tent fans

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
OK, so I know someone in here has used one, I just can't find out which one.

The ones I have seen either are too big or they look like they won't do much.

I will be camping in Aug this year in Moab area and Yellowstone. I suspect Moab I'll need something to keep a little cool at night (if there are no thunderstorms).

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
So, since they both work ok, does one pack better than the other? The Coleman looks smaller but will those blades break or deform?

Inquiring minds want to know :)

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
The coleman blades are rubber / flexible plastic and you can pop them off like a propeller.

The other one is bigger and packs in a box and noisy because the base that allows for the tilt has a loud click to each setting.

The o2 has more batteries so is heavier and bigger to pack but will push more air. At the moment, I prefer that one over the coleman as the magnetic base on the coleman will break after a while - the thin tabs holding the base to the fan break off.

The o2 is my choice.

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, have been through there many times and stayed overnight a few times. Will only be my second time actually visiting the area (the other time was 15 years ago).

"Cooling off" is relative :) All depends on the weather that day. Some nights it will get down in the 60's, others it will stay warmer. Problem is trying to get to sleep when it is still 80 :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I carried the Coleman fan Joe showed on the Epic Ride and used it a few nights. It's still working.

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
OK. The magnetic base on it really would not be used anyway. I'd use a piece of rope to "sling" it inside the tent, or, lay it on it's side on the chair.

Decisions, decisions. Guess I have to go around and look at some.

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Nope, only batteries.

But, they do make 12v muffin fans. Hmmm, maybe evern 5V. Need to do some looking. They are tough and efficient.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
We camped at Moab a few years ago it cools off at night just fine.it's beautiful there enjoy the trip.
I tent camped there ONE night last june. I had planned on riding the white rim trail, but it was soo hot, even at night I headed west. Crossing the high desert in nevada was cooler than Moab at that particular time. I did not pack any kind of fan cause i was in minimalist mode. It was hot.

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
OK, so muffin fans. McMaster Carr. 48CFM, 12V, 13hrs on 8 ea AA batteries. Or 108CFM, 12V, 4hrs on 8ea AA batteries (or 12hrs on 8ea C-cell).

But, $50 for the muffin fan.

Need more searching :)

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Has anyone looked for a high efficiency, low amperage draw, 12VDC fan that they could run off their bikes battery? I have 25 foot extension cords for my Battery Tender that could be used to power a fan, or LED lighting, in a tent. I would not suggest running a fan for several hours on the bikes battery but a battery in good shape should be able to run one for a couple hours and still start the bike. Or a second, small, independent 12VDC battery that you charge during the day, using cigarette lighter style battery charger, would be another option....

Bike
Honda NT700V
Charlie, look around for a 12 v fan from an old computer. Should be able to find one super cheap. I put a cigarette lighter plug on one to fool around with. As Wayne said, you could charge a separate battery from the bike while you were riding and have juice at night to run the fan and and an LED.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
This O2Cool fan on Ebay looks interesting... See Here. It ain't cheap, or particularly small, but it has multiple power source options.

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, muffin fans. Common on electrical equipment, including computers. Most of the mid size ones run on 12V (that's why my numbers above show 12V and 8 batteries to put out the 12V). There are smaller ones that run on 5V, commonly used on higher power computer CPU's. 2-3" square.

The mid size 12V fans draw about .5A A bike battery would run one for a day or two.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
There are fewer bugs at Spearfish than there are in Fort Morgan. But I don't think there are as many feedlots or dairies in Spearfish as there are around here.

I don't remember any mosquitoes. I don't think I've been bitten any during the two years we've gone there.

What kind of ventilation do you get through your tube? It sounds hot to me.

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I attract mosquitos like bees to honey. If there is one within a mile it will find me. Even wearing a Tshirt the little buggars will get to me through the material.

I never sleep without protection from 'critters'. From living in the desert. On a cool evening everything with 100yds will look for the warm spot (you). That includes scorpions, snakes, and others you really don't want to have in your sleeping bag. As a kid I remember another kid's dad who was killed by a sidewinder that got UP into his cot with him. When he moved the snake bit him in the neck.

So, I am always in a tent or other type protection (not just netting). In really bad areas (like around swamps) I will have netting INSIDE a good tent.

Top Bottom