Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'll get in, too:

Colorado 92 from US-50 to Crawford

CO-141 from Naturita to Whitewater

CO-14 from Ted's Place on US-287 to Walden

Mine is the Mountain Loop Highway on Hiway 20 I think that takes you over the Cascades to Winthrop, WA. This is rated the number one bike trip in Washington State. Great roads. Chris' pictures of the backside of Mount St. Helens shows the good highway, not the stuff where the pavement is not so great, BUT much of the way is a lovely road.

Terry

OP
OP
bicyclist
Bike
Honda NT700V
The idea is to post specific roads that you know to be outstanding so that others can research them for future rides.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Pacific Coast Highway, the section North of SF and the other section south of Monterey.

Utah: UT-12 Grand Escalante

Too many shorter sections of roads of roads to list. These I will ride again or I do on a regular basis.

New Mexico: NM-14 to Sandia Crest. NM-4 From Los Alamos to US 550. NM-15 from Silver City to the Gila Cliff Dwellings.

Arizona: US89 south of Prescott, US89A from Prescott to Cottonwood.

California: CA4 (Alpine Hwy) across the Sierra's.

New York: US 9W north of NYC and US9/US6/NY9D on the other side of the Hudson. NY218 north of West Point.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
This could become one great treasure trove of information.

Here's one of mine - in northern New Mexico. Not that technically difficult, but the scenery is breathtaking. Some cool little places too: the family ski resort (and golf course) of Angel Fire, the fishing town of Eagle Nest, funky old mining town of Red River and Taos - what can I say except that it's Taos. Check out Taos Pueblo and be sure to ride over the Rio Grande Gorge bridge.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I rode US-64 from Eagle's Nest to Taos last May... in cold, hard rain. I need to go back.

+1 on UT-12 from Torrey to Bryce Canyon NP.

CO-141 hasn't been particularly hot when I've ridden it and it's always been during the summer.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I rode US-64 from Eagle's Nest to Taos last May... in cold, hard rain. I need to go back. . .
Tsk tsk tsk - EAGLE Nest, not Eagle's Nest. :doh1: (Just yankin' your chain, Phil. Most people make the name plural.)

If you went from Eagle Nest to Taos via Angel Fire and the Vietnam Memorial there, you rode through the only technical area of the ride.

I plan on riding this route after Spearfish - Taos to Angel Fire, then south on Rt 434 (very narrow) to Mora, then the high road through Pe?asco and Truchas into Santa Fe, then down the back way through Madrid to Albuquerque. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
What do you all think of making a folder in the Riding Forums called "Bucket List Rides" with separate threads for each state? It would make finding / referencing roads much easier, especially if you are like me and have one too many things to do while traveling.

Would that be possible, mods??
Great idea!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
PS there is also a site just for good roads in California. Don't remember where the site was.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
There are two I like in the UK Lake District area.

1. Devil's Bridge, Kirkby Lonsdale to Cockermouth. Via the A65, A591 and some back roads. Route

2. Keswick to Keswick round Buttermere over Honister Pass.

A video I found on YouTube of Honister Pass:
Honister Pass

You can also try and do the 3 main Passes in a day: Hardknott, Wrynose and Honister

Once I get on my real computer, not the tablet, I'll post the routes.

Last edited:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
What do you all think of making a folder in the Riding Forums called "Bucket List Rides" with separate threads for each state? It would make finding / referencing roads much easier, especially if you are like me and have one too many things to do while traveling.

Would that be possible, mods??
There's several ways to do this.

At ST-Owners, I have a route data base where you can upload a mapsource file and attach jpg files and when you do it auto-creates a thread in a specific forum.

I can have one forum called Favorite Roads - and then prefixes for each state rather than a sub-forum for each state.. or have a sub forum for each state like we do in the regional section but that seems like too much to me.

The route database sounds like a great idea but there's not much discussion around it since it's a different look/feel from the rest of the site but it's organized nicely.

Top Bottom