How Do You Tie Down Your Gear?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
First issue is whether or not you have a top case. If you do my method is out.

I made a luggage tie out of aluminum.

IMG_0005.jpg

Then I attach my duffel and dry bag with ROK straps like below.

DSCN0803.jpg

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?6565-Topcase-Question

If you have a Honda topcase & bracket, the above link my be helpful. Read thru the link, it shows what I did to give a good tie down point under the the OEM top case. I use 1.5" straps that I had custom ordered thru strapworks.com. Or I can use ROK straps. Everything is held in on the passenger seat and held tightly against the top box....it doesn't move forward when braking hard.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have a top box I use on trips, so I have always strapped a dry bag to the pillion seat. However under the top box is a sw motech alurack which has tie down spots. Also, I use rok straps instead of bungies. I only need two for strapping dry bag to grab handles on pass seat. Dry bag essentially carries camping gear. I have some photos in my albums. Most are from my first trip where I used a thermarest luxury map sleeping pad. It rolls up and is bulky and accounts for the width of the dry bag. I replaced it with an xped and it packs much smaller.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I had a trunk so used the passenger grab handles. Mostly used an adjustable form of bunge cord. But, you could also use ropes or loop rokstraps or something similar.

20120915_175122.jpg

20120923_101456.jpg

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I tied my Dry-Spec bags to the grab rails and then to holes in the Alu-Rack under my trunk. I used ROK straps.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
My homemade mount for the Givi mounting shoe has two U-loops welded in place - about 1" wide and they face forward. I also made & added U-loops that attach to the 8 mm bolt that secures the passenger hand rails. There are two 8 mm bolts on each side and I used the forward bolt. I'm currently using Rok straps and really love their versatility and ease of adjustment. The Roks have just enough elastic to provide tension but not enough to allow stuff to come loose. For long trips I use a Helen2Wheels bag and it has several places where the Rok straps can be fed through open loops to add security.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
All the ideas are good. Thank you. But a specific question for charlie b...How did you tie that blue bag on? I see it there in the picture, but I have no idea what you found to fasten the straps to.

What are you guys/gals finding is a good length of strap to get?

Chris
Chris,

If you look under that blue bag you'll see the black hooks (the bungees are grey) on the passenger grap rail. There are four of them. Two use criss crossed bungees on the blue bag and the other two go up over the chair.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Nite-Ize-Knotbone-Flat-Bungee/productDetail/Tarps-Rope-and-Tie-Downs/prod999901364050/cat100936

I also like these for various tied down jobs
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Nite-Ize-Figure-9-Carabiner-Small/productDetail/Tarps-Rope-and-Tie-Downs/prod99990134224/cat100936
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Nite-Ize-S-Biner-Number-2/productDetail/Tarps-Rope-and-Tie-Downs/prod99990134235/cat100936

ROK straps are the best alternative, IMHO. I just have not taken the time to get some. Will have to do that one of these days.

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Last but not least. That dry bag is a 12" dia one. Too big. If stuffed full it presses forward. So, get a smaller dia one, or, like I did, don't stuff it full.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Here is how I tied my gar bag on to the NT. I had used green bungee cords on this trip and looped them under the grab handles and then hooked them to the top box plate. At the other end I hooked them to the hook loops on the top box.

Attachments

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Okay - ROK straps seem to be a fan favorite. I've been using bungees, but never liked that a good bounce could dislodge a hook.

Adjustable or non-adjustable ROK straps?

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I've been a fan of basic nylon straps w/quick disconnects. Tried Rok straps and like them, DO NOT LIKE bungees at all due to the energy stored up and taking an eye out.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I made a copy of the bar passing thru the OEM topbox mount.(pic in the middle) Works like a charm. Made it myself. Cost: $15

Also...ROK straps are the way to go. If you try them you will swear by them

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I have to disagree with you, Rick
The whole secret of the ROK strap is that a portion of it does have some elastic properties. Thus, it WANTS to stay tight at all times. There is no danger of injury from recoil because you relieve the tension in the straps BEFORE you unclasp the buckles

If there was no elastic portion, the straps could work themselves loose

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I use the stretch version... It's similar material as bungee cords however only a small section is stretch so the energy stored there is minimal... on bungees, the energy is stored along the entire cord and you can really make some sections more tight than others which is the issue. With Rok straps the stretch section is small so allows you to cinch things up tightly but once you press the clips to release the cords, little 'snap back' is there whereas a bungee cord turns into a flying ut of control hook.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Thanx to the three of you.

Normally, I carry all I need in my panniers and top case, but once in awhile, I need to strap on a small item - like a camera bag. I never really liked bungee cords - the ROK straps seems much better.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I just want to know the best way to tie the gear down whether that's with or without modifications to the bike.
If you have the OEM topbox, i dont think you can beat the setup me and one other guy have with the shaft collared tubing passing thru the base for the topbox...see middle pic of red NT looking down

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I just want to know the best way to tie the gear down whether that's with or without modifications to the bike.
See Here for how I added a secure mount to tie my gear down on the NT. And look at Post 9 in that thread for a way to add more carrying capacity....

Top Bottom