Combination lock draw bolt style latches on saddlebags

c2010nt

Hey guys, A few months back I was talking to a few of you about latch options to be "proactive" and I decided to get rid of the horrid Honda latching mech. on the NT. I did some research and found a 3 digit combo lock drawbolt (http://franzeninternational.thomasnet.com/item/standard-case-locks/drawbolts/item-1020)

I think it ran me around $28.00 total for 2 latches shipped to my door (can't remember exactly - I've had em a few months)

So I recently was able to get some work done to the NT and I ended up getting them installed. I haven't ridden more then around the block with them installed (its still a bit chilly in Michgan and we have had rain etc.) I'll post a few pics and instructions, stay posted for how I like riding with them day to day. I figure WORST case and I hate them or they don't work as well as I figured I can remove and only have a few tiny holes I can cover up with some reflective tape etc. I'd rather not get locked out of my side cases, or have my stuff fall out during a ride due to Honda latch failure.

Here it goes...

As the saying goes, measure twice cut once.. (or drill in this case)

I tried a few mounting positions with blue painters tape before hand and I decided were would work best. I measured and drilled my first hole.
1.jpg

I had to be careful of the internal rib Honda has on the back of the lid where the seal meets. I didn't want to hit it right in the middle or too close to the edge and weaken the plastic. The holes are in the lid further down away from the edge.

I then test fitted the latch with a rivet, then put my backer washers I purchased on to disperse tension on the plastic.
2.jpg

I did NOT let the rivet gun snap the stub off the rivet (for fear of cracking my lid) so I let the rivet grip tight and cut it with a dremel.

After I measured and test fit the metal edge I lined it up and drilled.
3.jpg

With the help of my brother I was able to reach in and place washers between the plastic and rivet head.

Everything worked out well, and 2 hours or so later (I'm a perfectionist) they were installed and working.
4.jpg
5.jpg

Let me know if you guys have questions!

Chad

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Chad - excellent!! Thanx for posting this. I'm waiting for a set of big lids to come in next month.

I like your solution, though I'm a bit of a coward and wonder about having only one latch.

Keep us posted on how well they work.

OP
OP

c2010nt

Comanche,
I had the same fear about only having one latch but once I got them mounted and saw how tightly they close I didn't think twice about it.
The stock Honda twisted piece of stamped 1/16th gauge steel was loose when I went to remove them. Who knows how much longer the stock system would have held closed.

I'm going to hopefully put some miles on it next weekend if we get a warm up. I want to throw some unused items in the bags and test the latch's ability before I start touring for the yer. I have a new gps on the way for the bike so It might be an extended test ride :)

OP
OP

c2010nt

Good question Falcon, Its a sturdy latch, good quality metal & plastic etc. I believe the metal is stainless (or its coated to look like it) so I don't see it rusting. I suppose dirt could get into the mechanism, but it would be easy to clean out because you can see into the mech. when the latch is open. There aren't a lot of moving parts (fewer then the stock Honda) They seem to be sturdy and everything is sealed well, you can even set your own combination. I looked into using 2 key style draw bolt latches on each lid, but the last thing I wanted was another key to fumble through. The other thing that was off-putting was the fact that ALL the manufacturers of the key style draw bolt latches use the SAME key (and its not even really a key more of a straight head screwdriver with a notch in it) the LAST thing I wanted was someone to be able to open up my bags with a paper clip or a screwdriver. Thus I found the combo style lock. I'm doing the lake superior circle tour later in the year and I'll put them to the test. If I hate em' I'll go back to stock and keep the mechanism cleaned, but I don't really see that happening.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Nice job. I like the combo idea. Just don't use WD40 on them. Use one of those 'dry' gun lubricants.

Bike
Honda NT700V
the LAST thing I wanted was someone to be able to open up my bags with a paper clip or a screwdriver.
I should point out that anyone who wants into your bags can easily pry them open with a screwdriver. The locks will only deter an unmotivated opportunist.

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
Looks like a good fix. Thanks for sharing and if I get motivated, I may install these, although I have never had any trouble yet, Mainly because I use my top box all the time and haven't carried a load in the panniers, as I haven't been able to get away for a real trip in the 4 years I've had the bike. Just ride to work as much as I can.

OP
OP

c2010nt

I'll try to address everybody in one post

JQL - the latch itself is about the size of a post-it note pad, so it does'nt stick up more than 1/2" from the surface of the luggage, and they are in line with the grab bars, so unless you kick you leg over and have your boot basically dragging your panniers there is no way to hit them.

Charlie - I intend to use graphite to lubricate both the combination and the latch mechanism.

T-weeder - I just took off the 2 stamped metal latches on the pannier lid 1 philips head screw each. I left all mechanism for the stock release intact, that way should I ever decide to go back I don't need to fumble with the old mechanism.

bicyclist - This is true, however the stock locking mechanism could also be pried open to gain access. The latch is very heavy duty, I believe they are German made. In my search I saw them used on violin & guitar cases.... something that could just be stolen in the case and opened somewhere else. I never leave anything of value on the bike unattended (panniers hold a change of clothes, shoes etc) I guess my saying someone opening them with a screwdriver was more of saying open them with anything at hand (a set of car keys could work in the other "locking draw latches") think airline luggage keys... their all the same I've personally opened mine with a paperclip. The way I see it if anybody wants anything they are going to take it, I have locks for my helmet, scissors will fix that etc. The NT itself can be hotwired in less then 3 minutes (don't ask me how I know) with a Philips head screwdriver and very basic electrical knowledge (more of color matching). so if somebody wants my t-shirts, boxers and flip flops and are willing to bust my latches to get them, so be it.

Dannyjo - I have not had trouble with my latches yet either, I want to be proactive and not locked out of them somewhere etc. Plus I like the fact that I do not have to have ignition key (or any key) to open them.

Chad

OP
OP

c2010nt

Chris,
That depends how far I am into the journey :turtle:

OP
OP

c2010nt

Falcon,
That's very true, I usually do not leave the helmet with the bike. I have that same irrational fear of someone taking my lid when I'm not watching it. Sometimes there are situations where I just leave it locked to the bike if its unavoidable. I guess if someone does steal the helmet I hope the karma gods catch them. I wouldn't ride with a stolen helmet, but who knows :confused:

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I leave my helmet hooked on the back of the bike a lot (unlocked). Mostly when I am running into a store.

If I stop for lunch and can't see the bike then I usually carry it with me.

The 'risky' times are when playing tourist. I cable lock my helmet and jacket to the bike, but, I trust to luck the contents of my tankbag and duffel bag. I don't keep anything really valuable in them, rain gear, clothes, non-prescription medicine, extra visor, etc. The bike has sat in a crowded parking lot for several hours unattended without an issue, so far. One day I know I will come back to a mess.

I love this solution and installed two of these latches on each of my new large pannier lids while replacing the small ones a couple of years ago. I removed the old sheet metal brackets and left the rest of the mechanism intact incase a new owner wants to switch back.

Thanks for a great solution!
ToddTool

Procrastination finally got the best of me resulting in one of my panniers disengaging and shattering all over the highway. Luckily, no other damage was encountered and no items lost. The vendor link in the initial post is no longer valid. By chance, does anyone have a update URL or a list of sites that provide similar locking mechanisms?

I got mine from through Amazon.com....from CA Hardware Southco brand with all matching keys...powder coated and weatherproof..Installed with pop rivets through the plastic with washers underneath where they could be fitted...not much room there....very satisfied and I don't need to keep checking to see if my lids are still there....$12.80 each..

lynnbpa

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Searching for latches (precautionary measure to get ahead of the problem), I like the Franzen combination lock type best. I decided I'm going to use a second latch on each cover, as some others have done. Franzen website shows combination lock version (#1470-1) for $15.00 ea; and a matching non-locking latch (#1470-3), no price listed. Website is a little flaky that way, so I called to investigate purchase of 2 each of the listed items. I was quoted $10.00 each for the 4 latches and $6.50 shipping (they're in New Jersey, I'm in Pennsylvania; might be a little higher for you west coasters). Like the web site, the phone calls and emails that went into gathering the information and ultimately placing the order (around noon today) were a little flaky; we'll see how it shakes out, but all seems to be in order now. I called the Franzen Int'l number (201-405-2228) and spoke with Rose; the subsequent calls and emails were all with Rose (rose@franzenint.com).

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I finally have to admit defeat after repairing the pannier latch mounting posts again and plan to install external latches to use as support for the std ones which are now working very nicely again. I have been in touch with Franzen via email (I am in Southern Oz) and the lady replied that she needed my full address to calculate freight to OZ for two of the Combination Latches (1470-1) and confirmed that Paypal was acceptable. I sent that more than a week ago but have heard no more. The first response was within 36 hours of my email but nothing since. I don't believe that Christmas Holidays are a problem as she did not mention anything about that. I surmise that they have decided that it is not worth their time and effort to send two latches all this way. I am currently looking for an alternative but I did like the look of these latches. Pity.

Macka

Top Bottom