightly different bike, :rolleyes1: the 2014 FJR... But I couldn't reach a satisfactory deal, at least for me the "stealer" would have been very happy, on the FJR. My local H-D dealer gave me a great deal on the Switchback, on my trade in Tri-Glide, plus rolled over my maintenance plan and extended warranty....:D You have to love the end of month / end of quarter deals you can get some times. Here are a couple pictures in my cluttered garage...:rolleyes1:

Now I need to get it broke in before the TNT...:D

Bike
Honda NT700V
My riding partner has a Switchback and he's never removed any of the removable stuff. But he doesn't have the soft lowers.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
VERY NICE! I love the color. Is that a single side EXH System?

skiper

That Machine gots the Look - gonna be real nice to ride it into the fresh sunrise ,, and back into the suns set .. + Great Scheme on the FJ too

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
But he doesn't have the soft lowers.
Mine are on order and are aftermarket Desert Dawgs. As long as he has the "Engine Guard" he can easily add a set of Desert Dawgs that work very well...I've used them before and they are well worth the money. These are something that pops up on eBay quite often as "knock off" brands as well....

Is that a single side EXH System?
Yes, the Switchback has a Two into One exhaust... And it is actually a bit quieter than the OEM duals on the Tri-Glide which was a bit surprising.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I hadn't planned on buying a cruiser any time soon, but when the switchback first became available I checked them out. Out of everything in the HD lineup it is the one I would look at as well. Yours looks great and love the color.

I have a co-worker who used to have an electra glide, but sold it. He rode a Bonneville for awhile then sold it. He felt his batwing glide was too big and the Bonneville too small. Overall he said he enjoyed the big HD more. I asked if he had heard about the Switchback and he hadn't, so I suggested he check them out. He is bikeless for the moment.

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I have a co-worker who used to have an electra glide, but sold it. He rode a Bonneville for awhile then sold it. He felt his batwing glide was too big and the Bonneville too small.
I've had a Bonnie and the Tri-Glide is the same front end as an UltraGlide, appearance wise, and I'd agree. Hey! Maybe the Switchback is the "just right" in Goldilocks and the Three Bears... :crackup: :rofl1: Time, and miles, will tell if that is the case...:) If he enjoyed the ElectraGlide more he'd probably like the Switchback as it is the 103 CI motor and six speed transmission with a lot less weight. But it does come with less features than a ElectraGlide, no cruise control, no radio / intercom, no Tour Pak, and smaller saddle bags would be at the top of the list. But the Bonnie had none of those either. The nice thing is the H-D accessory catalog, or the aftermarket, probably has about anything you would want to add to a Switchback...

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
congrats on the new ride, wayne!

just out of curiosity, what were some of your primary gripes with the trike?

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
what were some of your primary gripes with the trike?
Basically, for me a trike is not the same fun experience as riding a motorcycle. I just didn't feel like I was "riding"...or even "driving". The different steering, with no counter steering, different braking dynamics, and the overall handling is more car like...without the car benefits. I rode the new Spyder and even as an "inverted" trike it was the same feeling, if not worse due to the car features like power steering.

When my wife and I attended the MSF Three Wheel Basic Rider Course (3WBRC) together she was a much better "rider" than me and did very well in the class. Yes, I admit I had my butt whopped by a newbie on the range...:rolleyes1: The instructor commented how well she was doing and I think he hit it right with his comments that she didn't need to overcome, or unlearn, my 40+ years of riding experience and it didn't "feel" wrong to her as a new rider. Her only recent riding experience was attending the "regular" BRC earlier that year. The biggest issue she had with the Tri-Glide was the upper body workout you get steering a trike, played havoc with one of her shoulders.

I suggest anyone considering a trike, or even a sidecar rig, should take the 3WBRC first to see what it is all about. Note: It wasn't offered when I bought mine...:rolleyes1: And then if they are still interested they should rent one for at least a week to really try it out before buying one. You really need to try it out on the same routes you normally "ride". When I can't handle two wheels any longer I'm buying another Mustang GT convertible...:eek1:

tawilke46

Great color Wayne, I really like that color. I would like to know how much you like it once you get a few miles under your belt.

Top Bottom