Combination lock draw bolt style latches on saddlebags

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Macka if it falls through let me know and I can reach out to a US friend on the CX500 forum who may be able to help out. I may also get a set and then get them all shipped to me via my friend in the US. I can then send yours onto you in Victoria.

Seagrass

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Macka if it falls through let me know and I can reach out to a US friend on the CX500 forum who may be able to help out. I may also get a set and then get them all shipped to me via my friend in the US. I can then send yours onto you in Victoria.

Seagrass
Thanks for the kind offer. I will wait until the New Year and see what happens. I really like the look of these latches! They should look good and not out of place on the Black NT. If I get a positive result I will let you know in case you want me to double the order. Merry Christmas.

Macka

Bike
2010 NT700V
Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I just received my two Franzen latches to install before I have pannier latch failure. To my dismay, they did not come with a drilling template to locate the mounting holes. Does anyone have the template or a drawing or dimensions? I'm not a big fan of trial and error.

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Mike, I checked with Redneck Engineering and they said you can make your own templates. They recommend using a beer can and an awl. That ain't the kind of awl ya'll put in your crankcase though. It is more like a sharpened nail.

When I mounted mine I drilled oversized holes so spacing wasn't critical. Then I used epoxy to equalize the spacing differences (if any) and to compensate for the curvature of the cases themselves. In addition I used a piece of sheet metal for a backing plate with epoxy under that too. My intent was to take as much stress off of the fragile plastic as possible. The process required a dry fit and some careful masking taping along with some release agent on the parts that weren't supposed to stick to each other. Worked fine, but I breathed a sigh of release when they acturally opened.

Southco has their templates on the internet. Don't know about yours.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
An old trick to make a template is to put something wet (paint?) on the back of the part you wish to install. Then place on surface that has masking tape, this should leave a impression to make the hole locations.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Yabbut the latch and the hasp are two separate parts. The latch is an over-center type mechanism that draws the two sections together tightly thus the location of the latch with respect to the hasp is critical. I emailed Franzen and they did not have a drilling template, but they were kind enough to send an engineering drawing which shows the correct dimensions for installation.

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
The latch is an over-center type mechanism that draws the two sections together tightly thus the location of the latch with respect to the hasp is critical.
Right, and because of that and the curvature of the case they tend to draw a little on the "tight" side if you use template that is intended for parallel surfaces. The spacing between the latch pieces can be critical. Some latches have some spring tension built in and some don't. You might try some two-sided carpet tape to mount them up temporarily and see how they will fit.

posi

Hi guys. Just checking in from Brit land to see if those of you that fitted the Franzen latches have found them to work in practice. What has been your experience with them. And ...

Macka - did yours ever arrive?

ps. wish I could find a nice Europe map for my sig :(

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Hi guys. Just checking in from Brit land to see if those of you that fitted the Franzen latches have found them to work in practice. What has been your experience with them. :(
Mine have worked great - no problems.

posi

Thanks RedLdr1 - now I look prettier. Few more of those white bits to disappear next month down in bandit country - the Balkans.

If I can get my panniers sorted out. I had trouble with the right side previously after a spring popped off and came home covered in duck tape. I have to keep my bike outside all winter and when I came to open a pannier it was if the spring had fallen again as it would not latch. A grope under the seat showed that it was the whole mechanism sagging this time. So it's time for a radical solution as I am not putting up with any more dramas when all I want to do is ride

The Franzen's are made in Germany and I have a contact there so happy days

edit - and strangely my map shows in post above but disappeared from here. Anyone know why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Hi guys. Just checking in from Brit land to see if those of you that fitted the Franzen latches have found them to work in practice. What has been your experience with them. And ...

No! Mine never did arrive. I ended up using a different type that I bought on ebay. I have been very happy with them so far with two on each pannier.
If I can figure out how to do it I will post a link to the catches and some pictures. They are black and suit the black bike perfectly as well as working well.

Macka

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
edit - and strangely my map shows in post above but disappeared from here. Anyone know why?
posi, I have no idea why that happens, but it happens sometimes to me. Usually if I reopen the post to edit and then save it again, then it shows up the next time I look. Good luck!

posi

Thank you all for your signature suggestions. What a nightmare. The 100 x 500 pixel format seems to suit USA but unfortunately Europe is square :) and all the counrtries are smaller than your States. So 100 x 100 will be the best I can do if I can find a suitable free prog to do it

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
So 100 x 100 will be the best I can do if I can find a suitable free prog to do it
Make your map, then start a new thread in the Off Topic section and attach it to your post and I'll edit it with Photoshop to 100X100 and send it back to you...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Make your map, then start a new thread in the Off Topic section and attach it to your post and I'll edit it with Photoshop to 100X100 and send it back to you...
Wanna' do two of 'em? I tried and got a map made, but like posi said, it was so small that I can't make out the countries.

Mine have been working great for three years now but I suggest that you latch and roll the combo before riding. There have been some reports of them popping open if not locked.

Top Bottom